• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Underground has some RedxBlue albinos

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Melanin protects the eyes from UVB. Damage from UVB exposure is a leading cause of cataracts. fact The reddish color of the eye is albinism is not a "color", but a lack of melanism, causing the color of blood vessels to show through. My friend Shawn Heflick has been able to produce albino alligators, but they do require protection from the sun. To pretend that albino animals are not light sensitive is just silly.

tommylee22

You really want to see health problems look at how they produce Albinio Tigers, thats sad. I get it if it's a freak of nature and it's cool. Just be sure that those that buy and or keep them do their homework as they aren't the same hardie animals as the normal animals.

I wonder if they are light sinsitive how will they produce D3 and not develop MBD as they get older? I'm clueless when it comes to the albino reptiles that require UVB. I'm going to look into it thou.

here is a little threead around Albinos
http://www.tegutalk.com/archive/index.php/thread-5198-2.html

tommylee22 said:
You really want to see health problems look at how they produce Albinio Tigers, thats sad. I get it if it's a freak of nature and it's cool. Just be sure that those that buy and or keep them do their homework as they aren't the same hardie animals as the normal animals.

I wonder if they are light sinsitive how will they produce D3 and not develop MBD as they get older?

Well I thought that reptiles can also ingest D3 in forms like liver, cod liver oil, etc. although poor, a reptile can still attain D3

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's the opposite. Animals with little to no melanin have decreased protection from UVB. UVB is what is used by the skin for Vit D synthesis. So they can utilize UVB for Vit D production and have no problems there, but need extra protection from "sunburn" (to put it loosely). In the case of the alligators, they are kept in a shaded enclosure and have algae growth on their skin. I would think these tegus would not be happy under a strong MVB.

It's not that albino animals are born blind and such, they just don't have the same eye and skin protection afforded by melanin so must be treated accordingly. It's the same concept in people. Those that are fair skinned and light eyed are much more light sensitive and prone to UV related damage. Those that spend a lot of time on the water/snow are more likely to develop cataracts. Very dark-skinned people living far from the equator need more Vit D supplements.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I understand the sensitivity in the eyes/skin, but that isn't a health problem. If kept correctly they will have no problems. NERD produces albino water monitors and has healthy adults. Tegus can be kept without UVB, the same way a monitor can. Don't believe everything you read.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Feed it whole prey, same way you keep monitors without UVB.

If you don't know what you are doing, don't try it. I won't be responsible for your tegus health.

Jan Paul

Albino is a genetic loss of pigment, multiple inbreeding with blood relativs can weakening occur, isolated populations like the Bleu's in Brazil are a good example of this ( I think thats why they already give albino's in captivity after a few generations?) . There are no health problems elsewhere i think (ore they are should arise by other factors), only with the pigment. They have certainly uvb needed and this is not just to solve with nutrition. Good uvb issuance is not bad, but the UV index must be low. So a strong UVB lamp hanging higher as normal so the UV index gets lower but the UVB still touches the ground, pigment is like a sunglasses. Only now the sunglas UV resistants is verry low, thats why the eyes can get a type of las eyes ore temporary cataracts. Also the UV index gets verry quik to strong and can cause much damage. The index is like how far the UVB radiation comes.....

I think it is a wonderful animal :)

tommylee22

It hasn't been proven that the animal can gain D3 thru the stomach some say they can’t and I believe that Bobby has a video on YouTube showing a really bad case where the owner only gave D3 supplement not utilizing actual UVB lighting. MBD was really bad...

Quartzyellowjacket said:
tommylee22 said:

I wonder if they are light sinsitive how will they produce D3 and not develop MBD as they get older?

Well I thought that reptiles can also ingest D3 in forms like liver, cod liver oil, etc. although poor, a reptile can still attain D3

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tommy how would you explain monitors that don't receive uvb, but can thrive and reproduce. I am not talking about using D3 supplements either, rather feeding while prey to get the proper nutrients.

Jan Paul. Do you have any facts proving that uvb bulbs are required and the animal cannot receive what it needs through its diet??

Skeetzy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rxhuuIcnTA

Bobby's video on only supplementing D3. But theres no way of proving that this animal even had a good diet with a good amount of D3 supplementation. It could've been living off of crickets with d3 powder for all we know.

I wouldn't try it myself, but I'm sure a very proper whole prey diet, with plenty of calcium/d3 supplements, would allow these animals to progress and grow properly.

jwyo

I had a conversation with a local breeder of uromastyx, that had been testing the theory that without placement by a UVA/bright light UVB could indeed damage they eye. The base theory was that without the correct light levels the eye does not dialate properly to shield the eye from damage. Thus he stipulated that the basking spot was where the UVB had to be place.

tommylee22

james.w said:
I read the thread on albinism, but don't see any facts on health problems just opinions. Can you tell me what health problems they have that aren't opinion related, but fact?

If you google any animal including humans that's albino there is huge risks in them going blind due to exposure to UV and development of cataracts, Reptiles will actually burn and blister as they have no way of protecting themselves from the rays. It works in snakes and lets say nocturnal reptiles. It's very hard in those that require UVB.. Kinda of a the thing that keeps you thriving is the very thing that can harm you.

Bntegus

i love to read this stuff james most people believe bobby about stuff like albinos and uv i have had albino tegus and not albinos for 14 years and almost never use uv lights and i have always feed whole pray and nothing else oh and some fruit lol wheres dana he will right a book about all this lol

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
But tegus and monitors can be kept without UVB, so they can be kept without risk of burning/blistering therefore no health risk.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Hahaha well according to many feeding whole prey is unhealthy and unnatural and ground turkey is better as a staple. Anyways, I know quite a few people who keep monitors and tegus successfully without UVB...

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lots of hear say but no references, just like any other argument you'll find some that will agree and disagree which reptiles can live a healthy and productive life with/without UVB. If only UVB was the only issue for albinos, it's bright lights and sun exposure UVA/B doesn't matter. Long periods of high exposure to either one will cause health issues.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is a healthy albino monitor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDYQ0OBdQYI

Bntegus

Bubblz Calhoun said:
Lots of hear say but no references, just like any other argument you'll find some that will agree and disagree which reptiles can live a healthy and productive life with/without UVB. If only UVB was the only issue for albinos, it's bright lights and sun exposure UVA/B doesn't matter. Long periods of high exposure to either one will cause health issues.

hear say is the number one problem. if i showed everyone feed cards of tegus that are 12 or 14 yeas old and have only had whole prey and no uv they still would have something to say. if they are taken care of right then you wont have problems. there is a lot of people on this web site that have good advice but no one lessons it takes time to learn what is right and wrong with tegus and monitors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980