• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu owner housing/heat concern

Bobo1415

Hi everyone, first post here. Just got my first tegu on Tuesday, been burrowed pretty much since then that concerned me but reading it’s pretty normal. I got him a Mercury vapor 160watt bulb for him in a 55 gallon tank and I have concerns about the basking temp. The stone under the lamp is only getting to about 90 and that’s after I raised the substrate under the stone about 6 inches. The bulb is about 15 inches from the stone should I raise the substrate even more since his basking spot isn’t even at 100 yet. Any advice is welcomed, he’s about 8 inches long for reference as well. I also added a 75 watt bulb next to the Mercury vapor in case his ambient temp was a little low since the room is around 70 degrees.

Attachments

• 37BB0504-BF06-4573-B639-8878474B7450.jpeg
    37BB0504-BF06-4573-B639-8878474B7450.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 12

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
Congrat's on the new guy! To answer your questions, yes raise your basking area until you hit that 100-110 range. I raised mine by adding two bricks and placing a floor tile on them!

Also with your setup you will have issues with keeping humidity. I would suggest getting some wrap and wrapping the top. Of course not where your heat lamp is but possibly 6-8 inches away. In addition try getting a little bit more substrate, this will help with borrowing and humidity.

Bobo1415

Congrat's on the new guy! To answer your questions, yes raise your basking area until you hit that 100-110 range. I raised mine by adding two bricks and placing a floor tile on them!

Also with your setup you will have issues with keeping humidity. I would suggest getting some wrap and wrapping the top. Of course not where your heat lamp is but possibly 6-8 inches away. In addition try getting a little bit more substrate, this will help with borrowing and humidity.
Can you elaborate on the substrate part and burrowing. He’s been burrowed since I got him basically I took out a little substrate to get him to come out but I added that mountain of substrate on the left to elevate his basking spot and now he hides in there

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
Simply put the more substrate the more moisture which means increase in humidity. You will need that due to your tegu’s enclosure.

Bobo1415

How long should I expect him to stay burrowed for? It’s been like 4 days, I think he’s only came out the 2 times I dug him out but he did eat when I got him out at least.

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
Honestly it depends upon the Tegu and when they feel safe and comfortable to come out. Remember this is just my opinion/ 2 cents.

With my Tegu’s I allowed them to get used to me from a distance. They both hid for about a month until I could be in the room without them darting to their hide. To help I put a used piece of clothing in the hide and I never removed them from there hide. Till this day I give them that respect and they in turn put up with me lol.

After that month’s time, I would soak them at times against there will in the tub. But I would spend time building trust . Allowing them to crawl to my arm when they wanted out of the bathtub. Then even after that closing the door and allowing them to explore while I just sat there.

Building trust with these animals is huge and if you do it right you’ll have a pretty chill adult.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charles1955