• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how young

Bntegus

everybody here is making sense. im not trying to breed tegus at one year. i have always kept pairs together and sometimes 1.2 or 2.4 all close to same age and size i have 35 tegus and and have had a lot more so this happening twice is not like im in it for the money i could produce a lot of them and i will this year my albinos are breeding now so that is just going to start more problems but that is what they do is eat bask sleep and breed. i never asked my question to make people mad sorry if you people think im wrong for what has happen to me.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
/bubblz is correct, also i'd like to add naturboy your tegu purl is a giant they are able to carry eggs at 2 y/o, b/w's its 3 y/o, no matter how you want to spend it its dangerous to the tegu

Can you please explain where you came up with this information?

m3s4

Quote: "that is what they do eat bask sleep and breed"

Sounds like some people I know.

Most as a matter of fact.

Anyways, carry on.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:
reptastic said:
/bubblz is correct, also i'd like to add naturboy your tegu purl is a giant they are able to carry eggs at 2 y/o, b/w's its 3 y/o, no matter how you want to spend it its dangerous to the tegu

Can you please explain where you came up with this information?

I didn't come up with anything, this is from a conversation I had with bobby hill, the female extremes are larger than the female b/w's, his second generation giants 1st bred at 2 y/o while his b/w's at 3y/o, if you place a sexually matured male with a yearling female he will try to breed regardless of her age, if you put a yearling male with a yearling female that is less than likely to occur, it works on both sides male and female although some male b/w's may attempt to breed at 2 y/o

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I won't get into what I think of Bobby, but being that B&Ws and "Extremes" are the same species, it will depend on the individual animal on whether the female will be larger or not.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thats still up for debate, no one has proved it one way or another, i still respect bobby hill so i still seek his advice as a breeder

Bntegus

see you just dont get it. i never put a 4 year old male with her. the male and female where around the same age. so all the people that gave me there 2 cents just assumed what they wanted to never even asked anything just assumed i was new to this and never even tried to help if i needed any thanks for all the help.

Compnerd7

MadameButterfly said:
Compnerd7 said:
A female human can have a child at age 14, that doesn't mean physically or mentally she should. Any responsible parent would not let their 14 year old daughter live in the same house unattended with a bunch of guys. Hormones would end up getting the best of her, ending up in a bad situation.

To be honest that is offensive to 14 year old girls and to guys of any age in general too, you may as well just be saying that any 14 year old girl is hormonally charged and any guy is sexually predator so sex is inevitable. Thats such a horrible stereotype to engender and populate. Cop on! everyone has a choice and in my experience most 14 year olds aren't sex magnets and most men aren't sick enough to try lay a child underage anyway. Next time you make an example try make it less of a stereotype where you tar half the planet with the same brush just because it is something you believe to be true

I apologize If I offended you, as I was writing that example It was hard to word in a way that was delicate, I was only trying to make metaphor between Human and Reptiles at sexual maturity. I said " A female human can have a child at age 14, that doesn't mean physically or mentally she should. " I wasn't implying or suggesting that " any 14 year old girl is hormonally charged and any guy is sexually predator so sex is inevitable. " by using words like "can" and "should", it leaves the personal views out. I never said anything about a man having an illegal encounter with an under age girl, I said "guy" or should have said "male", and it's you saying that they are over age sexual predators, not me. We all know hormones run high when you are a teenager, that's a fact. It can cloud better judgement. I should have said Hormones "could" not "would" get the best of her.

Please realize I was using a metaphor (a literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible object to represent a less tangible object or some intangible quality) between Humans and Tegus. Ovbiously there are huge difference between human reproduction and Reptiles, that being emotions, culture differences, a much more complex courtship and society. Of course everyone has the right of choice, I was not using a stereotype, I was using an example; a scientific cross reference between human sexual maturity being early in life before the human is fully grown, and a Tegus sexual maturity being early in life, before it is fully grown.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
thats still up for debate, no one has proved it one way or another, i still respect bobby hill so i still seek his advice as a breeder

So if I have a 3' 2 yr old Extreme, she is ok to breed, but a 3' 2 yr old B & W is not ok to breed? I don't get the logic in this situation.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:
reptastic said:

So if I have a 3' 2 yr old Extreme, she is ok to breed, but a 3' 2 yr old B & W is not ok to breed? I don't get the logic in this situation.

Well a 2 y/o female giant shouldnt be 3', im sure there are some that may be smaller but i couldnt imagine that small unless they hibernated a long time in that case its best to wait til their older i never said ALL female giants can breed at 2 y/o,but a majority of them are large enough and their bodies can handle it(both of bobbys female extremes bred at 2 y/o), husbandry plays a key role, my female b/w is pushing 2 y/o she'S 44" BUT i wouldnt breed her, every will have different opinions i just stick with the experts

Dana C

Riplee said:
I would love to see the picture of 35 tegus~~~:)

I would love to photos of your set up and the 35 Tegus. Are they all tame? I assume they are all imports with the exception of the Albinos. How long has it taken you to get that large a collection? Thirty five is a lot of mouths to feed.
Just out of curiosity, why join a Tegu forum now when you have 35 of them.
I really am not trying nosy but curious

Wil

5 Year Member
Bntegus said:
everybody here is making sense. im not trying to breed tegus at one year. i have always kept pairs together and sometimes 1.2 or 2.4 all close to same age and size i have 35 tegus and and have had a lot more so this happening twice is not like im in it for the money i could produce a lot of them and i will this year my albinos are breeding now so that is just going to start more problems but that is what they do is eat bask sleep and breed. i never asked my question to make people mad sorry if you people think im wrong for what has happen to me.

How many albinos do you have? How old are they?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Reptastic, exactly how many tegu breeding episodes have you seen in the wild? How many tegus have YOU bred? Is there any proof whatsoever that extremes are a separate species than B&Ws? Since black and whites are supposed to reach a smaller size than extremes according to Bobby, then would they not be able to breed at the same age since they are the same size relative to their adult size? Then again, we've all seen examples of Bobby's reliability and trustworthiness. Also, tegus aren't "mentally" ready or not ready to lay eggs, as they don't raise their young. They rely off of instinct on how and where to lay and simply have to be large enough to lay the eggs, so there goes that argument. Comparing tegus to 14 year olds girls on the subject of pregnancy really isn't a fair thing, although guess what, some people do have kids at 14-18 hence shows like Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant. It's based off size and sexual maturity, and in reality neither of those are based off of age, but rather hormones in the body that come along with that growth and size.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
35 tegus? and albinos? i would like to see that too. haha you guys need to take chill pill. id hate to see people leave because of a post. im not taking any sides but everyone is getting too hot and bothered over this. o and heres a new question. can you tell if a female has been breed before? i think my female is around 2 or 3 years old. but guessing from the situation she was in it would be difficult to judge her age and how she developed aside from the missing stuff

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TegusRawsome80 said:
Reptastic, exactly how many tegu breeding episodes have you seen in the wild? How many tegus have YOU bred? Is there any proof whatsoever that extremes are a separate species than B&Ws? Since black and whites are supposed to reach a smaller size than extremes according to Bobby, then would they not be able to breed at the same age since they are the same size relative to their adult size? Then again, we've all seen examples of Bobby's reliability and trustworthiness. Also, tegus aren't "mentally" ready or not ready to lay eggs, as they don't raise their young. They rely off of instinct on how and where to lay and simply have to be large enough to lay the eggs, so there goes that argument. Comparing tegus to 14 year olds girls on the subject of pregnancy really isn't a fair thing, although guess what, some people do have kids at 14-18 hence shows like Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant. It's based off size and sexual maturity, and in reality neither of those are based off of age, but rather hormones in the body that come along with that growth and size.

Are you serious? I don't have to breed tegus to know that a tegu at 1 y/o shouldn't breed, I have raised several tegus and I know at 1 y\o most even at 2 y/o shouldn't be bred under any circumstance, people always try to discredit bobby hill over his extemes how ever just looking at an extreme and a b/w their physical presence is totally different, the same with blues I don't hear this argument with the blues often, its the the same with dogs a chihuahua and a bull mastiff are still both vlassified as canis lupus but clearly they are very different, same with giants blues and b/w tegus, its just amazing how you guys jump on this guy for handling a bad season wrong but before that you all were happy customers and I still don't see how his bad season effected most of you

Bntegus

i have stayed of forms because of this kind of stuff i have been looking on here for awhile and i think its time more people come on here and stand up thank you james. i under stand a lot of people here have there tegu pets that is just fine i have some that i have had for 13 years. but dont jump all over me becuase i have done things a little diff then some other breeders or pet owners.
1.3albinos
4.12blues
3.3bw
2.3reds
and hets and lots of eggs

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
On the subject of others standing up, I don't know for what but, BnTegus an introduction would be nice and pics of your group like others have requested.

Bntegus

thats pretty funny is that why we are here. so if i put up pics of some or all of my tegus and what i have done it will make no difference. i never came on here to show off what i have. i just asked a question and look what it has turned in to. i will post some pics in the picture place on this form.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi