• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

The New Tegu Talk!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I worked with two Bank of America code geeks trying to write a custom forum from scratch. That is how I found out how incredibly complex forums are...

Then I went with one of the pre-built sites. Which is where I learned how cookie cutter most of them are and how complex it is to deviate from the mold they supply.

It didn't take long for me to realize I make a much better member than I do an Admin. I quickly invited two others into Admin positions then stepped aside and let them have it.

www.allthingsdempsey.com if anyone wants to check it out

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I too think a darker theme would be better if possible. I appreciate all the time you're putting into it and that you really care about what the other members think. It would be cool if it took you to the most recent post when you click a topic instead of having to scroll all the way down (as mentioned above.. I think).

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Did you change it so it brings us to the most recent post in the threads? I just noticed that when I clicked a thread it brings me to the most recent post, I LOVE IT

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I haven't changed anything just yet. I'm glad to hear that it's working for you though. Anyone else experience this?

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I too like the old site better,i mean i think josh did a good job on this but the old site was better.:)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Can you guys be a little more specific about what exactly you liked better?
Examples help immensely. Do you not like the colors now? Do you miss the scrolling recent threads box? Do you miss the old portal? Do you not like the new logo?
Ultimately the change was really about moving the site over to a new server and using different software on the back end. Software I'm more familiar with and can manipulate more easily to suit the community's needs. I will see about copying the old theme directly over to the new software and how it looks. It should be relatively easy to copy the stylesheet over.
Thanks again for your feedback! The more involved you all are and the community is, the more motivated I become.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Josh said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Can you guys be a little more specific about what exactly you liked better?
Examples help immensely. Do you not like the colors now? Do you miss the scrolling recent threads box? Do you miss the old portal? Do you not like the new logo?
Ultimately the change was really about moving the site over to a new server and using different software on the back end. Software I'm more familiar with and can manipulate more easily to suit the community's needs. I will see about copying the old theme directly over to the new software and how it looks. It should be relatively easy to copy the stylesheet over.
Thanks again for your feedback! The more involved you all are and the community is, the more motivated I become.
I like how the old site had the scrolling,colors of the old site.But again your doing a hell of a job trying to make things better thx.:)

hangtown530

I'm a fan of the old coloring for one :)

Second it would be nice to add a link that allows you to see post that you previously viewed
You can also have a separate one for post you haven't view...

Just a thought for you...

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
*The old darker color scheme

*The scrolling box

*The green arrow taking me straight to the first post since my last visit

*On the old site, when I make a post, my personal information was listed along the left and now it is listed at the top of the thread. This is a petty difference, but I liked it better with the info off to the side.

*Being honest, I assumed the new logo was just something you threw together. I like the actual pics of real Tegus MUCH better than the silloette we have now.

*To me, the overall look of the new site is just too boxy. Right angles everywhere! Scroll up and look at a post where one member quotes another. The quote boxes look very generic, as does the post format in general.

I feel bad making lists of suggestions. You have done a great job switching servers with almost sero downtime and most members moving over without any glitches. So just keep in mind, I'm complaining with gratitude in my heart :p

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't mind the newer logo, though I slightly prefer the older one.
I really really miss the scroll box from the old site.

I don't want to be a complainer either, I know we all appreciate the work you're doing. Again, I think you're doing a great job and I'm glad you are taking the time to get our opinions :D

Daenerys

Well my old account disappeared so I had to create a new one, but I was able to do it with the old username and password so I suppose its ok :p

montana

It dosn`t make any difference to me ...

Things change and I can work with the new format just fine !!

The truth is tho ; I like nothing on this format better than the old one ..

WildlifeLover429

I agree with @Toby H

1. Darker color scheme would look a lot nicer ;) (easier on the eyes too)
2. scrolling
3. To boxy (maybe something with rounded edges or a tegu related border?)
4. The logo is good but something showing a real picture of a tegu would be a lot nicer :)

YOUR DOING AMAZING THO :D KEEP IT UP!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I guess changes affect everyone differently. One reason I didn't come to this site much was the color scheme. When you're younger, the dark background is cool. As the eyes age, white on black is terrible to look at for any length of time. I like being able to click on the new posts, today's posts easily. That was difficult to find and cluttered in the older format. Plus, it took a long time for the new posts scroll window to actually scroll. I was trying to read ahead, KWIM? So I love the new site and find myself checking in every day or so instead of once a month or two or three.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm working on the dark theme this weekend. If you'd like to help test it and provide feedback on what colors work and which don't, please send me a PM.
The dark theme will be available to all who want it very soon!

montana

Thanks Josh!!!

The new Tegu Talk is just fine ...

Works fine except for all that script on portal page ..

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dark theme is almost done! A few more tweaks and I'll be able to release to all. Thanks to Toby for "beta testing"!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980