• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Florida tegu ban

Vestathetegu

rats

5 Year Member
NOTE: I am not a legal professional so take my words with a grain of salt!

Here's the actual text of the proposed bill: http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2020/906/BillText/Filed/PDF

I didn't see anything that would grandfather tegus that were owned prior to this bill unless the owner had a permit for the tegu(s) already issued in 2010. In any event, a license/permit is required to be able to keep tegus as pets from July 1, 2020 (this bill was passed, correct? The version I linked to was before it passed).

They also mention the ability of the commission to inspect if the tegu is "securely, safely, and properly penned."

I hope you folks in Florida can get some clarification on this bill.... and what you need to do to keep your pets.

Boidae

Here's the actual text of the proposed bill: http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2020/906/BillText/Filed/PDF

I didn't see anything that would grandfather tegus that were owned prior to this bill unless the owner had a permit for the tegu(s) already issued in 2010. In any event, a license/permit is required to be able to keep tegus as pets from July 1, 2020 (this bill was passed, correct? The version I linked to was before it passed).

They also mention the ability of the commission to inspect if the tegu is "securely, safely, and properly penned."

I hope you folks in Florida can get some clarification on this bill.... and what you need to do to keep your pets.

You are correct, but USARK has posted before that the date will be changed to this year.

Vestathetegu

Thank you

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My love is for Florida.I believe that it should pass and it will. Argies will make it to the Tenessee border eating what shouldn't be eaten along the way. They are NOT at fault. We are.

Boidae

My love is for Florida.I believe that it should pass and it will. Argies will make it to the Tenessee border eating what shouldn't be eaten along the way. They are NOT at fault. We are.

Then you are part of the current problem we face.

TripleTegus

There's nothing wrong with wanting to preserve the ecosystem. As unfortunate as it is the tegus don't belong here and there's nothing to keep them in check. I do believe something needs to be done to help preserve the native species. I don't think banning people from owning them however is the right action, but I don't really have a solution myself.

Vestathetegu

I agree with you, but I don’t think banning tegu owners is the answer. There’s multiple ways to solve a problem. South Florida has a lot of people who own tegus and I believe they would panic over the ban and set them free in the wild, believing they will have a better chance of survival in the wild.

Vestathetegu

There's nothing wrong with wanting to preserve the ecosystem. As unfortunate as it is the tegus don't belong here and there's nothing to keep them in check. I do believe something needs to be done to help preserve the native species. I don't think banning people from owning them however is the right action, but I don't really have a solution myself.
I think owning them and trapping them should be encouraged. People get fined all the time for fishing without a license or hunting out of season, so why can’t they make stricter laws on releasing into the wild.

TripleTegus

I think owning them and trapping them should be encouraged. People get fined all the time for fishing without a license or hunting out of season, so why can’t they make stricter laws on releasing into the wild.
I don't disagree with you. But you would have to be caught in the act to be fined. And most people breaking the law try really hard to not be caught.

Vestathetegu

I don't disagree with you. But you would have to be caught in the act to be fined. And most people breaking the law try really hard to not be caught.
That’s true, but assuming they will be able to kill off an entire species won’t work either, especially because they burrow.

TripleTegus

That is very true. I think that's why we're in the place we are now. I don't think anyone really has a great plan to deal with the problem at hand. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a pessimist here but I think it's kinda to late.

Vestathetegu

That is very true. I think that's why we're in the place we are now. I don't think anyone really has a great plan to deal with the problem at hand. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a pessimist here but I think it's kinda to late.
Yeah I agree. There are tons of them already. Also, a lot of people who own multiple. I know a few people who have more than 10 tegus. I feel like most would be released into the wild, which will devastate the Everglades even more. I don’t see anything good happening out of this

TripleTegus

Yeah I agree. There are tons of them already. Also, a lot of people who own multiple. I know a few people who have more than 10 tegus. I feel like most would be released into the wild, which will devastate the Everglades even more. I don’t see anything good happening out of this
Yeah it's kind of a sad reality of the situation. We can only hope those with tegus understand that releasing them into the wild isn't good for the animal that has been raised in captivity or the wild animals that were already there.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Unfortunately my view is that the damage is already done and there is a substantial population of Tegus in the wild that can never be rectified.....And as always rules and regulations are being brought forward 20 years too late.

Nature will find its true balance in time...... Plus its part of life for species to live and die, although this is sad its being going on since the beginning of time and no matter what happens we can not save everything.

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Fortunately, the Everglades are safe from tegus in light of its hydrology. It's natural and disturbed upland habitats that are at risk.

mdeford09

Does anyone know where this currently stands?

This is just sad. I lived in south FL for nearly 21 years and I fully understand invasive species need to go. There is a lot of species thriving that shouldn't be there and it's wrecking things.

However, we need to stop banning everything. "The Land of Free" is more than just a name. It's not "The Land of the Free, Except What I Don't Like or Understand.". Every other day something else is banned because of those reasons. Literally just read a story about a 6 year old with down syndrome getting the police called on them, at school, for making finger guns in class (google "finger guns in class down syndrome"). Perfect example of how a "ban it all" attitude is just asinine harms more than it helps.

All banning Tegus does is make it so responsible owners won't have them anymore. Only the irresponsible owners, who don't mind breaking the law, will have them. And guess who releases their animals into the wild once they're bored of them?

If you want them gone, change public opinion about them(reptiles in general, really). Make more aware just how intelligent they are. Make people more aware that even wild caught specimens make great pets. Then, have more people like Rodney Irwin from TegusOnly.com out trapping them for resell as pets. Heck, Florida could even take some of the money made and put it straight into Florida's Wildlife management. (that could already happen, I am not aware how the license works). It won't get rid of them, I am sure. At this point, I doubt anything will. But, it will make a massive noticeable dent in their wild populations. A MUCH larger dent than banning them ever will. The number of people hunting with drop and their numbers will increase once banned.

Instead there are news segments telling people are scary and big they are and how you need to keep your cats and small dogs indoors, just in case. It's the first, and most likely the only, opinion many people make of them. So of course general public is going to be against them and want to make them illegal. All they see is a big scary mean reptile.

But, alas, posting this here is likely just preaching to the choir.

Vestathetegu

I agree with you 100 percent. Unfortunately they passed the ban through two houses already and it’s including the red tegus as well as any other “tegu” species. Also, the second ban added that no one is allowed to keep them even with a permit. I find it hard to believe that it’s passing with zero nay sayers, when the ban hasn’t passed for the last few years. Something doesn’t seem right. I suppose they expect the tegu owners to hand them over to get put down? I have family in another state that offered to take them, so that seems to be my only option if the ban passed :/

mdeford09

That is incredibly sad to hear.

It seems like laws aren't made with facts or intelligence in mind. They're made from knee jerk reactions by those with very little understanding of the problem they're trying to resolve. Like you said in one of your previous posts, if they ban them with permits too, many are just going to dump their Tegu into the wild. Which is the exact opposite of what is wanted.

If you live near Rodney, you should reach out to him and ask what he is doing. Last I heard, he is going to go speak in front of those who are voting. You should go too, if possible. The most I can do is keep supporting USARK and mail letters. But, I am out of state so my words likely don't matter much.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny