• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu bites

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I wouldn't say it wouldn't happen in America. I'd say it could happen to anyone who doesn't properly treat a bite from an animal.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
BatGirl1 said:
My ball python hooked me with a fang when I was assist feeding her...is it normal for my hand to be green and black after 2 weeks? Maybe I should have washed my hands after. Sorry... was that mean? *dubya, this is your fault* ... :/

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

I have been hearing "It's all Dubya's fault" for the past 4 years. Maybe taking some personal responsibility is in order. I guess I'll be hearing it for another 4 years. (Sigh)

tegus4life

Hahahaha that's so true Dubya...
But I'm sure it could happen to anyone who doesn't properly treat the bite, in America or not. I'm lucky enough that I haven't been bitten yet but I'm sure my time will come someday. And when it does, it'll all be dubya's fault ;)

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I voted for him...haha. there.it's actually all MY fault ;p

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
BatGirl1 said:
I voted for him...haha. there.it's actually all MY fault ;p

Did I just waste good sarcasm on you?

Renske

5 Year Member
jondancer said:
Renske said:
Roadkill said:
I've been bit by tegus more times than I can remember, and in more ways than most would be comfortable with. Feet and toes mostly (they really seem to have a thing for the smell of feet), quite a few fingers, a couple on the calves, and even a few on the face. A big male caught me by surprise once and due to the size of his gape, and what I was doing, I was cut up pretty good from the bridge of my nose to my chin. As for them removing a finger, I would guess it is possible but highly unlikely. In Brasil a large female latched onto the middle finger of my left hand and then death-rolled, trying to spin it off. I got a bunch of nasty lacerations corkscrewing down the finger but was nowhere near losing the finger, didn't even get stitches. In the lab a male latched onto my thumb, and due to the circumstances, I was in no position to do anything but let him try to eat it. He sure chewed on it hard, it indeed hurt a lot, but I again would say there was no danger in actually losing the digit. I've been chewed on by much larger reptiles, gators and turtles, and although I won't claim to be an expert on being bit, tegus really don't have as much power as many would like to think. Definitely with a very large tegu and a fortuitous clamp down with the teeth between the knuckle-bones there's a chance of losing a digit, but I doubt it is a high risk. More painful than dangerous, in my opinion.

I almost died of a infection of a baby tegu bite. So there is always a risk. My dokter told me I sould never let me bite anymore becouse there is always a risk with animal bites...
My story is somewhere in this topic.

That most likely wouldn't happen in America.

Why not? The desease I got is not a commen one in europe... It came from america. My tegu was imported from america to germany. I bought it in germany and brought it home.. Then I noticed he did not do very well... I got bitten while trying to feed it. It did not want to eat. I got ill and after I came back from the hospital they did some test on the tegu. They told me he had rat bite feaver like me... They never seen a person with this rat bite feaver bevore in the netherlands. In america 1 of 10 people die of this fever. They had contact with people in america about it becouse we have never had this in the netherlands.
Our healt care is extreemly good. No one have to pay for it and we have realy good education for it. So it could happen everywhere... Its a very deadly fever. Even with treatment like I had you can die of it.

TeguBlake

Uhhh..... yesterday... my little guy Grabed my ear and played tug of war with me..... i didnt get any picturs because i quickly cleaned it up.... lol

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Now you can wear gauges! What a smart pet you have! I wonder if mine would pierce my lip for me... hmmmmm. *rubs quail innards on her lip*

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry but when I look at the thread title it sounds like a snack...haha. "tegu bites! From the makers of bagel bites. Scrumptious little balls of tegu, seasoned just right. Then lightly breaded so you can just pop them in the oven and into your mouth! Great as a snack or on the go! " heh heh... * not available from october til march, unless columbian* :)

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
BatGirl1 said:
I'm sorry but when I look at the thread title it sounds like a snack...haha. "tegu bites! From the makers of bagel bites. Scrumptious little balls of tegu, seasoned just right. Then lightly breaded so you can just pop them in the oven and into your mouth! Great as a snack or on the go! " heh heh... * not available from october til march, unless columbian* :)

HAHAHA! I was just thinking of that! Tegu bites. Cooked just right! Add a side of McCain smiles!

tegus4life

Ahahaha as long as there are microwave instructions for lazy people it's sure to be a hit!!!! McCain smiles sounds like something McDonalds could serve.. Haha ew!

tresh

I've actually had someone ask me before if tegus are edible.

Considering how fat and lazy my lizards are, I doubt they'd be good eating. But I can totally see someone selling tegu-tail skewers somewhere.

Deac77

5 Year Member
tresh said:
I've actually had someone ask me before if tegus are edible.

Considering how fat and lazy my lizards are, I doubt they'd be good eating. But I can totally see someone selling tegu-tail skewers somewhere.

They eat tegu in South America (Columbia for sure) I have a friend that was born and raised there when she saw Kirby she said "I've eaten one of him" lol

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Their feet I think could make cool earrings...and pendants.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
God no...see, I meant if already dead...haha. I'm the one who built a co2 chamber to gas mice before freezing them, remember? Haha...

When I had 4 baby squirrels before...loooonnnnng ago... and in time they died... I tried to cut off and dry their tails but after awhile the fur started falling off.they looked NASTY. A taxidermist I am not. :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029