• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

lost tegu :( hellppp

cote.emma

so today me and my boyfriend had our few month old tegu in the kitchen and we were feeding him, after he was done he just darted and ran into a hole in one of the cabinets, he has been in there for a few hours now and he hasnt come out. we can hear him move around in there every once in a while so we know he is still in there. i have tried everything i can think of, i have put a basking light right outside the hole and i have put various food out (crickets, fruit, ground turkey, soft-boiled egg, and my boyfriend is picking up liver on his way home from work). nothing seems to be working, so if you have any new suggestions please HELP!!!

i also would like to know how long he can live in there, i can imagine it is pretty dusty and cold.

montana

Put the light further away but so he can still see it ..

Then just wait him out [up to 48 hours]..

Let him [come to you ]..

WildlifeLover429

This happened to me a couple years ago with my b&w. I was in the tub with him trying to gain his trust because he wasnt that friendly and all of a sudden he jumps out of the tub! Freaks out and dashes into a hole in one of the cabinets. Its like he knew it was there all along (i sure didnt!). Anyway it took forever for him to get out. What i did was put food a distance a way from where he was because I knew if I were to get him again I would need him to be away from that hole for my advantage. Then I left my bathroom with the door closed but layed at the foot of the door waiting for him. Eventualy he got curious and hungry (like Tegus do) and I was able to catch him when he was eating. So don't worry he will get hungry and the only way out of there is were him came from. You just need to be patient and quiet (make him believe you are not there). Dont sit in front of the hole he can probably see you from there and hes scared to come out. Eventually he should come out.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Depending on where you are and how the weather is keep the light out. Block off any other areas you don't want it to go including doors to other rooms. Since you know where it is try and keep it in that area.

It had a meal before going into hiding so the wait may take a couple of days before it gets hungry enough to come back out. Make sure it can't get under the stove, refrigerator or anything else in that area.

On the other hand once again depending on the weather and where you are. Since it just ate it will need to seek heat even more to help digest it's food. So you can keep the light on or turn it off for a few hours. Give it time to get cold and want to look for a warmer place.

cote.emma

Thank you sooo much it is so reassuring to hear that you successfully got him out!! it makes me feel so much better.

Thanks, I will turn the light off for a while and turn it on a little later, im crossing my fingers!

WildlifeLover429

You don't hear him moving around anymore? he could be asleep... I suggest doing what Bubblz Calhoun said, block off any area you dont want your baby getting into, put the heat some where he would have to walk to. Im not sure if this would work but it never hurts to try! you could try putting his hide out there (since its familiar he might prefer hiding in that better than the cabinet) or take a cat litter box or something like it, fill it with some of his bedding cut one side to make it short enough he can get into, he may come out and burrow himself into it. Than in the morning or a couple hours later check to see if anything worked. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK! :(

cote.emma

No I cant hear him anymore, and I have definately thought about cutting open the cabinet. Ill keep on waiting and try a couple other things first before I do that lol.

entropy

Heh, I lost my Tegu through a hole in the wall TWICE when he was a baby. The first time it took him about 3 days to come out. The 2nd time it took 6 days (he was in hibernation mode and just slept in there). I had just about given up the second time when he just meandered out of the hole into the living room one day and looked at me as if nothing had happened.

Don't lose hope, they are silly animals sometimes. I used the same methods the others used above (light outside, food, etc). My boyfriend used a squirrel trap to get his when he was in a hole in the wall for about a week. It worked pretty well.

cote.emma

He is still in there! We couldnt even get him out by making a hole in the cabinet! This is so frustrating!! Hopefull he gets hungry today and decides to come out. I think we might try a squirrel trap. I havent lost hope but we had to take out the dishwasher to get closer to him, hopefully he comes out soon, the dishes are piling up!

entropy

Try not to worry too much... this happens a lot with baby Tegus. Just be patient... and try not to tear your apartment up anymore than you feel you have too ^_^

cote.emma

Still no luck, the little guy even came out and grabbed the food and dragged it back into his spot when we werent looking! we even cut more holes and poked around in there with a hanger but we couldnt feel him, im starting to think he isnt there anymore so I think we are going to buy a trap and wait till he gets hungry again.

Kebechet

I would just leave the poor thing alone :/ he's probably scared, and will come out when he feels safe. Loud noises from taking apart the cupboard, being poked with things and everything is just going to make him that much more frightened of coming out of his "safe" spot. He'll come out, and he'll be fine. Mine wanders behind the fridge sometimes, naps for a few hours, and then wanders out. Building trust with your tegu goes both ways. However once he does come back out, I would patch up any other cabinet holes, or openings into the wall. Check in places like by your bathtub, under your sink, etc.

WildlifeLover429

I agree with Kebechet let the little guy be for a bit, keep things nice an quiet and an ear out for any scratching noises. He could be any where now. I bet if you keep the basking light out in the open some where you might find the little just enjoying the heat :) . if you have any animals that walk around your house keep them in a safe area until you have found him. Dont give up, he will show up soon ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980