• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

This has been the longest four months.

Dubya said:
chitodadon said:
Godzilla hunger is building up good

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Well, feed him then. He did get kind of skinny. But from the pics his tail is still sort of fat.

psychocircus91 said:
How long is too long for them to not eat? Or is there really no concern at all? It's been a week for me so far and this is my first tegu (17 months old)

As I told Batgirl1, try some raw egg yolk and maybe add a little Ox-Bow Carnivore Care to it. It should give a little jump start.

Thanks for the tip. I tried some raw egg yolk a couple days ago and he did lick it a little. Can you usually pick up that oxbow carnivore care at big name pet stores?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is usually a vet sold product but may be found at pet boutique pet pantry type stores. I don't care for the carb content of it, but that's just me. If I can avoid it, I will. I'd rather go for pinkies dipped in egg yolk first...then brained pinkies.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
You can get it online. Do a google product search. Price varies greatly. It has extra carbs to give sick animals some more energy.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I tried a hopper cut in half dipped in yolk. Niles licked it but was uninterested in eating the mouse. It was nasty, i don't blame him. Haha. But I'll get some to try because it may be good as dubya said to kick start appetite and in case my other reptiles should need some ( i have a very old cuban knights anole who may benefit from it).

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles ate all of his chicken today! It didn't even have yolk on it! :)

And I've been holding him almost every day (so he won't be stressed) and today he fell asleep on my arm when I was scratching his cheeks, 'ears', and under his chin. Mmmm <3 my niles is getting back to normal ;)

Diablo

5 Year Member
Has anyone ever had a problem getting a tegu fully out of hibernation? It seems like Yoshi is just going right back into it. Hasn't been out the past two days. I really don't want to have to dig him up or wake him up but if I have to I will.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
This is my first tegu/first hibernation. Niles does spend a lot of time buried. He will only eat if I tong feed him. And doesn't want to eat every day. Although he has been up basking at some point each day. I think maybe they all come out of it differently. Dubya suggested oxbow carnivore care. If you tried that could it maybe give the energy boost needed to want to wake up?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Just an update on niles :) he has been eating well for me. Pretty much daily. If you can remember his wrinkly appearance when first up, he is really filling out now. I measured him and he is still 18in from nose to tail, (the length he was when he went down in october.) However, I have noticed some scales on his nose coming loose and, again, his belly is rounding out nicely. I'm very pleased with his progress!!! Yaaay! [attachment=6752]before...[attachment=6753]today

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364842901913.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364842901913.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 35
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364842931322.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364842931322.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 31

Diablo

5 Year Member
Nice! Yoshi has started eating not daily but about every other day. Does Niles poop every day? I've heard others tegus go every day but Yoshi doesn't seem to do that. Unless he is going in places I can't find... Another thing that I'm happy about is he ate a piece of strawberry today!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I don't see him go every day since up... at first nasty squirting. Now it seems yes just about once a day now.usually when holding him or when he warms up from sleep. He ate cherries for me today with his meat! :) still has me tong feeding on the dirt though...weirdo :)

anelk002

5 Year Member
No. He came out beginning March for a day or so and went back down and I can wake him up and he'll be extremely active but won't eat and go back down after a couple hours and wont come out unless i wake him . Temps are 115 basking 85-90 warm side and 75-79 cool idk what to do it did go down late like round November if I can remember. He even are a few super wormd and a picky the few days he was out

Diablo

5 Year Member
anelk002 said:
No. He came out beginning March for a day or so and went back down and I can wake him up and he'll be extremely active but won't eat and go back down after a couple hours and wont come out unless i wake him . Temps are 115 basking 85-90 warm side and 75-79 cool idk what to do it did go down late like round November if I can remember. He even are a few super wormd and a picky the few days he was out

Yeah that's what Yoshi has been doing the past two weeks. I was waking him up for a day or two and then he would sleep for a day and then come out by himself and sleep for another day. It's gradual but he will come out soon but slowly

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles was down since october, so maybe give him another month. Laura had said, if i remember correctly, some come out of it in april.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980