• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Red Tegu Owner Seeking Advice

Kappasam

Hello everyone, Im super happy to be here with the most recent addition to my family, our baby Argentine Red Tegu!! I just wanted to ask some basic questions to more experienced owners to make sure I am doing everything in my power to give my lizard friend the best quality of life I can. The store I got from said they were feeding once a day but they didn't tell me how much they were feeding him so I was wondering how much/ how long does everyone feed their babies and what their diets might look like so I can help replicate that. I already have crickets, superworms and some pinky mice, I just dont want to over or underfeed!

Stellalife1

Hello everyone, Im super happy to be here with the most recent addition to my family, our baby Argentine Red Tegu!! I just wanted to ask some basic questions to more experienced owners to make sure I am doing everything in my power to give my lizard friend the best quality of life I can. The store I got from said they were feeding once a day but they didn't tell me how much they were feeding him so I was wondering how much/ how long does everyone feed their babies and what their diets might look like so I can help replicate that. I already have crickets, superworms and some pinky mice, I just dont want to over or underfeed!
What are you using for substrate? Ground raw turkey with calcium powder. vitamin D powder added every 3rd day , dubias roaches You will notice the line of skin going along his side, feed until that line is gone (filled up) you can add as he gets older but every breeder I know starts with ground turkey. It's hard for me to tell how big he/she is. Alot of people make a mash to sneak in veggies. Use a food processor or meat grinder to puree turkey, talapia, salmon, green beans, sweet potatoes, baby greens minus the spinach, mango, guava, kiwi...there are lists of food you can find on the web. Also Rose City Reptiles has a ton of good info on youtube! Alot of people use 1/3 topsoil, 1/3 peat moss & 1/3 play sand. Or coconut chips & coconut core. Easy to spot clean & you don't get that earthy dirt smell plus your young tegu won't get a mouthful while chasing his food. Tong feeding is a great way to build trust & put a well worn non washed t shirt of yours in its hide. That will get him used to you scent. I always tap on the food dish when I'm going to feed. No tapping, no food! Make it a point to move things around in the enclosure daily other than just feeding so he will realize you aren't going to eat him. Always scoop him up from the side. Grabbing from the top is very predatory. Talk to him alot without looking at him or just sit in an empty bathtub with him & go on your phone & ignore him so he can check you out. This can also be done in a small room that he cannot escape. Hope this helps!! Good luck with your new baby!! :)

ScaryAnimal1961

Our Scary Animal likes ground Turkey but loves chicken livers. We have to cut them small enough for him to swallow. The advantage with the Turkey is that we can mix greens or fruit in with the meat and he doesn't notice. He is not a fan of fruit or vegetables.

Stellalife1

Our Scary Animal likes ground Turkey but loves chicken livers. We have to cut them small enough for him to swallow. The advantage with the Turkey is that we can mix greens or fruit in with the meat and he doesn't notice. He is not a fan of fruit or vegetables.
Just be careful to cut out any stringy parts of the liver that stringy part in liver, chicken gizzards can cause blockages. I tend to put everything thru a processor & mix with my hand to make sure I didn't miss any of those senue 'string peices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980