• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Enclosure and New Bed

rmzsuzuki89

montana said:
Fold up steps ???

Na, I think I'm just gonna make a ladder and hard mount it.

MuddyRedneck said:
yeah i considered a ladder, but i got knee problems so a 3 foot high bed is already gonna be a trip, lol so i figure go the extra mile with the steps and then if i can do em right he can even use them as a hide. yours really does look good so far tho, cant wait to see the finished product. what is it like 8x4x3?

The steps doubling as a hide would be cool, I didn't think of that...And it's 81" x 61" x 34"ish, so 6' 9" x 5' 1" x 34"ish.

rmzsuzuki89

Started on the floor of the cage today.

2qbvwgz.jpg

2607683.jpg

Just used the primer from painting the bed part because it matched my carped and looked better than the raw osb. The whole inside of the cage will be DryLocked when done. Haven't decided if I wanna go with about the same gray that it is now, or a darkish green, or a tan, or a darker brown.
23hu9o1.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do a little work on it. Gonna go back around the bottom with black to clean up the primer overlap.

G

Looks great but you may wish you had used plywood instead of the chip board ... I was thinking you could use a two foot ramp with a flat step into the bed .. Some time ago I wintered in a small cabin I built in the wilderness . It was heated by a small sheet metal stove and the only [warm] spot was in the loft .. The cabin was to small to build steps so I did the old ladder to the loft thing . The ladder was ok for getting into bed but getting out when you are tired and in the dark to feed the stove or go outside to do your business was at best dangerous..I am not real big on ladders [tho they are easy to build] .. all the same your enclosure is way cool ..

rmzsuzuki89

montana said:
Looks great but you may wish you had used plywood instead of the chip board ... I was thinking you could use a two foot ramp with a flat step into the bed .. Some time ago I wintered in a small cabin I built in the wilderness . It was heated by a small sheet metal stove and the only [warm] spot was in the loft .. The cabin was to small to build steps so I did the old ladder to the loft thing . The ladder was ok for getting into bed but getting out when you are tired and in the dark to feed the stove or go outside to do your business was at best dangerous..I am not real big on ladders [tho they are easy to build] .. all the same your enclosure is way cool ..

How come you don't like the osb for cages?

G

Plywood is stronger and more water proof .. I would use 3/4 inch ... I just dont like the stuff where moisture is .. Long ago it was real crap .. It gets moisture in it and puffs all up then falls through .. I`ve been recently working on old trailers for some one and they had been previously remodeled with that and thats all I needed to see .. If thats what you have go ahead and use it ... but its not forever ...

rmzsuzuki89

montana said:
Plywood is stronger and more water proof .. I would use 3/4 inch ... I just dont like the stuff where moisture is .. Long ago it was real crap .. It gets moisture in it and puffs all up then falls through .. I`ve been recently working on old trailers for some one and they had been previously remodeled with that and thats all I needed to see .. If thats what you have go ahead and use it ... but its not forever ...

I'm not too worried about it's strength, its braced beneath with 2x4s and can support my weight without any problem. And it will be sealed completely so moisture won't be a problem.

I do know what you mean about wood swelling though. I use mdf wood in my car, and if it gets even the smallest amount of moisture on it, 3/4" will turn into 1" lol.

rmzsuzuki89

Got a lil more done today. Just one side, but some progress is better than no progress. With Apophis hibernating, there's no hurry lol.

2ypeolj.jpg

33p79fn.jpg

zsg9g.jpg

35a5eol.jpg

242bjg3.jpg

rmzsuzuki89

montana said:
It looks nice almost there now!!!

Lol ya, actually starting to look like an enclosure. Thanks to hibernation, I can do a lil work every few days, and still have plenty of time left over lol.

G

I really like this idea. I'd like to see some photos of the completed enclosure too!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^^You've come so far Montana!!!

and yes rmzsuzuki89, we really do need to see another round of pics...

turtlepunk

man i would REALLY like to see how this turned out!! rmzsuzuki you really need to post some pics!! :D
Im definately going to have to build an enclosure/bed like this to save some floor space in my tiny room! Im in love with this idea!

rmzsuzuki89

It's been a while I guess lol. Apophis hibernated for a while, and I ended up getting caught up in a lot of stuff for school. But now that he's awake and growing like a weed, I guess I need to get back to work lol.

Hot a little more done today. Now I just gotta DryLock it all, and mount the door, plexi, lighting, and the fogger and hygrometer.

Door hole and one of the vents.
2rc38dc.jpg

ifst3s.jpg

Front
2rf7eoz.jpg

Window holes.
2yls806.jpg

28qdl3.jpg

Does that look to be enough ventilation, or should I add some more somewhere?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980