• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tong Feeding

Murkve

Hey everyone!

After getting my new baby Tegu - Sigourney - from Laura, I've been working to build her trust as a hatchling. While I will definitely do as Varnyard suggests with the "ignore" technique, I want to wait until she's a bit bigger. For now I've been gently talking to her, and letting her get use to my hands in the enclosure.

As something I picked up from Monitor Keepers, I've also been tong feeding her for every meal the last 4 days. Things seem to be going well, she'll willingly come by to investigate my hands (without food), and as of today I can lead her out of her hide and anywhere in the enclosure with tongs and food.

I'm wondering how many of you have used tongs as a taming method, and did it work well for you?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Big fan of tong feeding. I click the tongs together or against the side of the cage to let them know its feeding time. Sometimes I am lazy and use a bowl though :)

IWANTATEGU

chelvis said:
Big fan of tong feeding. I click the tongs together or against the side of the cage to let them know its feeding time. Sometimes I am lazy and use a bowl though :)

Question if you use tongs and train them like that does that make it ok to feed them in their enclosure

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I have always used tongs, my big guy is so gentle I very well could use my hands but I rather not have an uh ohs... Rex has never been very good at eating off of a plate or from a bowl, he misses and bites the bowl instead, and then spills his food everywhere... or he'll go to grab the food item, miss it, not know that he doesnt have and then try to swallow nothing. lol So tongs are how we do every meal...

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The biggest issue I have found with feeding in the enclosure is feeding response. It makes them awfully enthusiastic to see you at the door!!!

bmx3000max

so if I use feeding tongss than I can feel him inside the enclosure but if I don't use feeding tongs then i have to feed him outside enclosure if I'm right?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
The biggest issue I have found with feeding in the enclosure is feeding response. It makes them awfully enthusiastic to see you at the door!!!

I'be only experienced this with a Savannah monitor.

bmx3000max said:
so if I use feeding tongss than I can feel him inside the enclosure but if I don't use feeding tongs then i have to feed him outside enclosure if I'm right?

You can feed in the enclosure either way.

bmx3000max

james.w said:
laurarfl said:

I'be only experienced this with a Savannah monitor.

bmx3000max said:

You can feed in the enclosure either way.

they dont get to food aggresive? i heard thats one of thier biggest problems

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as you interact with them at times other than feeding, you shouldn't have that problem. If you only open the enclosure to feed they will associate the door opening with food. Some will be food aggressive no matter what you do.

Murkve

I've noticed mine will only really go anywhere when he's hungry. The rest of the time the food needs to come to him.

Some need to get used to the tongs as well. They are a strange, foreign object - after all.

larissalurid

I recommend to anyone with the problem I've been having (my hatchling doesn't want to be handled and im not going to grab him out to try to get him in a feeding bin, that seems like id just scare him and lose trust) where I need to feed in the cage to use tongs as stated or break the food up into bite sized pieces on a plate so that none gets dragged off and has substrate ingested with it. Also I make sure my tegu is hiding before I put his food in or if he is out I mist over him a little so he closes his eyes and i quickly slip his plate of food in while his eyes are closed (as well as putting a shirt or something over my hand and arm so that he doesnt associate me with food at all) The first few days i had him where i just put it in for him to see, about 2 or 3 days in he bolted and went to basically attack the plate of food so I realized that it was best to do it so he doesnt associate me or the door opening with food.

I haven't used tongs though, I only have a short yellow pair and im not sure if he would come close or not (or if they are even long enough to be safe, i dont want him seeing my hand so close to food X_X )

HeatherN

if it eases your mind, Tarot has no issues distinguishing tongs from hands, even when the tongs are not holding food and my hands are. he will chase the tongs even when hes just eaten the food out of them, and he doesnt take food out of my hands unless theyre snails lol. ive always fed him with tongs. so much that he really does not like to eat off a plate unless he thinks hes starving. i do bring the food to him, but he doesnt get excited unless he heres the tongs clicking or sees the tongs.

larissalurid

HeatherN said:
if it eases your mind, Tarot has no issues distinguishing tongs from hands, even when the tongs are not holding food and my hands are. he will chase the tongs even when hes just eaten the food out of them, and he doesnt take food out of my hands unless theyre snails lol. ive always fed him with tongs. so much that he really does not like to eat off a plate unless he thinks hes starving. i do bring the food to him, but he doesnt get excited unless he heres the tongs clicking or sees the tongs.

Yea I know that other reptiles I have know tongs mean food. Perhaps I'll try that today, I just wasn't sure if he'd see my hand next to the tiny tongs and start thinking my hand also means food. lol I know that the day after I had that thing happen where i brought the plate of food in and he charged at it, he did that to my hand with no plate in it the next day

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980