• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Oh NO! Xander has a prolapse

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know the vet might have already gone over this, but what has his diet been scence you've had him? Just wondering if its not dietary rather than nurological. Mainly becuase if he was calcium defficant before you got him this would explain his smaller size. Even with a proper set up a reptile that is Ca defficant needs an intesive set up meaning a much higher and longer exposure to UVB along with an easily matbolize Ca. Most people only think of Ca diffencies cuasing MBD but in alot of cases they can also cause serve nurological problems.

Without seeing him i can't say 100%, but like i said it was just a thought. I'm really sorry about your poor tegu though.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
I know the vet might have already gone over this, but what has his diet been scence you've had him? Just wondering if its not dietary rather than nurological. Mainly becuase if he was calcium defficant before you got him this would explain his smaller size. Even with a proper set up a reptile that is Ca defficant needs an intesive set up meaning a much higher and longer exposure to UVB along with an easily matbolize Ca. Most people only think of Ca diffencies cuasing MBD but in alot of cases they can also cause serve nurological problems.

Without seeing him i can't say 100%, but like i said it was just a thought. I'm really sorry about your poor tegu though.
I feed him groung turkey some ground beef eggs steak beef. I also feed him mice and crickets and i dust every meal with vitamins no d3 in it the vet told me my dietary suppliments sound good. I have a powersun and a 7% uvb bulb in his cage. He has absolutely no feeling in his back legs and is now to tired to move more then a couple inches. Im taking him to the vet today.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Well they emailed me back with this

We would be happy to try and help you out, but your original email (and this one as well) was not only rude, but didn't include any information at all about the situation, where and when you got the tegu or who you are. I'm not sure how we could respond. We get all of our tegus from reputable breeders.
You are welcome to give us a call at 1-888-547-3784 so we can discuss the situation with you professionally and see what we can do to try and help you out, or if you prefer, you can email us your phone number instead and I can give you a call.

Sincerely,
Kate Larsen
LLLReptile & Supply Co. Inc.

Rude? What do you expect me to be after you have sold me a sick animal that I felt was part of my family? I also spent an extra $100 dollars to try and have my tegu saved. You expect me to feed around the bush? Well it sounds like im the only one thats confronted them bout their mistreated animals.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Feed sounds good (can't say great without knowing the vit brand, some don't put alot of ca in there).

As for LLL have had mixed experances with them, without seeing the email you sent them its hard to judge thier respones. It dose sound like they are willing to work with you however. I looked over their policys and they say you have to return sick animals and they will replace it with another one. I know this is hard when an animal becomes a part of the family but its a very common and fair practice in the animal trade with large stores. I've been to the store and yes the cages are over crowed but they dog have a decent set up for hold animals, after all they do not breed them they are simply a middle man. Once i realize that they are a business it was a easy choice to pay more from a breeder.

I really hope little guy gets better.

sorry if this sounds like i'm backing LLL or condoning what they do, i'm just trying to put thing into perpective.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
Feed sounds good (can't say great without knowing the vit brand, some don't put alot of ca in there).

As for LLL have had mixed experances with them, without seeing the email you sent them its hard to judge thier respones. It dose sound like they are willing to work with you however. I looked over their policys and they say you have to return sick animals and they will replace it with another one. I know this is hard when an animal becomes a part of the family but its a very common and fair practice in the animal trade with large stores. I've been to the store and yes the cages are over crowed but they dog have a decent set up for hold animals, after all they do not breed them they are simply a middle man. Once i realize that they are a business it was a easy choice to pay more from a breeder.

I really hope little guy gets better.

sorry if this sounds like i'm backing LLL or condoning what they do, i'm just trying to put thing into perpective.
It says it has to be returned within a 24hour period. I have had Xander for about a month. And as for calling them i really dont want to. I dont want to receive another sick tegu or even talk to them. If i talk to them i will not be logical on the phone, Because im just so angry with them right now.

Tkeller

5 Year Member
I'm sorry to hear about your Tegu, but to automatically assume it was lll's fault for selling an animal seems a little unfair in my opinion unless you have concrete proof that was the case, and while I did not read your email I own several businesses and things happen, and people e-mail i'll tell you what, some are pretty cool about it, explain the issue and give you a chance to respond, some fly off the handle throw insults and generally go into the email thinking that being rude gets a better response. Being human trust me when I tell you I give as little as possible to the jerk and go out of my way to take care of the guy who was polite and professional. Judging from the email you got in response, maybe you could have given them more of a chance to do the right thing, but they still seem like they are willing to help you out. I suggest calling them and trying to be polite and explain in detail what happened and see what they do. I would almost put money on the fact that they will try to make it right by you somehow, they are human too and deserve to be treated fairly just like you expect to be treated.

Sorry for the high horse ride there, but its been a long day of being bitched at

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Tkeller said:
I'm sorry to hear about your Tegu, but to automatically assume it was lll's fault for selling an animal seems a little unfair in my opinion unless you have concrete proof that was the case, and while I did not read your email I own several businesses and things happen, and people e-mail i'll tell you what, some are pretty cool about it, explain the issue and give you a chance to respond, some fly off the handle throw insults and generally go into the email thinking that being rude gets a better response. Being human trust me when I tell you I give as little as possible to the jerk and go out of my way to take care of the guy who was polite and professional. Judging from the email you got in response, maybe you could have given them more of a chance to do the right thing, but they still seem like they are willing to help you out. I suggest calling them and trying to be polite and explain in detail what happened and see what they do. I would almost put money on the fact that they will try to make it right by you somehow, they are human too and deserve to be treated fairly just like you expect to be treated.

Sorry for the high horse ride there, but its been a long day of being bitched at
You know its whatever now. I just am going to go about my buisness without my little gu by my side. I have to have him put down in a couple of hours. He cannot move any more. I just feel so bad like hes suffering

Meg90

5 Year Member
I think thats the right decision overall. May he rest in peace, and feel no more pain. Poor pretty baby. :(

But I also think you ought to call LLL and talk to them.

If it wasn't in there care, that Xander was treated poorly, then it was at the breeders, or farm who produced him. The company has a right to be notified, and if it was poor "product" received from a breeder, maybe they will not buy from that person again.

I also want to impress on everyone that LLL posts on Kingsnake looking for "Your captive bred tegus and monitors" they take babies from anyone who can prove they are CB. I don't think they are really looking at quality because the add just says "Don't contact us if you have under 5 to sell" IMO they probably just have "sales" on animals that they KNOW are not quality.

Its like in the restaurant biz, what is offered as a "special" is usually surplus, or on the last day it can be served. They try to move it, and move it quick.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I am so sorry to hear about what happend to your Tegu.I'll keep you and your Tegu in my prayers.May God give you and your Tegu comfort and peace.I know you are going through a very hard time right now but I wanted to ask you how often did you give him some calcium powder and how old was your UVB light and what kind was it ?

Meg90.You took the words out off my mouth in your last post.Who knows maybe it was genetics.I have a member on the other forum whos Tegu has a bad eye.

chris allen

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your tegu.

I would call them and if they do offer to do something for you, then that is a good thing, and I would also be polite with them. They sent you a very fair response. How does anyone really know what happened that made him sick? Unless you have a necropsy done, but who knows how that will turn out and how much more money that will cost.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Man I am sorry to hear about your baby, that really suxs.

The sad thing is many breeders are not worried about genetics, they want numbers and have no regard for the quality at all. And most whole sellers could care less where the animals come from as long as they get them cheap, and can turn a profit on them.

I do not care what type of animal you are looking for, it is always best to buy straight from the breeder. Any good breeder is not going to whole sale their best babies, their costumers are going to get their best animals.

Yes cheaper, but cheaper is not always better, you get what you pay for most of the time.

chris allen

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
Man I am sorry to hear about your baby, that really suxs.

The sad thing is many breeders are not worried about genetics, they want numbers and have no regard for the quality at all. And most whole sellers could care less where the animals come from as long as they get them cheap, and can turn a profit on them.

I do not care what type of animal you are looking for, it is always best to buy straight from the breeder. Any good breeder is not going to whole sale their best babies, their costumers are going to get their best animals.

Yes cheaper, but cheaper is not always better, you get what you pay for most of the time.

I agree about buying straight from any breeder, whether its a lizard, a bird, or a dog. I don't remember the last animal I bought from a store......only from breeders, and "pet" owners.

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
You know its whatever now. I just am going to go about my buisness without my little gu by my side. I have to have him put down in a couple of hours. He cannot move any more. I just feel so bad like hes suffering[/quote]

I am sorry to hear about Xander. Sharing stories and posts, it feels like we know eachother or at least our pets. Its always hard to lose someone we love

cornking4

5 Year Member
:cry: :cry: :cry: :hifit :hifit :hifit :rant :rant :rant :evil: :evil:

God, you know, stories like these really just break my heart... These evil corporations that just want to turn a profit and don't care about the welfare of the animals they sell just really piss me off. And they honestly had the nerve to tell you that your email was RUDE???? Well, LLL Reptile will never get my business again... I'm just glad there are breeders like Bobby who actually pay attention to and care about the health of the animals he breeds. I see tons of this in the snake game, too. So many breeders take the "easy way out" and sell unstarted nonfeeders that just die in the next few weeks, then say "Oh, don't worry about it, just return it and we'll give you a refund". This REALLY makes me angry, because private breeders such as myself take tons of time to work with the snakes and prep them for sale to their owners. I can't think of how many hours I've spent soaking hatchlings after bad sheds, force feeding picky eaters, and worrying about their health, then to see these "snake mill" breeders just cranking out hatchlings like merchandise... I don't know... it just makes me sick.

REALLY sorry to hear about Xander, and just remember all the good times and love you two shared.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone, I cant believe hes gone now. Everytime I look in the cage I think he might be inside. Im just lucky I still have Zero though. I can also tell he knows something happend with Xander and hes probably sad his friend is gon.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
cornking4 said:
If you want a new friend for Zero, I'm sure Bobby has plenty of Argentines looking for homes.
I dont have the money as of now to buy a new one. Ill have to save up for the next season

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029