• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sheding

olympus

5 Year Member
My tegu has recently experienced some sheding problems. She has had a spoty shed. What can i do to restore her sexxy?

COWHER

5 Year Member
try a luke warm bath fill it so the Tegus feet are still on the ground so it doesn't have to swim constantly. Then leave em in there for bout 30 minutes. A few days of that and the stuck shed should come right off. But definitely monitor the humidity because to little moisture and ya get shed problems too moist and, like my lil guy Barbossa, he gets foot rot :cry: good luck :lol:

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dang I was late, yes you can keep the cage damp but not too damp. A spray of water can help on this, just don't over do it.

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
also what type enclosure is it in, if it is in a screen top try ptting foi or a towel over most of it that will help keep in humidity in

greentriple

5 Year Member
Ok, so temps are up, cage is dry, how the heck do you keep the humidity up in a hot cage in a desert climate (southern CA). I spray 1Xday, but it does not seem like enough.

olympus

5 Year Member
Not too long ago I spoke to Bobby about my sheding problem and he informed me to use cod liver oil this was the result

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673-1.jpg

pic1.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Cod liver oil is good for mites also. Nature's Mist Reptile Spray is good to use also. Man that is a really pretty Tegu and set up. The little girl is sweet too. I'm the proud dad of 3 boys because of trying for girls. LOL

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
olympus said:
Not too long ago I spoke to Bobby about my sheding problem and he informed me to use cod liver oil this was the result

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673-1.jpg

pic1.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

That is awesome bro!! I never had much faith in the whole fruit thing. The Cod liver oil makes much more sense.

She is also looking very sexy!! ;)

olympus

5 Year Member
Thanks, oh yeah that's my son... The whole fruit thing never stuck with me either since my tegu doesn't eat any fruit... The cod liver oil really treated the problem; the skin basically all came off in a little tegu coat. Even the whole tail sheded.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Sorry about the boy girl mix up. Either way he is still a good looking kid.
I don't think the fruit things is all that good either. The ones I had wouldn't eat fruit. They wanted meat. They were visious little creatures when they were hungry but tame as kittens when they were full. I also used peat moss in their cage so I never had any shedding problems. But I can understand how some people have problems. My weather is usually humid anyway. Dryer climates I'm sure would have problems. But from the looks of it the cod liver oil is the way to go. I've used it on snakes to kill mites. Never thought of using it for shedding problems in lizards. Learn something new all the time.
I used to use Aloe Vera gel on my Monitors. That does a good job too. Just plain Aloe Vera it works wonders .

olympus

5 Year Member
No problem.... Trust me try it that stuff makes their skin shine and also I have seen a great improvement in my tegus defication...

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Enlighten me. Did you rub it on him or give it to him orally?? I'm guessing rubbed but you said it helped in defecation?? We've rubbed on olive oil to stuck shed on their feet.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Enlighten me. Did you rub it on him or give it to him orally?? I'm guessing rubbed but you said it helped in defecation?? We've rubbed on olive oil to stuck shed on their feet.

It is added to the ground turkey, and fed once a week. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me