• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Food List

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Whole prey
Captive raised insects
Crickets
Roaches
Mealworms
Super worms
Wax worms
Silk worms
Horn worms
Earth worms
Snails
Crayfish
Pinkie mice
Quail hatchlings
Baby chickens
Mice
Rats
Hamster
Gerbil
Feeder frogs/toads/lizards

Meat
Soft-boiled or scrambled eggs
Raw meats: turkey, lamb, venison, fowl, beef
Fresh fish filets
Organ meats: liver, hearts, gizzards
Sea food: Crab, Scallops, Shrimp

Fruits
Tropical fruits: Mango, Papaya
Melons: cantaloupe, honeydew, casaba, watermelon
Bananas- in moderation, peels can be fed if grown organic
Apples- in moderation
Cherries
Grapes- Thompson seedless; green and red
Concord grapes higher in oxalates
Tomatoes- high in oxalates**
Berries:
Strawberries- high in oxalates** and goitrogens* so in moderation
blueberries, raspberries, & blackberries
Figs -fresh or dried
Dates
Kiwi
Peaches- high in goitrogens*
Pears- high in oxalates**
Pumpkin

Veggies
Acorn squash, butternut squash
Kabocha squash
Parsnip
Alfalfa
Okra
Green beans
Green peas, snap peas
Leeks
Prickly pear cactus

Dark leafy greens like:
Chicory greens (Escarole)
Collard greens
Dandelion greens
Endive
Mustard greens
Turnip greens

Spaghetti squash
Bell peppers
Rapini
Zucchini
Yellow squash
Radish
Yucca root- cassava- tough, should be shredded
Asparagus
Broccoli in moderation, high in oxalates**
Beets and Beet greens in moderation, high in oxalates**
Carrots and tops in moderation, high in oxalates**
Bok choy - in moderation, high in goitrogens*
Brussels sprouts- high in goitrogens*
Parsley- good source of calcium
Cabbage- in moderation, high in goitrogens*
Cauliflower- in moderation, high in goitrogens*
Coriander- in moderation, high in oxalates**
Rutabaga
Sweet potato- feed rarely
Corn- feed rarely or never, low in Ca and high in Phosphorus
Spinach- feed rarely or never, high in oxalates and goitrogens
Swiss chard- feed rarely or never, high in oxalates**
Lettuces -low in nutrition
Celery- low in nutrition
Cucumber- low in nutrition
Flowering plants like- Nasturtiums, Dahlia or hibiscus, just be careful of pesticides and herbicides
Lentils-cooked
Cooked pasta or rice
Whole wheat bread

Lets make this thread never ending. Got a suggestion? Add it. Don't agree with an item listed above? Tell us.

*Goitrogens are naturally-occurring substances that can interfere with function of the thyroid gland. Goitrogens get their name from the term "goiter," which means an enlargement of the thyroid gland. If the thyroid gland is having difficulty making thyroid hormone, it may enlarge as a way of trying to compensate for this inadequate hormone production. "Goitrogens," like circumstances that cause goiter, cause difficulty for the thyroid in making its hormone.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47">http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47</a><!-- m -->

**Oxalates are naturally-occurring substances found in plants, animals, and in humans. In chemical terms, oxalates belong to a group of molecules called organic acids, and are routinely made by plants, animals, and humans. Our bodies always contain oxalates, and our cells routinely convert other substances into oxalates. For example, vitamin C is one of the substances that our cells routinely convert into oxalates. In addition to the oxalates that are made inside of our body, oxalates can arrive at our body from the outside, from certain foods that contain them.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48">http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48</a><!-- m -->

Top Healthiest Fish
Click on chart to view better

fish3.jpg

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Why should blueberries , raspberries , and blackberries be fed in moderation my tegu gets blueberries or raspberries with just about every meal except for when I have some papaya or mango on hand to rotate in.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Honestly, I don't know why it's like that. I did not comprise the list. I think they are fine to feed often. Editing the list right now.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Question to you experienced Tegu ownersÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

If you had an unlimited supply of healthy clean fish to feed your TeguÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ what is the maximum percentage of itÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢s diet you would offer as this free fishÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

If interestedÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ the fish in question are baby Central American Cichlids (Jack Dempseys mostly)Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ spawned and raised in my own tanksÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ still young enough that their fins donÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢t have hard spinesÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think it would be a good alternate food source. You will have to evaluate your water quality. Do you use chemicals? What possible diseases do the fish carry? Also, I would think the same idea that applies to feeder insect would apply here. That is, they are only as nutritional as you make them. So feed them good!

shadowsong

5 Year Member
what is the effect of giving too much banana? since it is prymary fruit that i give to my tegus before i read vanyard's care sheet.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
nice list!!

would you mind if i posted this on another site? the other site people keep asking about what is ok to feed their tegus. one guy said he feeds his bologna :puke

CoexistExotics

5 Year Member
Awesome list. Definately gunna keep this around. I am always looking for new stuff to feed my little Sangria :). He loves his scrambled eggs that he gets every morning before I go to work, but I want to try new stuff with him.

wendy93

5 Year Member
WOW, Great list/. Best I've seen, I always run out of ideas. Going to print this and stick on fridge. Thanks

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
wendy93 said:
WOW, Great list/. Best I've seen, I always run out of ideas. Going to print this and stick on fridge. Thanks

Hi Wendy, and welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad you joined us. :)

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
"Bump/Bumping" means that you post a comment into the thread you want bumped back up to the top of the threads and in this case back onto the top thread scroller. In hopes that more people see it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced