• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu are loud or not so nosing

JLS_exotic

I live in NY and work inNJ and I have this reptile room I want to get starting only problem I breed dogs so my space is tight in my place I only have enough for a pair in my living room and the other two pair I plan on getting will be in an other apartment possibility share it as rent will be high and Turing one of the bedroom into there space with camera ring or wzye so my consider is will the neighbors get annoying of them being there I don't plan on letting them know right away until they see the odvise or if anyone here is willing to join in turning an apartment or house into a few reptile room I'm all in but just want to know if they loud or will they be quiet like a breaded dragon where yu won't hear a thing a time and then I plan on taking turns with the pair in my house switching them so they get use to me and ofc I will be stopping by everyday after work or before work or both if needed to care for them and planing on getting a caretaker to come by during he hours I can't come let me know what you guys thing about this
Thank you

Rhellish

They are quiet base on my limited expertise. I haven't heard mine make any noises yet. Definitely the same as bearded dragons in that department.

JLS_exotic

Okay great to know i can have a room just for them knowing that they will not be annoying to the roommates im going to look for down the hallway thanks again now for subtract what to go for coco or soil??

Rhellish

Okay great to know i can have a room just for them knowing that they will not be annoying to the roommates im going to look for down the hallway thanks again now for subtract what to go for coco or soil??
If you're on a budget I would suggest buying topsoil and filtering it with a strainer than baking it. Then mix it with playsand you can get from Home Depot super cheap and effective! Good luck mate!

Stellalife1

You are much better off putting them in large grow tents that are sured up or enclosures than a whole room. The humidity of 60% will turn walls moldy. I have tried the topsoil, play sand & moss. Coconut shell & core is much easier all the way around. No smell of dirt, holds humidity very well & they will bury themselves in it. There should be a hot side about 90* with basking between 105-135 seems like smaller tegus like the lower basking temp. The cool side should be about 75* also have a large bin that they tegu can completely submerge itself with bricks in a side or corner to help them climb out plus a second drinking water. Bio mean you buy small insects to add to your enclosure. They are the cleanup crew that will eat waste material, skin shed, and make your job easier. Alot of people use springtime or isopods for this. Leaf foraging is putting a pile of leaves into the enclosure for them to nose around in. You should also have a humid hide & a dry hide in the enclosure. Alot of people buy humidifiers or foggers to keep that high humidity. I mist 2x a day & it also works fine. I would not put a young tegu into a large enclosure. You will spend your time chasing it & scaring it to handle on a regular basis. A 75gl. Tank works well until they are tamed down. Also take a shirt that you have worn until stinky & put it in its hide so it gets used to your scent. If it bites you, DO not react!! They are very smart & will learn very quickly that if it bites & you pull away it gets what it wants which is to be left alone. Also tong feeding is great. I tap on the dish and call my red's name if I'm about to feed her. She comes running full bore! Lol no tapping, no food!! Make sure you put your hands in the enclosure daily just to move things around so the tegu will realize you don't want to eat it!! Good luck!!

Stellalife1

You are much better off putting them in large grow tents that are sured up or enclosures than a whole room. The humidity of 60% will turn walls moldy. I have tried the topsoil, play sand & moss. Coconut shell & core is much easier all the way around. No smell of dirt, holds humidity very well & they will bury themselves in it. There should be a hot side about 90* with basking between 105-135 seems like smaller tegus like the lower basking temp. The cool side should be about 75* also have a large bin that they tegu can completely submerge itself with bricks in a side or corner to help them climb out plus a second drinking water. Bio mean you buy small insects to add to your enclosure. They are the cleanup crew that will eat waste material, skin shed, and make your job easier. Alot of people use springtime or isopods for this. Leaf foraging is putting a pile of leaves into the enclosure for them to nose around in. You should also have a humid hide & a dry hide in the enclosure. Alot of people buy humidifiers or foggers to keep that high humidity. I mist 2x a day & it also works fine. I would not put a young tegu into a large enclosure. You will spend your time chasing it & scaring it to handle on a regular basis. A 75gl. Tank works well until they are tamed down. Also take a shirt that you have worn until stinky & put it in its hide so it gets used to your scent. If it bites you, DO not react!! They are very smart & will learn very quickly that if it bites & you pull away it gets what it wants which is to be left alone. Also tong feeding is great. I tap on the dish and call my red's name if I'm about to feed her. She comes running full bore! Lol no tapping, no food!! Make sure you put your hands in the enclosure daily just to move things around so the tegu will realize you don't want to eat it!! Good luck!!
*springtails* you can find alot of info on fb tegu sights DIY enclosures also!!

Stellalife1

If you're on a budget I would suggest buying topsoil and filtering it with a strainer than baking it. Then mix it with playsand you can get from Home Depot super cheap and effective! Good luck mate!
If it is store bought topsoil, you don't need to bake it or filter

Stellalife1

I live in NY and work inNJ and I have this reptile room I want to get starting only problem I breed dogs so my space is tight in my place I only have enough for a pair in my living room and the other two pair I plan on getting will be in an other apartment possibility share it as rent will be high and Turing one of the bedroom into there space with camera ring or wzye so my consider is will the neighbors get annoying of them being there I don't plan on letting them know right away until they see the odvise or if anyone here is willing to join in turning an apartment or house into a few reptile room I'm all in but just want to know if they loud or will they be quiet like a breaded dragon where yu won't hear a thing a time and then I plan on taking turns with the pair in my house switching them so they get use to me and ofc I will be stopping by everyday after work or before work or both if needed to care for them and planing on getting a caretaker to come by during he hours I can't come let me know what you guys thing about this
Thank you
You may also consider 2 females for 1 male. Otherwise the male during breeding season will hound the female to death. After confirmed locking a couple times you may want to put the male in a separate enclosure & be sure to watch for locking. It can get pretty aggressive!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602