• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu misconception

so i take my tegu and monitor to places every now and then so they can get some sun and every time there is at least one person who says is that an iguana and then i tell them its a a tegu or a monitor and they say no your wrong animal planet told me its an iguana :mad: some people are so stupid beyond belief

AP27

Wow. People can be really dumb sometimes. I think you'd know what species your own pet is. :dodgy:

turtlepunk

wow lol I get that all the time when I take my dragons out places!!! I really want to tell them "just because an iguana is the only lizard you know of, that doesn't make every species of lizard you see an IGUANA! but of course I don't. Someone even asked if my beardie was a gecko!!! (face palm)

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Kodo gets mistaken for a snake a lot. The forked tongue must confuse people I guess, because he has very visible legs and doesn't have a snaky body shape. I was under the impression everyone knew snakes had no legs . . . People also seem to think Kodo can sting with his tongue; that's when I tell them they've been watching too many bad SyFy original movies.

got10

monstruo-the-tegu said:
so i take my tegu and monitor to places every now and then so they can get some sun and every time there is at least one person who says is that an iguana and then i tell them its a a tegu or a monitor and they say no your wrong animal planet told me its an iguana :mad: some people are so stupid beyond belief

Those are the same people the think that fox-5, glenn beck and the tea party can save the world ' LOL . Sorry if i offended anyone . but if you can't take a joke then shame on you

Compnerd7

turtlepunk said:
wow lol I get that all the time when I take my dragons out places!!! I really want to tell them "just because an iguana is the only lizard you know of, that doesn't make every species of lizard you see an IGUANA! but of course I don't. Someone even asked if my beardie was a gecko!!! (face palm)

I take my Dragons with me every place I can, and I get that comment A LOT. More people get it right then wrong though. I mean seriously, It's a bearded dragon, it looks nothing like an Iguana.

That would make me go nearly insane is some corrected me on the 4 foot lizard I have on my shoulder. " Oh Yeah! Your totally right! I have no idea what I own and have raised for years. Thank you so much for watching TV and correcting me " :dodgy:. But, you have to be nice, patient, and informative with ignorant people or else well never counter the fear / bans / misunderstanding.

That doesn't mean you don't feel like choking people sometimes :p

[/quote]

Those are the same people the think that fox-5, glenn beck and the tea party can save the world ' LOL . Sorry if i offended anyone . but if you can't take a joke then shame on you

[/quote]

Also, LOL!!!

turtlepunk

dragonmetalhead said:
Kodo gets mistaken for a snake a lot. The forked tongue must confuse people I guess, because he has very visible legs and doesn't have a snaky body shape. I was under the impression everyone knew snakes had no legs . . . People also seem to think Kodo can sting with his tongue; that's when I tell them they've been watching too many bad SyFy original movies.

WOW people mistake your tegu for a SNAKE?!!? thats just a whole new level of ridiculous! sting with their tongues? REALLY??
this is just really scary to me how stupid people are!!!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I get iguana all the time, I have to ask them have they ever seen an iguana, I mean tegus resemble iguana in no way

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
turtlepunk said:
dragonmetalhead said:

WOW people mistake your tegu for a SNAKE?!!? thats just a whole new level of ridiculous! sting with their tongues? REALLY??
this is just really scary to me how stupid people are!!!

You think that's bad? I got asked once if Kodo was going to turn into a snake. I was so stunned by the randomness and stupidity of the question I didn't know how to answer. The gentleman—yes, it was a grown man asking me this—was under the impressing lizards metamorphose into snakes like caterpillars into butterflies. Wtf, right? I had to explain to him this was not the case, all without berating him for being the Lord of Morons. I was tempted to tell him Kodo wasn't a Pokemon and wouldn't evolve into something totally different if I gave him a Moon Stone, but decided that response was a bit rude. However, the next time someone asks me if he's an iguana I'm going to say yes and tell them he's a "zebra iguana."

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think it's the tongue that makes people of snakes. I know it's not logical, but I've thought about it and it is the only thing I can think of. People always seem to think lizards are automatically iguanas. Except for my BTS...no one has ever called her an iguana...and people always seem to recognize geckos. If I'm working with kids I'll ask them what color iguanas are. They answer, "Green!" Then I'll ask, "Is this lizard green?" When they say no, I go into the other differences as well. I guess it must be a knee-jerk reaction.

Timothy

I took my tegu out to a park one day and a couple walked by and said "hey look they have a aligator" me and my wife looked at each other, shook our heads and giggled.

Compnerd7

<<You think that's bad? I got asked once if Kodo was going to turn into a snake. I was so stunned by the randomness and stupidity of the question I didn't know how to answer. The gentleman—yes, it was a grown man asking me this—was under the impressing lizards metamorphose into snakes like caterpillars into butterflies. Wtf, right? I had to explain to him this was not the case, all without berating him for being the Lord of Morons. I was tempted to tell him Kodo wasn't a Pokemon and wouldn't evolve into something totally different if I gave him a Moon Stone, but decided that response was a bit rude. However, the next time someone asks me if he's an iguana I'm going to say yes and tell them he's a "zebra iguana." >>

Are you serious??? I thought my Tegu was going to evolve into a Charmealon then a Charizard! All that training for nothing...

I must say that is a very outlandish thing to think... Everyone went to school right, and took some sort of science class that taught you about these things? I remember Biology being my favorite class, I did all the extra credit in that class just because I wanted to! People... they are so focused on the material world they don't have the time to learn about the physical. That is pretty sad. Put the Ipad down, and pick up a snake ( although I do use my Ipad for research and study when I herp haha ).

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I find it a bit disturbing how everyone is calling people that don't know about reptiles stupid. Reptiles are not something you learn much, if anything about in public school. What makes someone stupid or ignorant for asking a question?

Compnerd7

james.w said:
I find it a bit disturbing how everyone is calling people that don't know about reptiles stupid. Reptiles are not something you learn much, if anything about in public school. What makes someone stupid or ignorant for asking a question?

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. I've re evaluated my outlook on certain people lately, they are not stupid, just uneducated about what we like, hence I use the saying " very outlandish thing to think "...

I was talking to my brother last night, because he invited me to come up to his place for the weekend. He is a huge nature fan, loves hiking / hunting ect. He is a doctor, graduated at the top of his class from Stanford University. He is most defiantly the smartest person I know. But he doesn't know a whole lot about reptiles / amphibians. If I were to meet him on the street and he asked me a random question that was weird or outlandish, and I were to just dismiss his as an idiot... I would in fact be the moron hahah. He doesn't think that people who don't know as much about medicine as him " stupid " ( well, atleast not most the time lol ).

But I can understand why us as a community we get so mad about people who are not educated in our expertise.

I remember learning a lot about reptiles in high school, but I think that was because I was keen attention in class when the section came up;)

roastedspleen

james.w said:

im with you on that. its not that they're stupid. they are just people who think of the idea of owning a lizard or snake just like owning a shark or a tiger. they just don't think of it. ignorance and stupidity are different.

MadameButterfly

lol some of these are funny, I'm willing to bet that those of you who have tegu big enough to bring for walks could actually convince people that you work in an experimental genetic facility like the one in Jurassic Park and they are actually experimental Dinosaurs and just because you mention Jurassic Park they would start to believe you, some people are naive like that where if they don't know the answer they will accept the next most logical explaination they are given no matter how absurbed it is, sure if you told them that you are just waiting for your Dinosaur to grow it's wings and then it will be moved to a private island in the south Pacific they'd believe that too. Sure after reading some of these posts when Kiff gets big enough to bring for walks I might start saying to people not to get to close because she breaths fire when she's nervous :D

MadameButterfly said:
lol some of these are funny, I'm willing to bet that those of you who have tegu big enough to bring for walks could actually convince people that you work in an experimental genetic facility like the one in Jurassic Park and they are actually experimental Dinosaurs and just because you mention Jurassic Park they would start to believe you, some people are naive like that where if they don't know the answer they will accept the next most logical explaination they are given no matter how absurbed it is, sure if you told them that you are just waiting for your Dinosaur to grow it's wings and then it will be moved to a private island in the south Pacific they'd believe that too. Sure after reading some of these posts when Kiff gets big enough to bring for walks I might start saying to people not to get to close because she breaths fire when she's nervous :D
i need to try that lol

MadameButterfly

monstruo-the-tegu said:
i need to try that lol

I bet it would work and people would believe you, sure 90% of people think Dinosaurs were Dragons and Dragons existed and could all fly and breath fire, hell you could glue an ice-cream cone on a horses head and I swear you would find some morons willing to believe it's a unicorn.

Sure P.T. Barnum made a fortune out if it, he convinced people he had a real mermaid and all it was was the head of a monkey attached to the tail of a fish, as I said most people will always believe the next most logical explaination no matter how absurd because they are afraid of looking stupid so if they say your tegu is an iguana and you say "No it's a genetically engineered Dragon, we are just waiting for it's wings to grow" I bet most will say "Oh yeah actually thats definitely a Dragon, I seen this on the Discovery Channel where scientist are bringing Dragons back to life" because people are thick at times :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029