• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

NOT AGAIN

RobK.

he started to do the violent head shaking again when he tried today . his diet, temps and humidity are always spot on , so ?? I can't afford to go through this again .:huh::( Only change in the last few days is i started giving him wild dandelions from the field next to my house , that does not have any pesticides or fertiliser . I stop giving him any yesterday , so i don't have a clue what's going on . hope he's better tomorrow . I hope i can get him over this on my own , can't afford another 700 vet bill . and i already have 300.00 in his new cage . DANG !!

Noskire

I would contact Tom. I have a hard time believing it is related to anything you are doing. I have personally seen your setup for him and just dont see anyting that could cause this. My bet is there may be some unseen defect from birth.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree, perhaps maybe its a birth defect, if nothing is coming back from blood work ect. Perhaps tom may be able to offer some insight into this, hope it works out for the both of you

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Just my two cents Man again !!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry to hear that rob,i might contact tom but i had a bad experience with tom as i bought a rhino off him and sent him 295.00 he sent me a rhino with a cut in his lip down to his gum line as you can see in the photo's,and when i contacted him 15 minutes after it arrived he blamed it on the rhino rubbing his face on the cloth bag he was in on being shipped to me.But i told tom bs dont try that with me tom so then he said send me a picture i did he looks at it and says oh the guy he had catch the iguana must not of payed attension when shipping and sorry.But he had a major attitude so i told you sent me the rhino my man and he chilled a bit and i sent the rhino back and he refunded my money so after that im done with tom.But hope ur rhino gets better robk.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Actually, I would contact David Blair and see what he thinks.

David Blair is probably the most experienced person with varieties of igs. Maybe he can give you some idea of what is going on.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ty seems like a great guy and has a lot of nice animals. David Blair has worked with Cyclura since the 80's at least and I forgot about Robert Ehrig who also has decades of experience specializing in igs.

RobK.

I will go with anyone but tom . I love my Iguana but he has a very shady past . and if you do a goggle search you will see a ton of crap. I did the search after a had mine coining .
i just e-mailed daved blair . Both times my rhino did this is when i Ued his humidity a little more help him shed , he got a slight clear runny hose the bang . I now it ear or sinus related .So I dropped his humidity back down to 55-60 . MY cage is cleaned twice a day , he has a fan , heater humidifier and good diet . I don't want to replace him and will do what ever i can to keep this from happening , but just can't afford huge vet bills every year .:huh::(:( I do think me getting him out side and fresh air the last time , did more than the vet . ???? so ever warm day i will drop everything and set with him outside as much as i can . I don't know if he could be allergic to dandelions or ?? This was the first time he's had dandelions since last fall and when he was sick the last time . I will grow my own fron now on . Right now at his be time the temps are 75 and humidity 55-60 , thats as high as i will let it go . I also have a fan in the room on high circulating the heat and humidity trough the whole room again . I did that last time and it seemed to help . Since he was sick last time he has not shed well even with baths , so that why i raised his humidity a little more the last few weeks , then this .

fingers crossed !!!!!!!!

I also started giving him nasturtium flowers and leave indoors . Last year i used miracle grow , this year the potting soil has it in it . Is Miracle grow bad or reps ? A friend told me he read somewhere it was, but can't remember the source

RobK.

i will email the other guys also .
Noskire said:
I would contact Tom. I have a hard time believing it is related to anything you are doing. I have personally seen your setup for him and just dont see anyting that could cause this. My bet is there may be some unseen defect from birth.

hey !!

it it seems to happen both time i increased his humidity to help shed .

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Miracle gro has been found to contain organophosphates which harm the neurological system of mammals and certainly reptiles. Most reptiles are more sensitive given their smaller size.

laurarfl said:
Miracle gro has been found to contain organophosphates which harm the neurological system of mammals and certainly reptiles. Most reptiles are more sensitive given their smaller size.

Miracle gro you say? Should I be worried about the well being of my salamander then?

RobK.

laurarfl said:

thank for that info . if its not good for mammals or reptile , i am not going to use it in our greenhouse or garden on food for us either .

My Rhino is very active this morning , begging to get out on my lap first thing . and pigging out with on his green and not one head shake or any scratching . Yesterday he just laid around all day , did not open his eyes all the way , So i will see how he does the rest of the day .

RobK.

james.w said:
Were you using the miracle grow the previous time?

Yea , just about 3 weeks ago I started giving him some Nasturtiums leaves growing in potting soil that has Miracle grow in it . Also the last time he did this, i was doing the same thing and adding water with Miracle grow to Nasturtiums and Maringa tree's and Hibiscus , he was also getting it from some carrot greens from our garden . None of these thing he's had for months , until the Nasturtiums a few weeks ago . Dang !!! if that what doing this then i feel real stupid . If he recovers and this is the problem then at least i know . :mad:

see in this video . i was growing them inside with a grow light and potting soil with Miracle grow .:(

look at the 3:06 minute mark .
http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hopefully if you eliminate the Miracle Gro, he will turn around and be 100%

RobK.

james.w said:
Hopefully if you eliminate the Miracle Gro, he will turn around and be 100%

That would be great and it sure would be nice knowing what going on , and be done with this .:D

RobK.

james.w said:
If you need any help, let me know and ill do what I can.

Thats great .

I wonder if there is anything i can give him , to help remove the toxins from the miracle gro any faster ?? Luckily he has not had a lot of stuff this time around , that has been grown with M.G. maybe 20 leaves . The minute he started feeling bad and acting funny i started thinking what i had none this time and last or some kind of pattern . so i asked a freind about using MG and said he read you should not . i could not find anything on the web , so i thought i would through this ? at you guys , Daved Blair and the guys on Kingsnake .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980