• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Food List

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
Wow I just got a year old juvinile Columbian Tegu. I needed this page so badly I am so glad I've found this info Thank you so much for posting this. I didn't have a clue what to feed my lil buddy. The previous owner claimed he knew it all. Doesn't seem that way anymore Thank you for helping people raise and preserve a wonderful species of reptilia Plus I live with a tegu not the tegu is mine as a possesion how can anyone ever OWN a living creature I'm also a new member so Hello to everyone

John_E_Dove

5 Year Member
Okay, since I am new here, and attempting to learn, would whole chickens, geese or turkeys ground into a hamburger like substance be considered a complete food for Tegus?
Just for clairification I raise my own poultry and am talking about grinding the whole freshly killed bird, feathers, bones, internal organs etc.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would say complete for one meal yes. But, I think you are asking if you can raise your tegu's on just this alone, correct?

As a owner you have to decide what's best for your animal but I would just suggest that variety is a whole lot better than just one thing over and over again.

John_E_Dove

5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
I would say complete for one meal yes. But, I think you are asking if you can raise your tegu's on just this alone, correct?

As a owner you have to decide what's best for your animal but I would just suggest that variety is a whole lot better than just one thing over and over again.

Thank you for the reply.
No, I too am a firm believe in a varied diet for captive reptiles. I even vary the diet for my snakes when I can. I was just wondering if ground whole bird would be acceptable for Tegus since I also raise poultry.

Tux

5 Year Member
I can't see any downside to a ground whole bird, especially one you raised yourself so you know what it was fed etc. The feathers probably wouldn't add any value to the equation though besides saving time plucking.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As for the fruits and veggies, some of my tegus just will not eat them. I do not even try to feed them to my tegus any longer, I also do not think they are needed to keep tegus healthy.

I feed mine Crickets, Roaches, Mealworms, Super worms, Pinkie mice, Quail, Baby chickens, Mice, Rats, whole small fish, Soft-boiled or scrambled eggs, ground turkey, Fresh fish filets, beef liver, chicken liver, beef hearts, chicken gizzards, chicken hearts, ducklings and even a toad every now or then.

BagootheTegu

5 Year Member
I love the variety that a tegu will go through i just hope that when i get one and i know for sure its going to be a Blue Tegu that it will eat its fruits hopefully i can get him young so he gets used to the routine and treats

zgoldsmith

5 Year Member
What insect(s)/worm(s) are the best to feed to your *baby* tegu? I feed mine crickets and supers but I am wanting to order in bulk and I would like to know what is/are the best?

Thanks, this is an awesome list!
ZG

kethry

5 Year Member
can you realy feed your tegu pasta or rice?
and can i plant lettuce in his cage and if he eats it as a snack plus feeding him his normal food would that be ok? or would i over feed him
it prob. wouldn't happen but just in case...

Zilch

5 Year Member
kaa said:
Can you feed a strict diet of ground turkey? or would it be better to vary the diet?
I can't speak for the OP, but for reptiles in general it's always best to feed a varied diet, in the wild a tegu would eat COUNTLESS food items in a day, so while they might survive just fine on a staple of turkey it's always a good idea to spice things up and add some variety.

Zilch

5 Year Member
I'd venture to say probably not a great idea, avocado has a pretty decent fat content for a plant. Maybe if he likes it as a treat, but I wouldn't make it a regular thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980