• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu bites

iiLOVExTEGUS

Ok well when he opens his mouth an turns to bite me I just put him back before he can so by doing that am I showing him that when he does that he will get his way

Murkve

iiLOVExTEGUS said:
Ok well when he opens his mouth an turns to bite me I just put him back before he can so by doing that am I showing him that when he does that he will get his way

Yes. You are.

iiLOVExTEGUS

Ok then starting Saturday I'm goin to dive in head first an I guess he will just have to bite me an see what happens even though I hope he doesn't but if and when I get bit I'll take tons of pics for everyone

Murkve

iiLOVExTEGUS said:
Ok then starting Saturday I'm goin to dive in head first an I guess he will just have to bite me an see what happens even though I hope he doesn't but if and when I get bit I'll take tons of pics for everyone

You might try first sectioning off a part of a room and making a pen of sorts.

Secure the Tegu in a pillowcase or box or some such. The key here being not to come after it as a predator would, but rather to let it decide to go into a container so that you may move it without the added stress.

Sit in the pen, and release your Tegu while you sit and ignore it. Read a book, iPad, 3DS, whatever - just let your Tegu explore. Keep a watchful eye so that it doesn't escape or hurt itself, but otherwise let it do its thing. Eventually it will come to you, and you may reward it with a small bit of food offered from tongs. Do this once every other/third day at first, then gradually increase as your animal becomes more comfortable with you.

The food is key. You want your Tegu to associate you with good things, like outside time and food.

chitodadon said:
Question when he bites cant he take my finger off

Not likely. Besides, why would you ever put a solo finger in front of your Tegu's mouth? That's the only way I could ever see that happening.

iiLOVExTEGUS

Well when I almost got tagged was when I was holding him he turned his head a lot further then I expected and he almost got my pointer finger

tresh

Our big guy decided tonight to attack feet...he got my husband pretty good, punctures on both sides of the foot, through a pretty thick wool sock. My husband just got too close to a tegu and his food and paid the price for that.

[attachment=6296]

Attachments

• 408491_10200303136851412_291905344_n.jpg
    408491_10200303136851412_291905344_n.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 14
Just got bit real good by my adult male bw Argentine. It hurts like hell and I got antibiotics. My tegu is 3 years old my advise is to always be careful no matter how tame you think they are. Tegus can get grumpy at any time. My mistake was trying to clean up a poop w his food bowl couldn't reach my scooper at the time. I broke the rules however simple and I got bit, he was going for the bowl and got me. He held on but did not shake or roll or it would have been very bad. Learn your tegus habits before long you will have a routine stick to it and you will be fine.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
An adult tegu could take off a finger. So those of you that think you should just let them bite and keep doing what you are doing, I hope you have a career you can do with missing fingers.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah I'm with James on this one. I think Guru can easily take off fingers.

iiLOVExTEGUS

Yea umm not looking forward to that but I have hard my lil guy since january 6 th and I have only given him contact 4 times beacause he hides all day an comes out at night

bfb345

my red baby has never tried to bite me but he does the classic whip he doesnt even hiss just gives you a smack then when you grab him hes fine lol i guess hes not really a baby either about a year or so lol but kinda small due to hibernation but i had a columbian who jumped up about 3 feet and grabbed me and did not let go and i bled good lol

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
[attachment=6304]Put on your big boy pants and chest wig and go into the cage in a calm assertive manner like Cesar Milan does with dogs. Let him know you are the boss. Chuck Norris isn't afraid of alligators, so you should be able to handle a 6 month old tegu. Don't be such a wussie. My tegu never whips, hisses, or bites because I always have had my hands in the cage doing things besides feeding. Try to be more like Chuck Norris. That goes for you too, Chitodadon.

Attachments

• invasion-usa-chuck-norris-alligator.jpg
    invasion-usa-chuck-norris-alligator.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 11

bfb345

Dubya said:
Put on your big boy pants and chest wig and go into the cage in a calm assertive manner like Cesar Milan does with dogs. Let him know you are the boss. Chuck Norris isn't afraid of alligators, so you should be able to handle a 6 month old tegu. Don't be such a wussie. My tegu never whips, hisses, or bites because I always have had my hands in the cage doing things besides feeding. Try to be more like Chuck Norris. That goes for you too, Chitodadon.

lol thats funny haha

TeguBlake

mine bit me 4 times when i first got him, but he is 5 months old now and never complains about alittle human time. guess it varies from tegus?...

iiLOVExTEGUS

Dubya said:
Put on your big boy pants and chest wig and go into the cage in a calm assertive manner like Cesar Milan does with dogs. Let him know you are the boss. Chuck Norris isn't afraid of alligators, so you should be able to handle a 6 month old tegu. Don't be such a wussie. My tegu never whips, hisses, or bites because I always have had my hands in the cage doing things besides feeding. Try to be more like Chuck Norris. That goes for you too, Chitodadon.

I got my big boy pants on but not only does he hiss whip and bite he is in his hide all day an I was told NEVER EVER EVER take a tegu from it's hide

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
iiLOVExTEGUS said:
Dubya said:

I got my big boy pants on but not only does he hiss whip and bite he is in his hide all day an I was told NEVER EVER EVER take a tegu from it's hide

I said chest wig too. Maybe your light and temps are not right. He may want to hibernate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029