• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brumation or dying?

ruloradio

So I have had my juvenile Tegu for about a week now, seemed alert the first day but did spend most of time burrowed. Then daily progression of seeing him less and less. When he would come out he seemed more and more tired and did not come out at all yesterday.

The diet he was on prior consisted of raw ground turkey and kiwi. I added in grapes, strawberries, and cherries. I threw in 10 crickets. .... But it loves loves loves kiwi. Nothing new I add to the diet is eaten. Also the substrate was changed 2 days ago (2 bricks of coconut soil and a bag of reptisoil, small handful sphagnum moss)

I guess my question is that ... Is it too early for brumation or did I do something wrong? And how do I tell the difference between dying and brumation?

teguwhisperer1967

I wonder the SAME THING about MY OWN tegus. I am not sure HOW the entire brumation thing works. WHAT causes them to bromate? Is it TEMPERATURE or is it just INSTINCT? Tegus who are kept INDOORS with lots of heat, will THEY still brumate. Is is NECESSARY to brumate? Is it bad to wake them up during brumation? I know that Brumation is necessary for those who want to BREED, but WHAT ABOUT those who are just “house pets”?

Frankyismyboi

So I have had my juvenile Tegu for about a week now, seemed alert the first day but did spend most of time burrowed. Then daily progression of seeing him less and less. When he would come out he seemed more and more tired and did not come out at all yesterday.

The diet he was on prior consisted of raw ground turkey and kiwi. I added in grapes, strawberries, and cherries. I threw in 10 crickets. .... But it loves loves loves kiwi. Nothing new I add to the diet is eaten. Also the substrate was changed 2 days ago (2 bricks of coconut soil and a bag of reptisoil, small handful sphagnum moss)

I guess my question is that ... Is it too early for brumation or did I do something wrong? And how do I tell the difference between dying and brumation?
It could be the hot spot, what is the temperature? Sometimes tegus go into brumation when it's a bit too cold.

Stellalife1

Are you giving calcium plus? Basking needs to be atleast 110*F for proper digestion. The basking light can be as close as 14 inches it is getting to be time to brumate. Keep.your temps on point. 90-93 on hot side 75- 80 on cool side & humidity around 65% they should not brumate until the have stopped eating for 2+ weeks as far as diet, did the cherries have pits? You can add sweetpotatoe, , squash,, talapia, salmon, chicken hearts, liver... if its temps are all on point & she is still sleepy give her a warm soak. I'm not sure if cherries are that great for him/ her. Greenbean and parsley are also good for him/ her. Also, coconut chips & coconut core is a better substrate that keeps humidity up & easy to spot clean. If everything is at point, and she is refusing food, after not feeding for 2wks you can either shut it all down aside from freshwater & a basking light on incase she/he isn't totally emptied. Mine had started showing little interest in food when she usually comes running when she here's me tapping her dish & asking if she is hungry! Lol I have not offered food for over 2 wks & she woke up yesterday after 6days of sleeping...basked, drank water & pooped so I will keep everything on for another few days and shut it down aside from a heating element set at 68.

ruloradio

Are you giving calcium plus? Basking needs to be atleast 110*F for proper digestion. The basking light can be as close as 14 inches it is getting to be time to brumate. Keep.your temps on point. 90-93 on hot side 75- 80 on cool side & humidity around 65% they should not brumate until the have stopped eating for 2+ weeks as far as diet, did the cherries have pits? You can add sweetpotatoe, , squash,, talapia, salmon, chicken hearts, liver... if its temps are all on point & she is still sleepy give her a warm soak. I'm not sure if cherries are that great for him/ her. Greenbean and parsley are also good for him/ her. Also, coconut chips & coconut core is a better substrate that keeps humidity up & easy to spot clean. If everything is at point, and she is refusing food, after not feeding for 2wks you can either shut it all down aside from freshwater & a basking light on incase she/he isn't totally emptied. Mine had started showing little interest in food when she usually comes running when she here's me tapping her dish & asking if she is hungry! Lol I have not offered food for over 2 wks & she woke up yesterday after 6days of sleeping...basked, drank water & pooped so I will keep everything on for another few days and shut it down aside from a heating element set at 68.
Thank you so much for all the great info! He/she wont eat cherries...i cant get my GU to eat anything but ground turkey and kiwi sprinkled with calcium plus d3. Threw a fit over collard greens and apples and refused to eat that day. Will burrow for a 24 to 48 hrs and come out to bask and eat. The bedding is coconut core mixed with reptisoil. Humidity is good will increase to a new bulb tomorrow and buy some of the food options you suggested!

Stellalife1

Thank you so much for all the great info! He/she wont eat cherries...i cant get my GU to eat anything but ground turkey and kiwi sprinkled with calcium plus d3. Threw a fit over collard greens and apples and refused to eat that day. Will burrow for a 24 to 48 hrs and come out to bask and eat. The bedding is coconut core mixed with reptisoil. Humidity is good will increase to a new bulb tomorrow and buy some of the food options you suggested!
You can use ground turkey, talapia, kiwi, mango, sweet potatoes, green beans, parsley, egg yolk, with shell, all veg, meat, eggs shell fish calcium plus in a food processor. Try to make it the consistency of a meatball, this type of feeding is called a mash. That way he/she can't pick and choose what it wants. You can make extra and freeze like " meatballs or flat & somewhat thin in ziplocks for future feeding. Makes for alot less prep time. He/ she will not starve itself! They are opertunistic eaters. When I got my red rescue she had only eaten quale eggs & blueberries the whole 2yrs the girl had her. :( no paper temps, or humidity. No substrate & no front toes...she transitioned very well to mash!! Egg yolk is like crack to a tegu! Lol! tap on the food dish and call his or her name when ready to feed and tong feed he/she will get used to hearing the tapping & relate it to food. Make sure you go into the enclosure often & move things around so it gets used to you being in there also take a well worn smelly t-shirt in its hide. This will also help it to recognize your scent. They also need a water bowl for drinking & one big enough to put its whole body in to soak if it chooses to. Good luck with your new baby!! Other ways to bond is to sit in an empty bathtub and bring him in there with you to check you out. Go on your phone or something & ignore him! He will get nosey a to see what you are doing! You can also do this in a small bathroom he can't get out of. Don't stare at him, it's predatory also when you go to pick him up, scoop him up from the side. By coming in from the top is also preditory..predatory... :) good luck!!

IanCredible

No its no brumation stop the crickets get lean raw chicken and give about a quarter cup of cut up chicken mixed in with his salad. If it loves kiwi they love watermelon too but hide that at the bottom so he has to eat his meat to get the treat.

ruloradio

No its no brumation stop the crickets get lean raw chicken and give about a quarter cup of cut up chicken mixed in with his salad. If it loves kiwi they love watermelon too but hide that at the bottom so he has to eat his meat to get the treat.
Thank you, I will try that too. I know he hates collard greens...lol...threw a tantrum throwing dirt around to bury it.

Stellalife1

I wonder the SAME THING about MY OWN tegus. I am not sure HOW the entire

Thank you, I will try that too. I know he hates collard greens...lol...threw a tantrum throwing dirt around to bury it.
You can add collard greens to a mash also. I am in New England so collard greens aren't a big thing here but I did add them to my last mash & she ate everything! RRose City Reptiles also has a ton of great info on youtube about everything from feeding to brumation! :)

ruloradio

You can add collard greens to a mash also. I am in New England so collard greens aren't a big thing here but I did add them to my last mash & she ate everything! RRose City Reptiles also has a ton of great info on youtube about everything from feeding to brumation! :)
Ty...i will check them out!

ScaryAnimal1961

I wonder the SAME THING about MY OWN tegus. I am not sure HOW the entire brumation thing works. WHAT causes them to bromate? Is it TEMPERATURE or is it just INSTINCT? Tegus who are kept INDOORS with lots of heat, will THEY still brumate. Is is NECESSARY to brumate? Is it bad to wake them up during brumation? I know that Brumation is necessary for those who want to BREED, but WHAT ABOUT those who are just “house pets”?

Our hatchling Tegu brumated after only two months when we got him. We worried too but he woke up in spring just fine.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam