• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Today I Got A Visit From Animal Control about my Tegu !!!!!!!!!!

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Tegubuzz, your English is excellent and I had absolutely no idea it was your second language to be totally honest. I'm Austin by the way. I truly appreciate your effort in making your posts so understandable and comprehensive. I was born and raised in America and I still can't understand some of the posts made on this forum. In response to Kabikano, no I'm not a 12 year old wanna be ghetto kid. I pride myself on being able to use proper English in my posts, and yes that includes all 26 letters of the English alphabet. The way you write responses shapes the way people view you. When you fail to use proper English, most peoples opinions of you probably won't rise. The use of "u" instead of you is one of my biggest pet peeves. The use of the letter k as a replacement for the letter c is I guess understandable as you're showing your heritage, but since we aren't on a forum where the common language is Tagalog I find it distracting. I think that it would be extremely helpful if everyone could take the extra time to properly use the English language when posting.

k1ngph1l

Everyone is way to funny. This is an internet forum no one cares about how they type. Just because someone chooses to type like that on an internet forum where they dont know anyone does not mean they talk like that in real life or type like that in all situations. This is just like when some people text their friends and they use acronyms, this doesn't meant that they also type like that when they are sending an email at work. There is a very big difference between grammar in an internet forum and grammar at work or in a professional setting.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow. Umm...I just meant the harsh bullying comments are thug like.

And text speak makes translate difficult to use. Fact. If it hit a sore spot, I apologize. But if you are referring to ME as some of the insulting things you said, I think it is very rude.

Again, someone owns this forum and we are all registered users. Just because you can access it does not mean you have first amendment rights here to say whatever you want.

James, I agree, with all the current legislation regrading herps, this could have ended very badly. Fortunately it did not and a few people were educated in the interim.

If you just coat them with a touch of honey, you might find that your message is better received. If one person calls you a duck, you can shrug it off. If two people call you a duck, you might want to look for feathers. If three people call you a duck, check and see if you're quacking. (Old saying)

Why is talking with an air of decency considered censorship, sugar coating, or avoiding the topic? I don't think anyone on this forum suggests that other members shouldn't give criticism. However, in realizing that all of us make mistakes and none of us have all the answers, perhaps it would be best to actually discuss something instead of every topic turning into a mud slinging, word wrestling match. Some people seem to get so personally upset if the original poster doesn't give them credit or show so much gratitude for that piece of advice. All you can do is put info out there. Others take it or they don't. But you sure can't shove down someone's throat.

I don't care so much about the text speak and such. And different backgrounds are interesting. How boring would it be if we were all the same?

apocalypse910

We are all here because we care about tegus. I am the first person to get furious when people don't take care of their pets - or refuse to do simple things like take a deathly ill lizard to the vet. What doesn't make any sense is coming down on every owner that makes a mistake especially if they have already learned their lesson.

There is not an experienced reptile keeper on earth that hasn't screwed up something. It is also very difficult to ask for help when anyone who admits to the slightest misstep gets berated repeatedly. This is stupid and counterproductive. The worst thing we can do is discourage people from admitting their mistakes.

It is also pretty damn clear that we have members from a variety of backgrounds and English is not everyone's first language here. Yes, certain types of intentional misspellings and text speak drive me insane but chasing people away because of their communication style does nothing for the forums.

Lets save up our ire for the people that deserve it. I'm sick of seeing owners who are grieving for a lost pet berated for things they are already beating themselves up over. I'm sick of pretty much every thread devolving into stupid drama. If your reply prevents one person from seeking help about their tegu when they need it you are doing more harm than good.

In short - Less stupid drama and ego more tegu stuff.

Op: Awesome Story

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The best thing about all of this is that it was brought on for me asking if anyone else saw a problem with the incident. I agree it is an awesome story and it ended great, but it could have ended terribly and I don't think someone should be applauded for having a "pet" escape and "scare" the neighbors.

apocalypse910

james.w said:
The best thing about all of this is that it was brought on for me asking if anyone else saw a problem with the incident. I agree it is an awesome story and it ended great, but it could have ended terribly and I don't think someone should be applauded for having a "pet" escape and "scare" the neighbors.

I certainly don't think it should be applauded, and I do get your concern. As a reptile owner anything that could cause more scared people and stupid laws is a huge problem. I'm happy this worked out well though and turned into a positive outreach opportunity - but yes it could have gone badly in a million ways. I doubt though that OP is taking it lightly. I think it is clear that no sane owner is going to let their Tegu escape as a result. There is a big difference between enjoying the story and approving of every decision that lead up to it. If anything the story is a good reminder to double check your enclosures and may do some good.

I do apologize - my post wasn't meant to be directed at you. It just seems that there is a lot of after-the-fact criticism and drama lately that is getting in the way of discussion. Your question was reasonable - things just escalated quickly from there. The last thing I want is to throw more fuel on the fire - things have just been oddly tense here lately and they seemed to be reaching a boiling point.

Edit: I use way too many hyphens

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:

If you don't mind me saying, this post comes across so much more productive than one with the hypothetical "anyone else have a problem with this."

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
james.w said:

If you don't mind me saying, this post comes across so much more productive than one with the hypothetical "anyone else have a problem with this."

I don't mind at all. Sometimes I type what comes to mind and sometimes people read into what is posted.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sure, it happens all the time. That's what is so hard about the net. No emotion. What I think happens is that short posts get interpreted as harsh or blunt. I'm sure I do that.

Diablo

5 Year Member
What's funny is these "harsh" posts and "hateful" posts are often typed with the intent not to be harsh or hateful, but helpful and informative. Everyone interprets these posts differently because we all think different. Whenever I read a post on this forum that I think is "hateful" or "harsh", I immediately think to myself if what they are saying is meant to be helpful and not at all harsh. Sometimes people are in a hurry and they type a quick post from their phone and they don't have time to sugarcoat it.

What I'm trying to say is that both sides have a good argument. Really you guys just need to find a way to come to terms with how everyone reads these posts. If you don't then these off topic "arguments", will keep happening.

larissalurid

Wow at all the drama X_X

Anyway back to the actual topic of the post, I'm so glad that turned out the best possible way...oh man I was thinking of all the horribly possibilities when I saw the title and started reading the story. Funny story lol :]

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Today I Got A Visit From Animal Control about my Tegu !!!!!!!!!!

larissalurid said:
Wow at all the drama X_X

Anyway back to the actual topic of the post, I'm so glad that turned out the best possible way...oh man I was thinking of all the horribly possibilities when I saw the title and started reading the story. Funny story lol :]

Yes...when I read the topic I was thinking maybe someone called complaining and the tegu was maybe in danger of being removed or something...so glad it was not the case and happy that the animal control person is now educated a bit about these animals for possible future interactions with them! :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Dana C

Back to the slang for a moment. One does not type a response in "thugee" without effort. In other words, anyone who has even an elementary school education knows how to communicate. To claim that they don't really isn't truthful on this or any other forum. Sadly, the thug talk reduces the writers credibility geometrically to a level close to zero. I stop reading or listening almost instantly when I see it or hear it.

As for James' comments on this thread and others. I have met him and he is a nice guy who communicates succinctly and briefly. He is a blunt and too the point poster with much to share. This is after all, an internet forum and being overly sensitive about interpreting the tone of a comment is silly.

Laura, I too have seen many "old timers" disappear from this forum and I visit it much less than before. Part of it is my health, which is going down hill but the other is the overly critical post, IMHO, and the lack of care that people take in posting. I stop reading when the grammar and thug talk becomes more than I can stand. YES, I realize that I am an intellectual snob but I refuse to dumb down for others edification.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have been thinking about you this past week, Dana. My health has been wacky, too. But it keeps me on the computer more because I can't get outside and do the things I want to do!

I'm sure it is just about very passionate people all trying to make difference. ;)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words Dana. Good to see you on the site, how have you been?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029