• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Building enclosure

isdrake

5 Year Member
We want to build a new enclosure for our Argentine B/W Tegu. We have had her/him for about two weeks now and it's time to build a prober home. :)

I admit that's it's not going to be huge, but I think it will be pretty good. ^^
I will post a picture of a simple 3D model I made. It's actually 3 terrariums. The lower is for the tegu. The upper will be divided into two terrariums. One for our beared dragon, and one might be used to breed quails... or for some other lizard... We haven't decided yet.

The bottom surface will be 4,5 square meters.
L 3m D 1.5m H 1.2m
About 0,3 meter will be used for substrate.

The bottom surface will be 14,7 square feet.
L 9,8 feet D 4.9 feet H 3,9 feet
About 0,9 feet will be used for substrate.

Hopefully my boyfriend will start to build somewhere after Christmas/Yule (I'm with my parents during the holidays). We will post photos as soon as we have anything to show.

Attachments

• terrarium_helhet4_orig_SE.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 44

isdrake

5 Year Member
I'm not home right now but my boyfriend and a friend of his started working on the new terrarium today. It's going to be big. :D

Vivarium_79702.jpg

Vivarium_79701.jpg

isdrake

5 Year Member
Vivarium_79793.jpg

Another photo on the terrarium for the tegu/tegus...

Vivarium_79795.jpg

And this a smaller terrarium that will stand on top of the bigger one. This one will be used for our bearded dragon Zelda. :p

It's 1,5 x 1 x 0,9 meter

That's about 5 x 3 x 3 feet

isdrake

5 Year Member
I came home last night... I know the terrarium they have been building is big... but it's HUGE!!!

I asked my boyfriend to take a photo while I was inside. :D And I'm a pretty big girl...

Vivarium_79918.jpg

isdrake

5 Year Member
We have both been very busy lately. But we are finally coming somewhere with the small terrarium for our bearded dragon.

1,5 x 1 x 0,9 meters
about 5 x 3.3 x 3 feet (L D H)

Vivarium_80136.jpg

isdrake

5 Year Member
It's starting to look like a terrarium now. :D Moisture barrier, glass, air gaps, lamps. Also managed to get it on top of the large enclosure. It was hard I can tell you. :drool

Vivarium_80237.jpg

Vivarium_80238.jpg

Vivarium_80239.jpg

amon60628

5 Year Member
Wow you guys are doing an excellent job.U think ur boyfriend can give me any tips on how to build a proper terrarium?/ :-D

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Wow. You all are doing a great job with that enclosure :) . What is that white material you are using inside the enclosure or is it just white paint ?

isdrake

5 Year Member
Thanks for the comments. :) I will post more photos along the way, and off course then it's finished. :D

amon60628 said:
Wow you guys are doing an excellent job.U think ur boyfriend can give me any tips on how to build a proper terrarium?/ :-D

Haha, I'm afraid not. We are just a bunch of noobs, this is our first enclosures that we are building ourselves. :D

txrepgirl said:
Wow. You all are doing a great job with that enclosure :) . What is that white material you are using inside the enclosure or is it just white paint ?

I dunno what's it called in English. But it's an special paint that works as a moisture barrier. It's used in bathrooms.

I know it's probably unnecessary for a bearded dragon. But I wanted to be on the safe side, and besides, it makes the cleaning easier.

I'm a little concerned how we will make a good moisture barrier for the Tegus though. Since they burrow a lot and has big claws. The problem is that whole enclosure must able to break apart.

Pikey

5 Year Member
to make a water proof bottom for big lizards(w/ big claws) is to do that paint you're using then tile the floor & up the sides a foot or 2

isdrake

5 Year Member
Today I tried to make a fake rock. The goal is to make some sort of good looking background. But I'm starting small so that I will get used to the materials.

I'm pretty pleased with the result considering it's my first attempt. :D It's made of polyurethane resin, sand and paint.

Vivarium_80789.jpg

TEGUASAUROUS

5 Year Member
Pretty awesome rock I must say. Rocks are very hard to copy because they are so unique and individual, but it looks like a rock to me! There is a material out there called Boulder Image that is real fun to work with and its as strong as real concrete only its very light weight. I will be posting pics tonight of some, I built almost my kids entire enclosure out of it.

isdrake

5 Year Member
TEGUASAUROUS said:
Pretty awesome rock I must say. Rocks are very hard to copy because they are so unique and individual, but it looks like a rock to me! There is a material out there called Boulder Image that is real fun to work with and its as strong as real concrete only its very light weight. I will be posting pics tonight of some, I built almost my kids entire enclosure out of it.

That sound like an awesome materials. I would love to see some photos. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980