• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Building enclosure

isdrake

5 Year Member
I have been working on the bearded dragons background the whole weekend. I had to make it in three parts so that it can fit thru the opening.

It's made the background itself with styrofoam, the cliffs/shelfs in newspaper and then coated the whole thing with papier-machÃ?Æ?Ã?©. Don't underestimate paper. :D

Vivarium_82365.jpg

Vivarium_82366.jpg

Vivarium_82367.jpg

nemo66

5 Year Member
do you have like a link or something for making fake rocks like this? i would realy like to learn how to do it :D your enclosure looks amazing . good luck with the rest of it

isdrake

5 Year Member
nemo66 said:
do you have like a link or something for making fake rocks like this? i would realy like to learn how to do it :D your enclosure looks amazing . good luck with the rest of it

Thank you. I'm still very uncertain about making rocks. Feels like I have forgot how I made it. XD But i might make a video, a tutorial or something later if the background turns out okay.

I'm really exited about getting started with the resin. But my school is killing me (I don't know if you call it school if it's intended to educate grown ups). Hardly have anytime to work on the enclosure...

nemo66

5 Year Member
isdrake said:
nemo66 said:

Thank you. I'm still very uncertain about making rocks. Feels like I have forgot how I made it. XD But i might make a video, a tutorial or something later if the background turns out okay.

I'm really exited about getting started with the resin. But my school is killing me (I don't know if you call it school if it's intended to educate grown ups). Hardly have anytime to work on the enclosure...

a video or tutorial would be awesome. id really like to learn how to do it myself. i certainly hope you find time through all your school and stuff cuz im anticipating seeing how it all turns out :app

isdrake

5 Year Member
I have coated the whole thing with one layer of fiber glass now. It was a pain to work with. XD This is becoming expensive. I'm already out of polyurethane resin so I had to order more. I'm afraid it might take several weeks before I get it.

Anyway, it's a really hard surface even though it's only one layer. I stabbed it hard with a screwdriver sever times. :p

I will not use this method for the Tegu enclosure though. I can't afford it. I will have to try a more traditional approach (white styrofoam and cement).

And yeah, I managed to get that stuff on me several times. Really hard to get off. I can't get it off my nails. I will haver to wait until my nails have grown out. XD

bygge12_orig_SE.jpg

new2gu

nemo66 said:

here's a website that shows how to make fake rocks

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/</a><!-- m -->

kaa

5 Year Member
Looking fantastic isdrake, Whiskey is going to be in heaven. Any plans on getting him a friend?

isdrake

5 Year Member
kaa said:
Looking fantastic isdrake, Whiskey is going to be in heaven. Any plans on getting him a friend?

Thanks a lot. :) It's very tempting but we have decided not to get another one until we can afford a house. If they don't get along we don't have space for another large enclosure.

I realize that getting the second Tegu that past away wasn't such a great idea after all. We all know that Tegus can be pretty addictive. XD But I'm not taking that risk twice.

SjRrMc

that looks really cool for a dragon of that sort it. I wish i had the time to make that great job i give it a 10

ThrillHouse

looks awesome!

my tegu cage takes much longer than i would have liked. and is much more costly, but its worth it.

what did you settle on for background? papir machÃ?Æ?Ã?© and cement?

isdrake

5 Year Member
ThrillHouse said:
looks awesome!

my tegu cage takes much longer than i would have liked. and is much more costly, but its worth it.

what did you settle on for background? papir machÃ?Æ?Ã?© and cement?

Styrofoam and papier machÃ?Æ?Ã?© covered with fiber glass, polyurethane resin and some sand. I don't recommend it because it was very expensive and extremely hard to work with. But on the bright side it hard and solid. It will not break then we move it later.

isdrake

5 Year Member
Added ventilation and glass. On the long side we used 4mm sliding glasses and on the short side we used a plastic sheet which can't be opened. It's actually turning out real nice. When we sit on the couch we can see the whole enclosure though the plastic sheet. :D

Vivarium_84231.jpg

Vivarium_84232.jpg

Vivarium_84233.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980