• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First time tegu owner as of today

Chris & Stitches

wow, then your preatty lucky since most tree boas and pythons are more aggresive, unless you already tamed her
It’s an emerald swift lizard.my Burmese died about 7 years ago and I haven’t had anything but a ball python and corn snake since then that I fostered for about three years for a friend

Chris & Stitches

I do love big snakes but they just aren’t my thing.i envy intelligence which is what big lizards are all about.me and the girlfriend have discussed putting up a separate building for an indoor forest for two water monitors.(in around 15 years when the kids are grown and gone)

Godzilla Earth

try some asian water monitors. i've heard their like puppys and got that 'hi what are you doing! hi im gonna climb all over you! hi! hi!

Chris & Stitches

Yeah, they can be but they aren’t quite like tegus.i have had the opportunity to meet a water monitor and he was approachable at the most.again I’ve seen that anything can be nice when you frequently handle it but once you leave them alone and let them get too comfy in their enclosure, they can get out of control quick.that lizard was about 6 ft including tail and it was like going in a bedroom with an alligator.inward opening door too so not as convenient to get away from him either and he would let you get real close and then he would just snap it’s very scary in person it will make you really think about that lizard and it’s capabilities.and he had some more growing to do

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
WoW some of you were busy whilst I was a sleep.

Cheers for shout out debita

You sound like a very responsible Herp owner Chris and I'm sure stitches and yourself will have a great bond.

One thing I'd like to say is ..... When taking stitches anywhere I would personally try to only take him if its above 70f, they can survive lower but I wouldn't be making it a regular thing, plus at those sorts of temps once adult size he'll be hell of a lump to drag round.....lol

Chris & Stitches

WoW some of you were busy whilst I was a sleep.

Cheers for shout out debita

You sound like a very responsible Herp owner Chris and I'm sure stitches and yourself will have a great bond.

One thing I'd like to say is ..... When taking stitches anywhere I would personally try to only take him if its above 70f, they can survive lower but I wouldn't be making it a regular thing, plus at those sorts of temps once adult size he'll be hell of a lump to drag round.....lol
Absolutely, I debated taking him to the drive thru last night while he was in my pocket but it was 67 and I did decide that was way too chilly.im not a close cutting kind of person though, unless it’s at least 80 he’s not going out.here in Virginia temp can drop 10-20 degrees in seconds

Chris & Stitches

I am working on making a portable basking spot with just legs and lights so he always has a spot in the living room to go get heated, also I’d like to know what tricks people have found to keep humidity up easily.im maintaining 75% or so but running a humidifier constantly is a pain

rantology

I am working on making a portable basking spot with just legs and lights so he always has a spot in the living room to go get heated, also I’d like to know what tricks people have found to keep humidity up easily.im maintaining 75% or so but running a humidifier constantly is a pain

Seal off as much of the top as you can... you only need a small slit on either end for ventilation. Get a substrate that tolerates moisture well like coco fiber or cypress and keep it damp/moist- that helps a lot.

On the pricier side of solutions you could eventually look at something like MistKing. I have one I use for my frogs and I plan to hook it up to Darrow's big boy enclosure. They're great.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hey Chris - I went without a mister for prob 8+ months with my Tegus - it's a big job trying to keep your enclosure around 80%. I felt like I was constantly worrying about the consistency though, and now have a mister on a timer and just have to check the water level. For me, it's about peace of mind.

Also - There was another member...can't remember if it was maybe Michigan Lady?....who had a basking lamp in her room for her Tegu and she noticed that the animal started getting aggressive toward her while in that area. I'm sure the animal had just gotten possessive about it's spot and felt the need to guard it - but it was unexpected, because he'd had it for awhile, then one day decided to act huffy when she walked by. So - things can seem normal for a time, then they change.

I've had someone tell me that I'm doing something wrong if my Tegu is aggressive.....that's simply not true. No one is provoking the animal in any way, and it's life as usual. When aggression happens, it can be for a reason as simple as the animal decides one day that it needs to defend it's space. This particular behavior especially happens with Tegus that roam free....not always, but it's possible.

Also - when my Skully did this to me, he was pretty fierce (but he's always had a bug up his a**) and he displayed his most aggressive behavior after I put him in a temporary enclosure where he could bask in the sun and take in the fresh air. By the end of that day, when I had to get him back inside (night temps were going to be in the upper 40's) he threw a Tegu hissy fit. Lunging at my husband with the intent to bite over and over. We had to CARRY the fun new outdoor enclosure into the house and literally "dump" him back into his normal home. He's been normal ever since. He was 2 1/2 at the time.....not telling this to scare you but to reiterate that your common sense isn't going to be the same as theirs! Just a story about perspective. (Oh - and children!)

Godzilla Earth

Hey Chris - I went without a mister for prob 8+ months with my Tegus - it's a big job trying to keep your enclosure around 80%. I felt like I was constantly worrying about the consistency though, and now have a mister on a timer and just have to check the water level. For me, it's about peace of mind.

Also - There was another member...can't remember if it was maybe Michigan Lady?....who had a basking lamp in her room for her Tegu and she noticed that the animal started getting aggressive toward her while in that area. I'm sure the animal had just gotten possessive about it's spot and felt the need to guard it - but it was unexpected, because he'd had it for awhile, then one day decided to act huffy when she walked by. So - things can seem normal for a time, then they change.

I've had someone tell me that I'm doing something wrong if my Tegu is aggressive.....that's simply not true. No one is provoking the animal in any way, and it's life as usual. When aggression happens, it can be for a reason as simple as the animal decides one day that it needs to defend it's space. This particular behavior especially happens with Tegus that roam free....not always, but it's possible.

Also - when my Skully did this to me, he was pretty fierce (but he's always had a bug up his a**) and he displayed his most aggressive behavior after I put him in a temporary enclosure where he could bask in the sun and take in the fresh air. By the end of that day, when I had to get him back inside (night temps were going to be in the upper 40's) he threw a Tegu hissy fit. Lunging at my husband with the intent to bite over and over. We had to CARRY the fun new outdoor enclosure into the house and literally "dump" him back into his normal home. He's been normal ever since. He was 2 1/2 at the time.....not telling this to scare you but to reiterate that your common sense isn't going to be the same as theirs! Just a story about perspective. (Oh - and children!)
I know that tegus aren't garrenied to be tame, they have a very high chance. once they do become tame, they will ussually be chill with a lot of stuff

Chris & Stitches

I’m using a repta fogger and I just run it all the time at the lowest setting and turn it up here and there for a few minutes.it stays above 60% even on his warm side and 75-90% depending on how long ago I turned it up.going to get him out of the bath now, let him tan for a few and try to feed him.hes also much more attached to my gf idk if her body heat is up a little from mine or if he’s just a boy like I’m hoping

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I’m using a repta fogger and I just run it all the time at the lowest setting and turn it up here and there for a few minutes.it stays above 60% even on his warm side and 75-90% depending on how long ago I turned it up.going to get him out of the bath now, let him tan for a few and try to feed him.hes also much more attached to my gf idk if her body heat is up a little from mine or if he’s just a boy like I’m hoping

Lol...hoping for that jowl growth! I also just use a reptifogger - it works fine for me on a timer. If I even put mine on low like that the walls start to sweat and even blister.

Chris & Stitches

ill Just stick with that then.didnt know if there was a simpler way that worked better.stitches seems to do a lot of sleeping.like nothing but sleep.he slept every minute he could yesterday and today and hasn’t ate, still hasn’t pooped.and yes I am hoping to see some jowls form :) I’m not a great judge of tegu babies but I think he’s a few months old am I know they’re all different but should I be able to tell in 3 months?i am taking his mugshot every day so that eventually I can show a lapse of his whole maturity.i can’t find anything showing a timeframe with pics for reference

rantology

You should be able to tell by feeling for the "BB"s under the vent before they start manifesting jowels. Here's a link that shows how ... you should also be able to feel them if you're having a hard time seeing them. 3 months seems a bit young so he/she may not be identifiable just yet

Chris & Stitches

Yeah I looked him over real close and I can’t see anything that noticeable.so him could be a her....I measured last night and 16 inches exactly.consistently eating about 15-20 crickets every other day but hasn’t pooped for going on day 5 now.he looks for us when we’re around and begs to come out.if he’s stressed he isn’t good at showing it

Chris & Stitches

Anyone wanna take their guesses on male or female?

Attachments

• F6F94EA6-7E0E-4A36-A80A-4202E1A657DB.jpeg
    F6F94EA6-7E0E-4A36-A80A-4202E1A657DB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

rantology

Anyone wanna take their guesses on male or female?

We need a clear shot of a partial side view of the vent to be able to visually identify (not strait on but not straight from the side either).

Regarding the no-poopings situation- 5 days is starting to become a bit worrisome... Have you tried a bit of mineral oil yet? Or perhaps soaking in warm baths for 20-30 minutes? Does the belly feel or look abnormal in any way? He/she doesnt look too bloated from the pictures, that's at least a good sign.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980