• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

lost tegu :( hellppp

cote.emma

Yeah it wasnt exactly a happy ending, but we will definately wont be letting our next tegu escape from us, we will be extra protective to our new baby, I would love to put pictures up so you all can see him, but I dont know how!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
if you click new reply you can see a red bar below the typing box that says attachments. from there you click the browse button next to "new attachment" and select the picture you want to upload. after that you can click update or add attachment and then it will reload the page, scroll back down to attachments and click insert into post or whatever that option is and it will stick it right in there for you.

im not sure what the difference between add attachment and update attachment are but they both work for me lol. i hope it works for you. as others have said hes up in herp heaven eating his little heart out

Biascochea

I am definitely starting to know what you went through. Mine just disappeared today. I've been tearing through the whole house, close to freaking out looking for him. can't find him anywhere, and I've looked in every nook and cranny I can think of...:(

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Biascochea said:
I am definitely starting to know what you went through. Mine just disappeared today. I've been tearing through the whole house, close to freaking out looking for him. can't find him anywhere, and I've looked in every nook and cranny I can think of...:(

How did he get out?

Biascochea

I put him into the tub to soak, turned my back for a minute to answer the phone and he just disappeared. I know that he can't get out of the house, this place has no air-vents, holes, etc...and we're on the second floor. He can't have gotten out the front door or anything since there is basically an airlock on the first floor. Guess it;s just a waiting game.
I set up a heat lamp and his hide. hopefully he doesn't decide to go to sleep for a week in a cupboard or something. :-(

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How did he get out of the tub? I leave mine in the tub all the time and he can't get out, and he's 30" long.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Try putting some food out tomorrow, something like eggs or fish or something with a pungent smell. Look for tegu poops too. Have you checked places like behind the fridge, under the dishwasher, behind the washer/dryer? I don't want to make you feel any worse but thats exactly the reason why you can't leave them unattended, it only takes a minute and they're gone. If you can, I'd try to up the temps in the house/apt whatever, try to keep it as close to 70* as you can if not a little above. It'll help to keep him warm while hes out.

My male can climb out of the tub, hes 10ish months old. I didn't think he could and one day he just let himself out. He's like 3.5 ft though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7sjoQm8Bdw&feature=channel_video_title

herpgirl2510

When I first put let my tegu in the bathroom I did not notice where they plumbed the tub there was a small hole. He wiggled in there I could hear him but could not get to him. I set up a basking bulb and 5 nail biting minutes later he came out of the wall.. I would set up basking areas in each room they will searc out the heat.

Biascochea

yeah, now I know I can never let my eyes off of him. :-(
@James: the tub has one side that isn't completely vertical. I've watched him try to climb up it, but he just wiggles at the bottom of it and can't get traction, so I'd didn't worry. He must have run from the opposite side of the tub and flung himself up it or something.
I'll definitely put out some egg today and set up another basking spot. There are no cracks or holes along any part of the bathroom or plumbing, so I'm thinking he is in one of the other rooms in the house. We don't have a washer/dryer or dishwasher in this apartment (NY) so he can't be under any of those. Also, I have looked under/inside the oven (he ran there once) and fridge, but no luck...
I can only turn on the heat when the landlady below us is giving heat, so just have to hope the weather stays warm. however, the good news about that is there are no vents or holes in the house for him to crawl into.
I'm just hoping he comes walking out one of these days or moves to a hiding place I can find!

Biascochea

So, I put out his basking light and a boiled egg (cut up) this morning before I headed out for work interviews. When I got back, my wife was in the kitchen and she told me to watch where I step because my missing tegu had pooped in the hallway. the poop wasn't there 15 minutes earlier when she walked into the kitchen, so I knew he had to be nearby. I started by searching the kitchen and immediately found Shadow chilling behind the fridge (which had been checked numerous times already) :)
So glad to have him back. He is now safely locked in his home and I am much more relaxed!

Biascochea

No, no more unsupervised bathing. though, if he were 3-1/2 feet long he wouldn't have had anywhere to hide in the house. lol

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yay! Glad you found him! lol yeah there aren't many places for the larger guys to hide

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980