• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First time tegu owner as of today

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
He is so much better than I could’ve ever asked for he isn’t too fond of my 3 or 7 year old but they are loud he just keeps locked on them and watches them when they are around but they pet him and he just sits there.i can tell he gets nervous though.

It's a (new) moving presence that they'll get used to - like they get used to seeing my dogs. I have a huge Anatolian Shepard that looks directly into their enclosure with her big mug and they don't even take a breath now. It's the norm for them.

I'd be careful with your kids though... Even with them growing up with Stitches, doesn't mean they couldn't catch him on a bad day where he mistakes their intentions. And - don't forget - Tegus go through a sort of "terrible twos" type behavior when they're in their 1st-2nd year. Lots of owners wonder what the heck has gone wrong, but the Tegu is just asserting it's dominance/independence and wants what it wants.

Also - shedding sort of sets most Tegus off. Even my very even tempered female becomes unusually nervous and a little more aggressive. It's not a problem at all - because you'll be used to the behavior, but kids really have to be taught, and then taught again. Being bit by one of these animals would really traumatize a little one I would think. I have a 4 yr old grandson that I don't even let my Tegus get around.-------Sorry! not trying to preach!

Chris & Stitches

Oh I am totally with you on the kids, I’ve already warned my son (7) to keep his fist closed and pet the base of his tail or his lower back but once he is a little bigger the kids will be allowed no physical contact with him.i have had quite a few reptiles as a teenager and understand the damage they are capable of.
I’m hoping stitches never lives up to his name

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
How long has it taken for yours to reach what size debita?

Males grow incredibly fast. I'm sure Skully grew "up to" 2 inches for a couple months, but mostly 1"/month was common. I commented all the time about his fast growth. Captain, my female didn't do that at all. Way slower, and much more even across the first 12 months.

About your environment - Stitches will get sick if he's kept at the temps you quoted. Don't worry about it - it doesn't happen that fast, but he needs to be able to bask in about 110 dg while he's young (for digestion), and when an adult 125 dg, even 130dg is OK for the basking spot. The gradient temps should come down in your enclosure to the 70-75dg for the cool area. You should fix this as soon as possible, because that heat is required for them to process their food. This isn't the easiest requirement for owners to figure out, because everyone's enclosure is different. You need to try different bulbs, etc. Don't forget - he'll need to get to the final enclosure size of 8'X4'X4' quicker than you think - prob less than a year.

Chris & Stitches

As for the terrible twos, I can totally understand also but how often do people honestly handle their tegu?we were told an emerald swift could not be handled with trust and after a short time of interacting in her tank she started coming out and interacting and going back in without an issue, but it requires what I call the three times a day rule, if you have physical interaction with an animal 3 times a day for at least 3 minutes each, it will come to “love” you.but if you skip a day or two you pretty much start over.has someone had a tegu they handled like it was literally one of their kids just wake up with behavior problems one day?

Chris & Stitches

This is my tank temps and humidity right now just took these.i meant I never let my cold ends get under 70-73 at night.his basking spot will creep between 107 and 115 all day thin red bricks do great to hold heat at night as well with a ceramic heat bulb his cave stays about 87

(my hygrometer reads the temp in the corner (80 degrees) looks like it says 55 degrees 80 percent but no.stupid manufacturing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
We handle ours all the time, and they don't forget like a small swift would. They're smarter, and bond - it's not just habitual (as is the case with swifts and other small lizards). So - I love the 3x a day thing - but you might find them not interested in that. My male is way more bonded to me than my husband. (Well, my husband actually IS bonded to me....) Lol

Your rule kind of makes sense with a swift - I have a Madagascar spiney swift, and 2 emerald swifts, that are used to me, but I don't really handle them much. They are very hyper and nervous. I'm not sure it's good for them. You're tegu will let you know. He'll hide when he's tired or done being out of the enclosure. I think they like their enclosures (home)..... like a dog with a crate. They love a nice dark hide with some sphagnum moss that's moist. They sleep a lot. Better look up the humidity requirements by the way - that's as important to their health as anything we've talked about.

How come I'm the only one answering around here?? Where is everybody? (Seriously - I'm only one opinion!) ;)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
This is my tank temps and humidity right now just took these.i meant I never let my cold ends get under 70-73 at night.his basking spot will creep between 107 and 115 all day thin red bricks do great to hold heat at night as well with a ceramic heat bulb his cave stays about 87

(my hygrometer reads the temp in the corner (80 degrees) looks like it says 55 degrees 80 percent but no.stupid manufacturing

So you're good! Sorry - I misunderstood. Humidity looks good as long as you know it's 80, not 55.

Chris & Stitches

I keep a damp towel over the lid to hold the humidity up I fog the tank three times a day and it will get to 90% and then drop back to about 40 and I’ll fog it again.ive practiced this for a couple weeks when I had the swift in the 55 gallon, they require similar humidity just the tegu needs an extra 15 degrees or so, I’ll be building a permanent enclosure within 60 days I’m in the process of moving to a house (owning) and had to get my guy earlier than I planned because he was the last one , I have the equipment to house him for now,and I wasn’t waiting until another batch of babies came around.i was going to wait until June to pick him up.i appreciate the replies nothing is smarter than experience from an owner.many people can comment and be reptile experts but do they really have or have had a tegu?i always see more answers and experts online than people who can go take a pic of a lizard or enclosure right this second

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
You're going to do great. Clearly. For one thing - you're not afraid to ask questions! Occasionally - we get a stubborn member who knows more than everyone. You'll find that there are many experiences that differ, but aren't necessarily wrong. Mine have yet to brumate for any obvious amount of time. Others can give you great brumation info because their animals are like clockwork, and go down for months every year.

You'll do great because you're very connected to your animal. It's fun to follow new people and enjoy their experiences and panics. My "go-to's" were/are @Walter1 and @ALPHA Alpha. There are some new members though that are very bright and open minded like @Godzilla Earth, and @bsshig40 . I'm not mentioning everyone.... there're lots. Then one day - you're answering the questions!

Last edited:

Chris & Stitches

Awesome to have a place where you can directly talk with other tegu parents!im exited to learn about him and I hope he gets enormous... if they are cared for correctly what are the odds of a death occurring in an otherwise fine seeming tegu?

Godzilla Earth

How come I'm the only one answering around here?? Where is everybody? (Seriously - I'm only one opinion!)
Because Debita, your awesome. Also about the kids thing, if you tame him first and teach the kids how to handle them properly, (i didn't learn how to handle my anole when I was 9 so he died of stress) it should be alright. if you want to be extra careful, monitor them too

Godzilla Earth

You're going to do great. Clearly. For one thing - you're not afraid to ask questions! Occasionally - we get a stubborn member who knows more than everyone. You'll find that there are many experiences that differ, but aren't necessarily wrong. Mine have yet to brumate for any obvious amount of time. Others can give you great brumation info because their animals are like clockwork, and go down for months every year.

You'll do great because you're very connected to your animal. It's fun to follow new people and enjoy their experiences and panics. My "go-to's" were/are @Walter1 and @ALPHA Alpha. There are some new members though that are very bright and open minded like @Godzilla Earth, and @bsshig40 . I'm not mentioning everyone.... there're lots. Then one day - you're answering the questions!
also thanks debita! this is all true, Walter1 and Alpha alpha helped me a lot when I first came so get searching on a lot of forums and listen to people with expirience like them! (I don't have experience so I'm not as trustworthy)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
also thanks debita! this is all true, Walter1 and Alpha alpha helped me a lot when I first came so get searching on a lot of forums and listen to people with expirience like them! (I don't have experience so I'm not as trustworthy)

I think you're pretty trustworthy, because you speak from your experience. That, and you're genuine.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Awesome to have a place where you can directly talk with other tegu parents!im exited to learn about him and I hope he gets enormous... if they are cared for correctly what are the odds of a death occurring in an otherwise fine seeming tegu?

You have a Black/White and they are known for their hardiness. Doesn't mean you won't have an issue here and there, but your dedication to solving the prob will keep him alive for a long time!

Wanted to also tell you that my male really started showing his jowls at around 4-6 months (that's how I was sure it was a male). My female always looked so slender there, that I just knew she was not male. It was obvious once you had seen a male develop.

Godzilla Earth

Hahahaha!... It's an expression of concession ...as well as "but I still think what I think!" Lolol. Fun day today. So you win, but I still want to hear what you say. I mean....you gave us a penny trick!! o_O :D
haha, I do have good info on other things too. I know a TON about snakes and I annoy my dad with all the knolage I have on herps cuz I want to be a herpatologist. I'm even searching up colleges with herpatology campuses, at 12, so I'm kind a determined.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
haha, I do have good info on other things too. I know a TON about snakes and I annoy my dad with all the knolage I have on herps cuz I want to be a herpatologist. I'm even searching up colleges with herpatology campuses, at 12, so I'm kind a determined.

You are not 12. Nope not possible. Now I just love you even more. Can I adopt you?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced