• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

RIP Bacardi

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
First off thank you all so much for the support and kind words, it has been very comforting through this whole process.

I am sad to say that despite mine, Bacardi's and the vet’s best efforts, Bacardi was put down today. It became unbearable to watch is slow decline and the vet agreed that his time had come, there was nothing more that could be done. All I have now of my little buddy are some pictures and memories.

Bacardi arrived on the heels of an early March snow storm (in the mountains of San Diego we do get snow). I left my place at 5am to make it to make it to my mom’s were Bacardi was to be delivered. 10 am arrived and the UPS guy showed up with a live animal box with a nervous smile, he had seen many of these boxes arrive to the house. Eagerly I opened the box not wanting to wait another second. I had already fallen in love with this lizard. He had been posted on Kingsnake as one of Ben Siegels stand outs. I called up to ask about him and was told pictures do not do him justice, upon opening the box I would have to agree. There in the shipping bag was a fat little green body red head lizard. First thing he did was bite my finger. I let him soak a bit and then it was back to my place to get him into his new cage.

Bacardi adjusted well to his new home, eating the first night and falling asleep in the pool. I was pleasantly surprised by his tameness, not hitting the glass every time I walked by, although there was a little huffing and puffing. Taking him out turned out to be the hard part, often leaving my arms scratched up. Once out he enjoyed exploring my hat, shoulder and down the shirt (ow did that hurt!) soon he was off exploring the bed and before I knew it he was exploring my whole studio.

When he arrived he was just 14 inches long, by fall when I moved he was over two feet and still growing.

Bacardi would turn out to be one of the best pets I ever had. His mellow disposition and lay back attitude allowed him roam with my tegus and tolerate the dogs. He loved to spend time on my shoulder and would wait by the door of his cage each morning. I would take him out and let him bask in the morning sun.

Right now it hurts like no other, knowing that I will never see my Bacardi again. Here are some pictures to remember the good times I had with him.

11659972.jpg

IMG_8512.jpg

IMG_8531.jpg

CaimanLizard.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

IMG_5408.jpg

Naptime.jpg

Arxilca

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always a hard decision to make, even when it's for the best. Thankfully you were able to provide him with a good, caring home and I'm sure he lived a happy life with you!

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
My heart is broken and bleeding for your loss. I am so, so sorry. Bacardi was an amazing lizard and I truly enjoyed reading your updates. Try to feel better.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear the sad news.You take great care of all ur animals and always did.Its was for the better.

Grendel

My deepest condolences, my two caiman lizards died about a month ago from an infection, I did not post anything, but it sucked big time.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. The decision was easy when we noticed there was the strong possibility of brain damage. At that point my buddy Bacardi was gone and all that was left was an animal that was suffering and in pain. I am having his remains cremated so that I have something to remember him by. I don't have the energy today to disinfect his cage or the reptile room, but tomorrow its out with the bleach and cleaning everything.

Logie_Bear

I am so very sorry for your loss. :( Barcardi was an amazing lizard and such an inspiration. I can only hope to one day have a lizard even half as awesome as Bacardi was. I wish you and yours the best in this rough time.

TeguLouie

im sorry to hear that. at least his life was full and im sure he was happy to be your friend and more importantly your family.

yulyani

Dear Chelvis,...

with my deepest condolences and sympathy for you about Bacardi....... You have done your best and bacardi knows that....he will be in my heart always and I will never forget him......

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Im sorry for you and Bacardi Chelvis.
It's a hard thing.
I think we've all been there...
You did the best you could for him, and you both changed one another Im sure.
Take comfort in that and the time you spent together.

Diablo

5 Year Member
Really sorry to hear what happened. You found him and gave him a great life for the time that he had, I'm sure he is grateful for what you did for him.

HeatherN

im so sorry chelvis. its never easy to lose a pet, and friend, as amazing as bacardi. he was one of my first caiman lizards i regularly read about, and probably the first one to get me interested in the species. one day, when i can, i hope to own one half as beautiful and full of personality as bacardi. I'm glad he didn't suffer, and his last days were spent being even more spoiled by his loving owner.

ragnew

I'm very sorry for the loss. This decision is such a hard one to make. Bacardi was an amazing animal and he was very lucky to have an owner as awesome as you. He maybe gone in a physical way, but you'll have tons of memories to keep you running.

Sorry again.

Megatron

I'm so sorry for what happened. I really didn't know caimen lizards existed until I read some of your posts. He was a beautiful animal, and I'm sure you gave him the best life possible.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. Its really quite in the house right now. Normally Bacardi is clawing at the glass wanting to come out to bask, but this morning there was none of that. I guess he use to wake Bosco up as well because Bosco was still sounds asleep when I left this morning. I am torn between getting another one and going through the heart ach again or just washing my hands of it all and sticking with my tegus.

For those interested in getting caiman lizards, this is not uncommon. The more owners I contact and exotic vets I talked to the more and more this comes up.

Vince

I'm very sorry for your loss Chelvis. We recently had to put down our yearling AA due to lesions in her colon, and it is a difficult thing to do. We found some comfort knowing that in the end we did what was best for her. The vet assured us we did the humane and kind thing in her case. He performed a limited necropsy and said there would have been no way to save her. The infection was just too bad.

Even if you don't get another caiman, I wouldn't let the enclosure sit empty for too long. Dark enclosures make me even more sad after I've lost one of my scaly friends.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980