• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Rescue!!!

ierowe

5 Year Member
I just got a Tegu free. It was given to me now comes the unfree stuff. I have never owned a reptile before. I have done tons of research on the tegu. Haven't seen a lot in person. Would like to know if this is a argentine for sure. I feel that it is but would lie confirmation from the pros(yup you guys). Thanks I will give more info once it is in a home and not in a tote.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://svrider.blogspot.com/">http://svrider.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
I have pics on my blog. Link above.

Thanks again

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Well I can't really tell, but from the pattern I would say it is a Columbian, but wait for a few others to state their opinion as Im not positive

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Same goes for me, I need a side picture of it just to check the scales on the face and body. It looks like a Columbian though from the glare off the scales and pattern. If you have it feel it, is it smooth or bumpy? If its smooth then its a Columbian if its bumpy then Argentina.

Spencer

ierowe

5 Year Member
Yeah that why I took him. I had a reptile store ay that it was a blue tegu. He is very docile right now. Just got him a heat lamp and water dish. Uvb will go in tomorrow morning. Figured he is cold and that is why he aint too active. Total newbie here. I was hoping that it was a Argentine as I hear that the Colombians are mean and almost untameable.

BOOZER

5 Year Member
LOOKS LIKE A COLUMBIAN! ALSO VERY THIN, KINDA LOOKS LIKE A BOBBLEHEAD!! SHOULD DO FINE WITH SOME REGULAR EATING. GOOD SAVE!! WHERE DID YOU GET'EM??

ierowe

5 Year Member
Went into a local rep shop and some guy brought him in cuz his kid was not taking care of him. Actually threw the dude in the trash. He just let me take him. I gave him some scrambled egg as soon as I got home and he ate. Went and got him a water bowl and he has been in it for over an hour now. He has some kinda thick drool coming out of his mouth. Like Allergy snot(clear). But he keeps drinking. I have been rubbing him while he was in the water dish seems to enjoy it. Hisses at me for a sec then relaxes and lets me touch him. His tail feels beaded he does not feel like a snake at all. Not sure if this helps with the Arg or Col identity crisis he is having LOL.

leoares27

5 Year Member
his head kinda looks like a arg. but the body looks more like the colombian like everyone else said...
def. need more pics!

DaremoAlpha

5 Year Member
I have to say columbian just on the texture of his back in the pics is almost plastic like and not beaded like an arg.

Simple question since you can get away with rubbing him is , is the skin smooth or beaded... smooth is columbian.

And if your going to have any luck taming him down you have to work with him everyday.

Great save !!!

ierowe

5 Year Member
Ok I have new pics up n my blog.
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.svrider.blogspot.com">www.svrider.blogspot.com</a><!-- w -->

ierowe

5 Year Member
shabazz said:
i dont know yall from the head it looks like an arg. to me one that needs alot of food

I hope it is. The reason my wife even let me have him is because he was being abused....it is up to us to fatten him/her up. He ate right outa my hand this morning. This is soo cool.
My wife hates to see any animal suffer even a "gross" reptile. hehehe

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Try and get a side shot of the head just so everyone can put away most of the variables. It certainly looks 100% like a Columbian to me though. The scales looks really smooth.

Here actually I get you a link to help you compare if you haven't seen it already.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://agamainternational.com/pages/tegus.html">http://agamainternational.com/pages/tegus.html</a><!-- m -->
Its down near the bottom of the page.

Spencer

ierowe

5 Year Member
Posted some new pics on my blog. Spencer I did look at that comparison but I think I want it to be a Arg that I need professional help(hmm). He just finished an egg and seems a little more active aka dont hold me. No biting though.

Further updates as events warrant.

ierowe

5 Year Member
Posted some new pics on my blog. Spencer I did look at that comparison but I think I want it to be a Arg that I need professional help(hmm). He just finished an egg and seems a little more active aka dont hold me. No biting though.

Further updates as events warrant.

BOOZER

5 Year Member
WOW NOW ITS UP IN THE AIR, CUZ HIS FACE AND HEAD AREA LOOK ARGENTINE. ALMOST A WHITEHEAD! MAYBE SOME FATTING UP WILL DO THE TRICK FOR THIS MYSTERY

ierowe

5 Year Member
BOOZER said:
LOOKS LIKE A COLUMBIAN! ALSO VERY THIN, KINDA LOOKS LIKE A BOBBLEHEAD!! SHOULD DO FINE WITH SOME REGULAR EATING. GOOD SAVE!! WHERE DID YOU GET'EM??

HA MAn what kinda tegu is this?.....a bobblehead or a whitehead columbian or argentine LOL I gues I could call him Stumper.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok, I am going to chime in on this one. I do not think it is an Argentine, and I do not think it is a Colombian. I think it is a cross between the two. He has some looks of a Colombian and some of the Argentine. If I were to guess by the pictures I would say a Blue cross Colombian black tegu.

Looking at the pictures he has somewhat of the lateral line, and you could say two loreal scales. He has beaded skin and is not as smooth as the Colombians. A little of the dark nose and tear drop, but larger back legs like the Colombian. Yet banding like an Argentine. Overall shape says Colombian, but there are traits in this animal that are not known to be found in the Colombians, and yet others that are not found in the Argentines.

See if you can find out where this animal came from, I would like to know if he was bred in the US or a wild caught import.

Call me crazy, lol. :roll: :)

jntann

5 Year Member
Hi, if you double click on his first picture it will blow it up you can see the scales on the side of his head good I would have to say it is a columbian...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980