• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

things i learned from david Blair

RobK.

!. he one heck of a nice guy and very informative .A+!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. never feed them dandelions leave UNTIL you see the flower , milk weed look almost the same as dandelion and BUT are very toxic , And guess what i was giving him last fall and last week ? wa i just pulled a bundle out by the root , cut the leaves off at the base and got a milky subs lance . BLEW THAT .

3. humidity between 45-69 during the day is fine, at night 80 +/- .NEVER LET YOU CAGE STAY WET . It should dry out completely after misting , Which i do .

4 . feed 1 year and older Iguana every other day or they will become picky eater ( mine is )or they may start eating just the sweet stuff and the Mazuri TC (That my rhino case ) . also feeding them every day increase there growth rate above normal . He said mine is growing too fast and after he 's well again cut back to feeding him every other day and he will iot be picky and will eat everything on his plate .

5. my husbanrty and cage is right on , except he feels 105-110 should be the max skin temp on you iguana . A basking area can be a little hotter( 120) but their body will not get as hot as the basking temps .

6 .New Cyclura book , get it !! He did and said its great but had a few mistakes in it .

here is a link for the book , shop around you can fin it cheap , i bet .

http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/Cyclura/Jeffrey-M-Lemm/book_9781437735161.htm

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like you figured out the issues. Hopefully he will be back on track in no time.

RobK.

also rhino iguana never get enough UVB indoors with the best lights or outdoor in most cities . compared to where they are from , so give them Calcium WITH D3 twice a week and vitamins once a week . His live outdoor doors 24/7 in S.California and he still gives his ( all 150+) Cal/D3.

Maro1

That Cyclura book is great. I got mine on amazon cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclura-Husbandry-Conservation-Behavior-Management/dp/1437735169/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333477287&sr=8-1

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
!. he one heck of a nice guy and very informative .A+!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. never feed them dandelions leave UNTIL you see the flower , milk weed look almost the same as dandelion and BUT are very toxic , And guess what i was giving him last fall and last week ? wa i just pulled a bundle out by the root , cut the leaves off at the base and got a milky subs lance . BLEW THAT .

3. humidity between 45-69 during the day is fine, at night 80 +/- .NEVER LET YOU CAGE STAY WET . It should dry out completely after misting , Which i do .

4 . feed 1 year and older Iguana every other day or they will become picky eater ( mine is )or they may start eating just the sweet stuff and the Mazuri TC (That my rhino case ) . also feeding them every day increase there growth rate above normal . He said mine is growing too fast and after he 's well again cut back to feeding him every other day and he will iot be picky and will eat everything on his plate .

5. my husbanrty and cage is right on , except he feels 105-110 should be the max skin temp on you iguana . A basking area can be a little hotter( 120) but their body will not get as hot as the basking temps .

6 .New Cyclura book , get it !! He did and said its great but had a few mistakes in it .

here is a link for the book , shop around you can fin it cheap , i bet .
ound 45 to 55%
http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/Cyclura/Jeffrey-M-Lemm/book_9781437735161.htm

I have the book its pretty good,david blair is a smart guy,glad he gave you some pointers,and thanks for sharing them too bye the way.Hope ur rhino's ok.

RobK.

he also said that a CLEAR runny nose with out gasping , yellow discharge , open mouth or breathing problems is totally NORMAL, And when they lay down they will have a small puddle of fluid under there nose and chin a lot of the time , especially in High Humidity . being that he has over 150 Cyclurai bet he know more than most people on the subject on the Cyclura.

WELL after looking at milk weeds on the net , none of them look like what i picked . ??? BUT the dandelions sure do , Do dandelions have a little milky looking liquid at the base of the leaves ??

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah im sure he is pretty smart and knows alot about cyclura.Thats why i go to rob ehrig for most of my qustions if i'm unsure about something with my rhino's or cuban.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hope Roni gets better real soon, David sure is one helluva guy. I've asked him so many questions and he's always got an answer.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Its nice there are honest people out there like david blair,rob ehrig willing to help people that may need help with there cyclura iguanas when not sure of something as to health,care ,temps,etc.There are some helpful people on here as well like mario1,robk,teguboy77 myself lol, we all take care of our rhino's and cubans well,and there are some others on her as well like tegubuzz to.

Maro1

when they lay down they will have a small puddle of fluid under there nose and chin a lot of the time
My Rhino's have always had this "Puddling" thing going on. :)

Maro1

Maro1

I have always thought this "Puddling" was normal since all of my Iguanas did this. I also spray my cages after dark to raise the humidity in their cages pretty high. If you watch the humidity throughout the day where they are from it does this.

http://weather.yahoo.com/dominican-republic/distrito-nacional/santo-domingo-76456/

Maro1

RobK.

he's been out side most of the last two days , I have a MVB for extra heat encase a cloud comes over . My 6.2 meter read 280 at 11 am and around 350 at 2-3 pm , we live at 5,000 feet . He was soaking up a ton of UVB and enjoyed it much as did i , I had my humidifier under he cage and shade . BOY does he get pumped up after being outside . Taking him out he is calm and collect , BUT bringing him back in he's hard to hold and the minute i put him back in his indoor cage he hides and pouts.The only thing i can try is no more veggies grown with round up . I can't afford the big vet bill every 6 months . If they could find a problem and correct it , that would be one thing .
Maro1 said:
when they lay down they will have a small puddle of fluid under there nose and chin a lot of the time
My Rhino's have always had this "Puddling" thing going on. :)

Maro1

see i never new that before and never read that anywhere , but its sure good to know .

TeguBuzz said:
Hope Roni gets better real soon, David sure is one helluva guy. I've asked him so many questions and he's always got an answer.

yes , he asked me a ton of very good question , but said i was doing everything spot on and had a great enclosure and environment for my Rhino . Only thing was i was giving him calcuim with no D3 and too often . I know for sure i was not giving him any milk weeds as i did not find any photo that look close to dandelions . He sounded like a very kind and happy go lucky person . :D

Maro1

Rob, what are your outdoor temps there now? Mine is always harder to handle after he is fully Sunned up! LOL

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's real good to know Rob! The only downside to contacting David is it's all through email unless he calls you from his phone, which shows up as a Private Number. I have no issues with it but I only wish I had his direct # incase I ever had an emergency of some sort you know? Haha I hope Roni keeps getting better, he sure is a stunner. My cayman, Buzz has definitely grown a good deal in the month I've had him and I feed him every other day on a varied diet. The only problem I have encountered is that he isn't too fond of the mazuri I put in his plate and I'm not exactly sure how to get him to eat some of it. I will be keeping him outside real soon when I get the enclosure plans all set!

RobK.

TeguBuzz said:
That's real good to know Rob! The only downside to contacting David is it's all through email unless he calls you from his phone, which shows up as a Private Number. I have no issues with it but I only wish I had his direct # incase I ever had an emergency of some sort you know? Haha I hope Roni keeps getting better, he sure is a stunner. My cayman, Buzz has definitely grown a good deal in the month I've had him and I feed him every other day on a varied diet. The only problem I have encountered is that he isn't too fond of the mazuri I put in his plate and I'm not exactly sure how to get him to eat some of it. I will be keeping him outside real soon when I get the enclosure plans all set!

pm sent

I have just about weaned mine off mazuri , that's almost all he would he for a while .

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm glad you had such a good conversation with him! I've always heard that he is an awesome guy!

I was curious about his D3 statement. I read a study that stated dietary D3 is not beneficial to igs (green igs but herbivorous lizards) a year or two ago. Then I came across this one. Interesting...I'm glad to know they do benefit after all.

http://www.anapsid.org/pdf/jody-hibma-uvb.pdf

Personally I don't think dandelion and milkweed look anything alike, lol. I have tons of milkweed around here, do you guys have it out west? It has long slender leaves and little tiny flowers.

My green ig is getting picky and I feed him every day. I wonder if he would eat better if I fed him every other day....hmmm.... but they eat every day in the wild so I feel so bad for him if I don't feed him daily.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
As far as using calcium with d3,i use the calcium without the d3 and a great diet of staple greens,i use the calcium 2 times a week and multivitamin once a week which i've been doing for years,plus good uvb lighting.I never gave my rhino/cuban calcium everyday of the week,i personally dont think its good for them everyday being there getting calcium from there food as well.I might change over to calcium with d3 now reading the information above.Also i will keep using mazuri tc, just i give my iguanas there greens first then some mazuri.And i to will feed mine greens everyday cause in the wild they eat everyday as laurarfl mentioned and i agree.Now as mine get older i'll see maybe i will cut back to feeding every other day.And i to think the sun is the best for the iguanas,but i'll always use my megaray as i keep my guys inside,as the weather warms up i'll take them outside in the sun in the summer to catch some good old sun rays.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980