• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Sumatran Water Monitor

yulyani

(From my simple minds)....to achieve the best husbandry and keeping technique, sometimes we need to go through "the not gentle/nice debates"....from my opinion it is completely ok.... and we don't have to take it personally,...there is always price to achieve very good skills in keeping every pets (not only monitor lizards). I have been critized by a lot of friends, including the forum friends, even the simple keepers,...until the international reptile contest judge from russia,...and I really listen "what" they said and mean to me...Finally i digest the best of them and I apply whatever realistic and applicable in my husbandry....one thing for sure monitor lizards, they don't show symptoms until it is too late...so even the best veterinary technology is sometimes limited to help them,........that's why prevention is the number one key

m3s4

James - I do share, I shared PHOTOS and ended getting way more then I ever asked for.

Sharing anything else, public forum or not, is strictly my concern.

And for the record, I don't owe anyone any explanations, any advice, any husbandry techniques or anything else for that matter.

If anyone of you want to show me how to do it better, cool...Go get a water monitor and show me how it's done and stop parroting what everyone else is saying that doesn't even have one - including you.

Go get one and share your success story, if you ever even have one.

Wil

5 Year Member
For anyone interested in monitors I would suggest going to http://varanidae.org/biawak , there is a lot of good information and you don't have to deal with the varanid crowd if you are easily offended.

I think what everyone should keep in mind is, what works for one person may not work for another. The only thing that should be adhered to is the basics of husbandry. Everything else can be tweaked to suit the environment of any one particular person.

Murkve

primary-race-writing-topics1.jpg

Yes. I think we can all agree.

R.I.P. Horse: 2012 - 2012

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
m3s4 - I agree you OWE nobody anything. I think others would benefit from seeing the changes, if any you made. Everyone keeps saying there are different ways to do things with a monitor, so why not share them. I understand your feelings on those who have no experience yet want you to take their advice. At least keep us updated on how things are going with him.

m3s4

james.w said:
m3s4 - I agree you OWE nobody anything. I think others would benefit from seeing the changes, if any you made. Everyone keeps saying there are different ways to do things with a monitor, so why not share them. I understand your feelings on those who have no experience yet want you to take their advice. At least keep us updated on how things are going with him.

Roger that...

I'll update with pics and details when I can...

If anyone stumbles across anything not mentioned in this thread, I only ask that you all politely, and respectively post your findings.

At the end of the day we are supposed to learn from each other and not criticize...Being mindful of that, I will take the first step in apologizing to those I have been crossed up with - in that regard, I'm sorry.

Hope everyone has a good day and can enjoy your pets, all of them, to the fullest.

-tommy

kinggill

Sorry for digging up settled dirt but this has to be one of the most Disturbing threads about husbandry of a Varanus Salvator I have ever read. :s

kinggill

I would have to say the information that was being given,but was not being absorbed,A failure to listen and learn from experienced keepers offering advice.I tried not posting on this thread but It seriously made my stomach turn inside out.I feel as keepers of these type of reptiles ,we made the decision to take them into our imprisonment of care so we are responsible for duplicating their natural environment as much as humanly possible.They are a major responsibility as they grow,you can not expect too keep a Salvator in a enclosure set up for a Ball python .A bare cage with mixed species :huh:

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Last I heard from him, he had separated them and was adding substrate.

m3s4 - any update on him??

kymzilla

Yikes to this crazy debate.

Cute looking reptile, though.
I'd like to see more pics of it, just to see it. Not to rip it apart and critique it.

yulyani

kinggill said:
I would have to say the information that was being given,but was not being absorbed,A failure to listen and learn from experienced keepers offering advice.I tried not posting on this thread but It seriously made my stomach turn inside out.I feel as keepers of these type of reptiles ,we made the decision to take them into our imprisonment of care so we are responsible for duplicating their natural environment as much as humanly possible.They are a major responsibility as they grow,you can not expect too keep a Salvator in a enclosure set up for a Ball python .A bare cage with mixed species :huh:

yes I would say agree with you. Salvators are unique, they deserve respects, caring and TLC from the owners. They will approach us if they want to, not force them to do so,...If you click the my signatures image you will see MJ and komo my 2 of the beloved lizards hehehehe.... who is your lizard name?

kinggill

yulyani I do not yet have a Salvator.I have wanted one ever since I quit at the zoo,but working with them there,it was quite obvious what they require to live a long prosperous life.I have been waiting 10 years to find my special friend .When i return home in January I will start building my cages in the basement.I am installing infloor heat and plan on making the salvator indoor encloser 8ft x16ft,along with 6 -8 smaller cages.I am very interested in collecting some V. albigularis and getting a project going especially with the V.albigularis albigularis (Banded cape white throat),I just dont have the proper housing for them yet,and am still learning about them. If all does well I do have a 30'x30' shed with infloor heat also that i will covert to the V.albigularis house.
I have not personally owned alot of varanids ,but at the zoo i cared for 2 differant Salvators, 3 salvadorii,1 jobiensis,1 doreanus.The only personnel Varanid I had was a so called Bosc or Savannah (V. exanthematicus)....His name was "ROCCO":)I did adopt another large Savannah from a guy that was large but was well neglected,basically starved,i ended up having his tail amputated and then my brother inlaw took it from me and cared for it for the last couple years of its life.
Quite a few years back,i was into the reptiles pretty heavy,alot of animals came home with me,adoptions and just excess or animals that we received and did not use for display.I have always wanted to do some breeding but,life happened...lol,kids came,money wasnt there to do things correctly.Well now im doing good,the children are getting bigger and I just feel like its time to get started,but I will not do it until I have proper enclosers and can care for the animals correctly.

We did just purchase a Extreme Chacoan Baby from Bobby and his name ill be "Tator":p

And yulyani...yes i seen your pictures....quite Awesome i must say ,looks like they have a good life :)

yulyani

kinggill said:
yulyani I do not yet have a Salvator.I have wanted one ever since I quit at the zoo,but working with them there,it was quite obvious what they require to live a long prosperous life.I have been waiting 10 years to find my special friend .When i return home in January I will start building my cages in the basement.I am installing infloor heat and plan on making the salvator indoor encloser 8ft x16ft,along with 6 -8 smaller cages.I am very interested in collecting some V. albigularis and getting a project going especially with the V.albigularis albigularis (Banded cape white throat),I just dont have the proper housing for them yet,and am still learning about them. If all does well I do have a 30'x30' shed with infloor heat also that i will covert to the V.albigularis house.
I have not personally owned alot of varanids ,but at the zoo i cared for 2 differant Salvators, 3 salvadorii,1 jobiensis,1 doreanus.The only personnel Varanid I had was a so called Bosc or Savannah (V. exanthematicus)....His name was "ROCCO":)I did adopt another large Savannah from a guy that was large but was well neglected,basically starved,i ended up having his tail amputated and then my brother inlaw took it from me and cared for it for the last couple years of its life.
Quite a few years back,i was into the reptiles pretty heavy,alot of animals came home with me,adoptions and just excess or animals that we received and did not use for display.I have always wanted to do some breeding but,life happened...lol,kids came,money wasnt there to do things correctly.Well now im doing good,the children are getting bigger and I just feel like its time to get started,but I will not do it until I have proper enclosers and can care for the animals correctly.

We did just purchase a Extreme Chacoan Baby from Bobby and his name ill be "Tator":p

And yulyani...yes i seen your pictures....quite Awesome i must say ,looks like they have a good life :)

I can see your love to animals also and I am glad to interact with you... I think lizards,...they are the same with dogs and cats, they need "attention and love in different way....send my regards to Tator (very nice name!) and I hope he is getting bigger and strong soon.....

m3s4

Quick update: He's put on a little weight since the last set of pics. - still eating fish, still healthy, still active and quite inquisitive.

20120826_193538.jpg

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
He looks skinny and dehydrated. A well fed and properly housed monitor would have gained a significant amount of weight and length during the time since the original post. How's that substrate coming? Any pics of his enclosure? What're his temps like?

yulyani

m3s4 said:
Quick update: He's put on a little weight since the last set of pics. - still eating fish, still healthy, still active and quite inquisitive.

20120826_193538.jpg

I only try to share my minds,...please don't take it hard. I think salvators need variation of foods, because they are borned to be a giant with massive bones and muscles. A failure to accomplish a good nutrition will affect their immun system....and disease comes

I really love lizards and animals, not only mine, but also all of them, even the wild one...when my former old varanus melinus catched wild gecko at garden, I opened his mouth and released that gecko,....and the result finally he was very angry, attack me at my fingers,...ended with 30 minutes bleeding badly with me cried because of shock,...I just tell you this so (probably) you can understant, that I mean no harm at all to you,....and I really hope the best for your baby salvy....what's his name btw?

Could you try pinkies or baby mice? I never fail to make picky salvators eating well with rodents. Also the mixed between turkey, beef liver, minced beef etc...and try to feed this baby at night,....when it is silent?....sometimes we find the food gone at dawn.....

My biggest water (MJ) if you click my signatures, is totally crazy with goldfish,...but since I get the info from Laura, I try to give it not too many, as the issue of thiaminase inside...
And please be very2 careful with the container,...if it is small and having water too many,...it can cause too high humidity and affect the respiratory condition.

Once again, please forgive me if I offend you with my words,...i just feel I must say something from my simple minds,...and I really wish your salvator healthy and thrive well...............

regards, yuli

shaneluvsmonitors

5 Year Member
Scrap the meat stick with whole prey items whole animal guts and everything ive seen plenty of varanids on the offal diet... seem like there doing great for years then drop more or less overnight....

Stick with wholefoods...

much better for varanids in the long run.

I dont know much about your husbandry side of things but that salvator is in trouble from those pictures he hasnt put on much if any weight since your original post.

shaneluvsmonitors said:
Scrap the meat stick with whole prey items whole animal guts and everything ive seen plenty of varanids on the offal diet... seem like there doing great for years then drop more or less overnight....

Stick with wholefoods...

much better for varanids in the long run.

I dont know much about your husbandry side of things but that salvator is in trouble from those pictures he hasnt put on much if any weight since your original post.

If it helps ive got a mate who breeds salvators...

Ive asked him to post... plus pics of his last batch of hatchlings.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi