• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Try Cockroaches!!

simon021

5 Year Member
so pretty much just a treat then. Dont get me wrong it sounds like a great feeder, but from a nutrition standpoint they seem kinda pointless for a tegu. Am i missing something here? I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to understand where exactly they fit into a tegus diet. nutrients, or snacks? I absolutely hated crickets, and would much rather feed pinkies or something, so I can understand the need to get away from crickets.

Just a few friendly questions. Not trying to sink your ship or anything :D

Jer723

5 Year Member
simon021 said:
so pretty much just a treat then. Dont get me wrong it sounds like a great feeder, but from a nutrition standpoint they seem kinda pointless for a tegu. Am i missing something here? I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to understand where exactly they fit into a tegus diet. nutrients, or snacks? I absolutely hated crickets, and would much rather feed pinkies or something, so I can understand the need to get away from crickets.

Just a few friendly questions. Not trying to sink your ship or anything :D

to me roaches are just a feeding system for young tegus. just like crickets. they are just an alternative. like when a baby tegu eats mostly crickets, then you could feecd roaches. roaches are something i believe ou are supposed to ween your tegu off of like, a puppy. that way they can move on to more nutritios food items, and the occasional roach can be a snack for an adult tegu. so the main point is that when the tegu is young it can be a main part/ staple of the diet. but you should eventually try to switch your tegus over to better foods. hope this helps

Jerry

cornking4

5 Year Member
Hey jerry, quick question. I feed primarily roaches now (I have a five month old) and I want to start feeding him more healthy stuff. I can't keep prey items in the freezer (due to my frickin gay stepbrothers squeamishness) so can I use a mix of chicken/turkey and gizzards/liver? I don't want him to get addicted to anything.

Jer723

5 Year Member
cornking4 said:
Hey jerry, quick question. I feed primarily roaches now (I have a five month old) and I want to start feeding him more healthy stuff. I can't keep prey items in the freezer (due to my frickin gay stepbrothers squeamishness) so can I use a mix of chicken/turkey and gizzards/liver? I don't want him to get addicted to anything.

well that sounds ok but you really should be feeding whole prey items, somehow. that mix sounds fine. but whole prey items should be fed. you have to find some way of sneaking them in. the tegu gets calcium and all his nutrients from the bones/fur of the prey item so they should be fed.
any other ??? just ask . . .

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus