• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worried about Kimo, take a look please!

TheTeguGurl

I dont know about swabbing his mouth...with that stuff.. I had a Tegu come to me in care he had really bad MBD. his mouth open just a bit. i just kept it really clean with luke warm water. Don't feed him in his enclosure and when he is done eating just make sure his mouth is cleaned off of any left over food. I wouldn't rule out that he has MBD so i wold do " your plan" If he isnt getting better I would take him to a vet ASAP

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The peroxide will help keep it from getting infected, by swabbing it you are moving food and other particles that can build up and cause complications, thats how the vet explained it to me with my iguana, and his was so bad he ultiately lost all his teeth on his lower right side jaw

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would definitely get the powersun back in, they have a longer range of effective UVB than the coil or tube style bulbs. I would guess it is a calcium deficiency if the MVB bulb just recently went bad. If the temps get too high from the 160W, get a 100W and just raise the basking spot to the bulb.

Max713

Alright well, obviously the new lamp will have to wait, but the diet changes today:
DSC_0002-23.jpg

Fresh fruit, tilapia, grapes, chicken liver, chicken heart.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Now make sure all of that gets dusted with calcium powder, but don't overdo it.

Another thing you could do depending on weather, is get him outside for some natural sunlight. It is better than any UVB bulb there is.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow i didnt fallow this as close as i had hoped. Yep it sounds like early MBD can easily be fixed. Like people said the diets and bulbs all need to be re worked.

Also do not use hydrogen poroxide. That cause dissue damage and really should not be used on soft tissues around the mouth. I know some vets still recomend it, but its not a good iead. Use a salt water or saline water to rinse the mouth, only if it looks like sores.

Riplee

5 Year Member
As my experience it is a sign of lack of the vitamin.

Does he have the shedding problem?

Try feed him some beef liver and fish oil once a week.

Max713

chelvis said:
Wow i didnt fallow this as close as i had hoped. Yep it sounds like early MBD can easily be fixed. Like people said the diets and bulbs all need to be re worked.

Also do not use hydrogen poroxide. That cause dissue damage and really should not be used on soft tissues around the mouth. I know some vets still recomend it, but its not a good iead. Use a salt water or saline water to rinse the mouth, only if it looks like sores.
There aren't any sores present, thinking I'll hold off on the rinse?
Putting the bulb in the mail tomorrow, hoping it won't take TOO long to get her...
He didn't eat much today, one mouth ful of turkey, 1/4"x3/8" piece of chicken heart, and grabbed a piece of grape but spit it back out.
Everything was pretty thoroughly dusted with Vit other than the grapes.

Riplee said:

Thats another weird thing about Kimo, he's only shed once in the 4 months I've had him! That she wasn't "bad", although his toes were just a little bit stubborn.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Really hard to beat basking in the sun outdoors. You have great support here and I believe you are on track as to how to provide him a speedy recovery.

Best of luck!

...Jefroka

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd give him time. But like Jefroka said natural sun light really can not be beat. Chances are he might have has early stages of MBD and other deffiancies before he slowed down and now that he is warming up again they are starting to show again. Once they are all remadied you should see strenght return, energy, growth and shedding.

Riplee

5 Year Member
Max713 said:
chelvis said:

There aren't any sores present, thinking I'll hold off on the rinse?
Putting the bulb in the mail tomorrow, hoping it won't take TOO long to get her...
He didn't eat much today, one mouth ful of turkey, 1/4"x3/8" piece of chicken heart, and grabbed a piece of grape but spit it back out.
Everything was pretty thoroughly dusted with Vit other than the grapes.

Riplee said:

Thats another weird thing about Kimo, he's only shed once in the 4 months I've had him! That she wasn't "bad", although his toes were just a little bit stubborn.

Sign of vitamin deficiency:
1. the mouth like your tegu
2. Shedding Problem.

U got both.

So try my suggestion, he will be fine in a few months.

Thank you.

Max713

chelvis said:
I'd give him time. But like Jefroka said natural sun light really can not be beat. Chances are he might have has early stages of MBD and other deffiancies before he slowed down and now that he is warming up again they are starting to show again. Once they are all remadied you should see strenght return, energy, growth and shedding.

That is so reassuring, thank you!

I think he may a bit small still to put a lizard harness on him to take him outside, what do you think?
Thats the only way I can think of to get him some natural sun light...

Riplee

5 Year Member
Max713 said:
chelvis said:

That is so reassuring, thank you!

I think he may a bit small still to put a lizard harness on him to take him outside, what do you think?
Thats the only way I can think of to get him some natural sun light...

All my tegus keep indoor in their whole life. None of them touched even a little sunlight.

But you can try use a screen cage, like hamster's, then put under the sunlight but make sure give him a hide and a water bowl to protect him from the over heat.

Max713

I know it's not required, or even needed, but I also know it couldn't hurt in Kimo's case... Although I think it may just be all too risky.

Riplee

5 Year Member
I think your tegu has no calcium problem (maybe a little but not major problem) and Ur cage is prefect.

It is only the Vitamin problem

2. Shedding Problem.

U got both.

Thank you.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I believe your problems are from lack of calcium and lack of UVB. The UVB can be made up for by basking in the natural sunlight. A wire cage will work or get 4 pieces of wood and make a square for him to hang out in. But like Riplee said have a hide, water bowl, and shade if you can. Get the calcium on everything that is not whole prey daily and you should see a quick turn-around.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I'd lean more towards a nutritional deficiency. Ground turkey and calcium simply doesn't have enough nutrients to be a balanced food on its own.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Riplee said:
I think your tegu has no calcium problem (maybe a little but not major problem) and Ur cage is prefect.

It is only the Vitamin problem

2. Shedding Problem.

U got both.

Thank you.

What makes you think this?? And not a calcium/UVB deficiency??

Max713

Little Wise Owl said:
I'd lean more towards a nutritional deficiency. Ground turkey and calcium simply doesn't have enough nutrients to be a balanced food on its own.

That reminds me:
You should not feed raw eggs to your Tegu, I remember a video a while back of your red lapping up some egg yolk.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Riplee

5 Year Member
[/quote]

What makes you think this?? And not a calcium/UVB deficiency??

[/quote]

Because I knew a lot of people's tegus have nutritional/vitamin deficiency, and they all have two major signs:

1. Mouse like this thread.
2. Shedding.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029