• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

For everyone who has a Jam x Whitey Baby hatched on June 29

Fork

5 Year Member
My Jam x Whitey is afraid of superworms!!! every time he see's them he goes running... i want him to try one because i know he'll love them, what should i do?

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Next feeding, give him a few freshly dead ones before you feed him anything else. Or, try some small meal worms?
Jango sucks down supers like candy. :drool

Fork

5 Year Member
Quijibo said:
Next feeding, give him a few freshly dead ones before you feed him anything else. Or, try some small meal worms?
Jango sucks down supers like candy. :drool

good idea :)

It's not an issue of consumption, he is literally scared of them. He jumped out of his feeding bin when i tried to feed him some today.

Quijibo

5 Year Member
So, has anyone been able to confirm that their male is indeed a male yet? I've been looking at pictures of spurs on some pretty young males and appearantly an enlarged scale starts to appear at a very young age. I have not been able to find anything that says at what age the scales start to become visible, but I found a post from Bobby that shows the scales, though barely visible, on a male under 2'.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3367&p=38764&hilit=spurs#p38764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... urs#p38764</a><!-- m -->

On Jango, I can't see anything that even looks like a spur, or even a slightly enlarged scale. I'm starting to get a little bummed. Even though Jango is beautiful and has a great disposition, I wanted a male.
:(

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
Fork said:
My Jam x Whitey is afraid of superworms!!! every time he see's them he goes running... i want him to try one because i know he'll love them, what should i do?

When I feed Bumblebee superworms, he eats a few then eyeballs one, grabs it, snaps it's neck or whatever it has and spits it out and leaves it. Then he repeats the process about 3 times. It's very bizarre

kaa

5 Year Member
Lol, I'm not sure if mine is from this litter. I pm'ed bobby, but he didn't reply, I figure he is pretty busy, but it's fine, I am really happy with my gu, regardless who the parents are.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Quijibo said:
So, has anyone been able to confirm that their male is indeed a male yet? I've been looking at pictures of spurs on some pretty young males and appearantly an enlarged scale starts to appear at a very young age. I have not been able to find anything that says at what age the scales start to become visible, but I found a post from Bobby that shows the scales, though barely visible, on a male under 2'.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3367&p=38764&hilit=spurs#p38764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... urs#p38764</a><!-- m -->

On Jango, I can't see anything that even looks like a spur, or even a slightly enlarged scale. I'm starting to get a little bummed. Even though Jango is beautiful and has a great disposition, I wanted a male.
:(

Same here i dont see anything im going to upload some pics later and see if bobby can tell or maybe there still just too young still also i remember reading somewere (cant remember were) that on younger male tegus you can feel a small bead like thing in there vent i do feel that but see no spurs

Quijibo

5 Year Member
I don't have enough experience with tegu's to know exactly where/what to feel for. If he was a monitor, I'd say he was a male based on the difference in the firmness and diameter of his tail where his hemipenes would be. I took a close up pic of the area where the enlarged scales usually are and I see nothing. But, I have yet to find any info on what age these scales are visible, only length. If most Tegu's reach 2' at 6 months, and the spurs appear at 6 months, than it's easy to say they show up at 2'. But what if the animal reaches 2' at 3 months? I still haven't found anyone with a gu as young as ours with spurs.
:?:

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Aye. That's what I've been trying to find out. Is it size, or age. No one seems to have an answer. Most just say size. But their answer is based on older Tegu's.
This has really gotten me curious. Since our Gu's are so big, we might know for sure in a few months if the spurs do show up, if it's size, or age.

Zilch

5 Year Member
I just spoke with Bobby last night and found out that my black and white is part of the family too!

I need to snap some new pictures of him, but here's what I have so far:
A couple days after I got him
tegu1.jpg

and him "smothering" my red last Thursday
IMG_0183.jpg

Zilch

5 Year Member
I just wanted to add another dimension to this thread, seeing as how I haven't seen it discussed yet.

Temperament! How is everyone's J&W's personality?
As for mine, the minute I opened the pillowcase he walked right out and climbed up my shirt and onto my shoulder to perch up there, it's been that way ever since. He's never hissed, whipped, nipped, or anything even remotely aggressive and is content to spend hours climbing on me, in my shirt, and my least favorite: using my ears as a ladder to get onto my head... so many little scratches on the scalp!

I take him around town with me when I'm running tegu related errands too, he's exposed to all sorts of different people, heck last night I took him to Home Depot tucked into my shirt to pick up a larger hood for my clamp lamp (MVB bulbs are HUGE), once my hands were full he decided it was time to emerge from the collar of my shirt. I got stuck there for a good extra 20 minutes as people stopped me to take camera phone pictures of him and curious kids gathered around to look at the lazy lizard on my shoulder.

I never imagined that a lizard could be so amazingly relaxed around people, especially at such a young age!

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
It seems that all the Jam/Whitey babies have great temperments. At least the ones that are posting. I am still nervous to take him out without a leash on. That may just be me and not him

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
Quijibo said:
Aye. That's what I've been trying to find out. Is it size, or age. No one seems to have an answer. Most just say size. But their answer is based on older Tegu's.
This has really gotten me curious. Since our Gu's are so big, we might know for sure in a few months if the spurs do show up, if it's size, or age.

we will see. I hope he doesnt hibernate. Its been awesome bonding with him. If they do hibernate, does the bonding process start over again or do you pick up where you left off? I know with the monitors I have kept, if they were left alone for 5 months or so I would have to be cautious and start over. then again, tegus are not monitors. If anybody has input on this that would be great

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Jango's been a peach since the day I got him at 4 weeks.
That being said, please, these are not jewelry. Many folks are frightened or just disgusted with reptiles, and this does nothing but stoke their resentment. There are many people who feel they should be banned and this can (and does) encourage them to act againt ownership. Many reptiles carry salmonella and everyone knows it. You may be the best at keeping your herp clean, but the person standing behind you in line at Home Depot (the one that has to use the stylus or money you lust touched) does not know this. There is a time and a place to take your herp out in public. For every 1 person who thinks it's neat, there are 10 peolple who think you and your lizard are offensive. And believe me, pet shops are no different. There are just as many people there that think they should be banned.
Sorry if this offends anyone, but, in my 40+ years of being a reptile enthusiast, I've noticed there are generally 2 camps of reptile owners, those who truly love their animals and herps in general, and those who only buy them because they think they are "Cool" and want to show them off to everyone. The "Cool" camps are the reason reptile bans are popping up everywhere. The "Cool" herps are the ones that end up neglected or dumped after their owners have shown them to all their freinds and the Coolness wear's off.

:rant

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Dvdh1 said:
I hope he doesnt hibernate.

I keep Jango in an area of my basement that has no outside light. I keep his(her?) temp/lighting constant so I doubt very much he will hibernate. He is still very active and eating like a pig. Normally, it takes shortening light cycles and slow average cooling to get herps to hibe. Some seem to key off of the shorter days, some the cooling temps. My guess is, it all depends on how cold tolerant the herp is. I've had toads that were still active well after the first frost.

Zilch

5 Year Member
Quijibo said:
Jango's been a peach since the day I got him at 4 weeks.
That being said, please, these are not jewelry. Many folks are frightened or just disgusted with reptiles, and this does nothing but stoke their resentment. There are many people who feel they should be banned and this can (and does) encourage them to act againt ownership. Many reptiles carry salmonella and everyone knows it. You may be the best at keeping your herp clean, but the person standing behind you in line at Home Depot (the one that has to use the stylus or money you lust touched) does not know this. There is a time and a place to take your herp out in public. For every 1 person who thinks it's neat, there are 10 peolple who think you and your lizard are offensive. And believe me, pet shops are no different. There are just as many people there that think they should be banned.
Sorry if this offends anyone, but, after 40+ years of being a reptile enthusiast, I've noticed there are generally 2 camps of reptile owners, those who truly love their animals and herps in general, and those who only buy them because they think they are "Cool" and want to show them off to everyone. The "Cool" camps are the reason reptile bans are popping up everywhere. The "Cool" herps are the ones that end up neglected or dumped after their owners have shown them to all their freinds and the Coolness wear's off.

:rant
Well for clarification, the Home Depot trip wasn't originally in the plan, I generally only take him (like I said) on tegu related errands, like to the local herp store that I purchase my feeders where I can talk with fellow reptile nuts. I also attempted to keep him concealed to avoid any issues, but with my hands full there wasn't much I could do to prevent him from squirming out.

I'm not among the reptiles as jewelry faction, I've been keeping reptiles since I was a child and it's always been due to my fascination, appreciation, and desire to learn about them. My friends all think my reptile obsession is weird... take that however you'd like :p

I'd also like to counter your point about people being "offended" by reptiles. There will always be people who don't understand or think that they are filthy creatures that should have never been introduced into this county... this belief is based on ignorance. These people are already set in their ways and already believe reptiles should be banned... by having one out in public I stand just as much of a chance of converting, or educating someone who is on the fence. I'm in no way advocating hauling a reptile around with you as some sort of accessory or attention grabber (I prefer to be left alone, personally), but education is the only way to combat ignorance, and I'm not willing to hide, or be ashamed of my animal in fear that some idiot is going to get riled up about it.

Lastly, as for the bacteria argument, I could make the same claim about touching the stylus after ANY human being touched it. God knows what their restroom etiquette is like.

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
I believe that in many cases animals are far cleaner than people. however, people have the voice to make the protest against things. I live in south Florida where the bill was just past two weeks ago banning the so called ROC, (reptiles of concern) which include anacondas, burmese, retics and amythistine pythons and nile monitors and a few others. In the news paper there were people saying its about time, we should ban all exotic animals coming into the country, etc, etc..... And my favorite was "while we are at it, can you get rid of the alligators too" so it doesnt matter if its an exotic or a native species. And im sure they dont care that by removing the alligator will mess up the ecosystem also. i dont think that would happen, however the seed is now planted.

Zilch

5 Year Member
Hey there Florida-buddy, I actually live in Lake Worth too! Florida is always going to be a hot-bed of anti-reptile sentiments, thanks to careless pet owners releasing their iguanas into the wild, and the resulting sensationalism on the news, combined with the amazing amount of ignorance of people in the southern part of this state. It's sad, and I do hope we don't land ourselves in a situation where more animals are added to the RoC list. Hopefully people have the good sense to not release their tegus into the wild =/

Quijibo

5 Year Member
There's a HUGE difference between educating where invited, and educating where you are not. To think you can "educate" a person when you weren't asked is, at the very least, arrogant, as is assuming that their fears are ignorence. Some people are terrified of reptiles, just like there are some that are terrified of heights. You have as good a chance convincing them they are OK as they have of convincing you they are not. Ignorence also implies that there is no evidence to back up a persons concerns. There is plenty of evidence to show that many of their concerns are well founded. As for the opinion that you can convert someone who is "on the fence", you have just as much of a chance of making that fence sitter an anti. There are many who just don't, and never will, care. We are the minority here. You have no constitutional "right" to own reptiles. Make yourself a nuisance, and those who don't share your passion for reptiles will make it illegal for you to own one. For many, the "idiot" is you. You may not care what others think, but I try to do my part to ensure that I, and my children, will be able to keep exotics in the future.

People have the right to dislike reptiles just as much as you have the right to enjoy them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi