• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Pacing Concern

div129

so ive had this 2 foot tegu for 3 days now and he is doing great. he would walk into my hand and eat out of it too now. although, i am concerned about his pacing and scratching on the glass. he does this every night, starting at around 7 (wont stop doing it even after his lights are out). is this normal for a new tegu? he eats a lot. he usually wakes up at around 12 and sleeps again after a small snack. then comes back out at 4/5, climbs up on me, eat some more. then i put him back. every time after i put him back he starts pacing, when i open the cage it stops and he licks and observes me for a while. i usually sit beside the cage. when i go back to my room though, he starts pacing again non stop. is this a concern or is this normal for new tegus? the cage is two times his size, im currently building a bigger one (the seller posted when he was a bit smaller so thought this cage would last a bit longer than it did).

rantology

I've seen my 6-8month old do that when he's hungry or looking for a spot to poop (lol). He could just be trying to explore the new environment, as long as he's not hurting himself with nose rub or something I would say leave him be and keep an eye on it and keep double checking your temps and humidity to make sure it's comfortable for em. Make sure he has a hide that he can go and feel secure in too.

Also I personally would try not to associate your hand with biting for food, you may want to try target training with a pair of tongs.

div129

I've seen my 6-8month old do that when he's hungry or looking for a spot to poop (lol). He could just be trying to explore the new environment, as long as he's not hurting himself with nose rub or something I would say leave him be and keep an eye on it and keep double checking your temps and humidity to make sure it's comfortable for em. Make sure he has a hide that he can go and feel secure in too.

Also I personally would try not to associate your hand with biting for food, you may want to try target training with a pair of tongs.
hes mostly fed with tongs but ive done it once or twice. when hes full he still does it, he has a large hide too where he sleeps at night (after hes finish with the pacing). i was just worried something might be stressing him out.

Dylan koch

My tegus do the scratching and digging thing when they know its feeding time or want to come out. He probably wants to come out is all. It's his way of saying hey let me out. His old owner probably had him out alot. And a tegu that size should at minimum have a enclosures 6ft by 2 feet wide

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Like Rantology said, make sure your temps are where they should be, and that you also have a basking spot that for a 2ft long young-ish Tegu should prob be somewhere around 110dg. That heat calms them down some, helps them process their food. But Godzilla is right too - it's only been 3 days. My female did this for quite some time while she was young like yours. Now she's used to the routine. They are definitely routine lovers. ...unfortunately!! I'm not a routine animal, so it's hard for me. o_O:tegu:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980