• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How long to wait after feeding large or xl rat last

Largelizards

Hey guys,
just wondering about how long you wait after feeding a large or xl rat?

On a side note, Does anyone know where to get frozen feeders online less money than rodent pro?
2550841C-BBEB-4724-AECB-A90BA5998E8B.jpeg
C894F1BA-58F5-46E8-8842-CA8D0BE52220.jpeg
2BE08BC2-815C-46D2-AA9F-B6C05E6B7439.jpeg

Catnlion

Off topic, but I haven't made the decision to aquire one yet, what is the age difference between the two in the tub? Other than the length the difference in girth is amazing.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Holy!!! Did they grow up together in the same enclosure?? Good photo (unless they just took each other out right after you took it...LOL) Ok, so back on topic - Tegus, after they have a big meal, will hide and not need to eat for a day or even 2 sometimes. Mine prob get frozen/thawed mice about 2-3 times a week. In my experience, they'll over eat if you let them - so you get used to monitoring that.

Looking back at your question....sorry....I've never given a large or extra large rat, but would assume it would hold them for 2 days if not more.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
People usually opt for feeding smaller animals in bigger quantities...... there seems to be some belief that larger animals are harder to digest leading to either inpaction or prolapse ...... I have no real evidence of this myself, its just what I've heard.

also thought I added this to my first response sorry.

Guman

People usually opt for feeding smaller animals in bigger quantities...... there seems to be some belief that larger animals are harder to digest leading to either inpaction or prolapse ...... I have no real evidence of this myself, its just what I've heard.

also thought I added this to my first response sorry.
I have one that has prolapse's with large meals. So, we feed small and more often.

Guman

How common is an animal that has a prolapse?
I only have one Tegu, and early on made husbandry mistakes; we were not feeding whole prey and caused mbd. He has recovered, for the most part, can't handle extra-large meals.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I only have one Tegu, and early on made husbandry mistakes; we were not feeding whole prey and caused mbd. He has recovered, for the most part, can't handle extra-large meals.
You've got him on the right trail now.

Chris & Stitches

So stitches has been eating as many crickets as you can give him but won’t try anything else...won’t touch super worms, veggies, berries, or ground turkey.i got frustrated and rubbed the turkey around his nose and mouth hoping it would get him interested but he just licked his lips 978 times and went back to checking the dark end for crickets again.do I just feed him as much as he wants to eat? I understand they are fast growers but he’s eating around 30+ large crickets a day.

Guman

You've got him on the right trail now.
Thank you! You know how dedicated I have been to get him on the right track. My next goal this year increased enrichment and expanded food choice. He is a very picky eater and refuses everything except mice and meat. This means he does not eat fruits or veggies, and his staple is mice. I do spread his feedings out since he is a pig with mice. I do not want him to get too fat.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't worry at all about vegies. Keep whole meals small in individual size. Include organ meats, some wet dog food, and canned salmon. Dust with calcium, and provide fish oil. That's it.

Guman

Don't worry at all about vegies. Keep whole meals small in individual size. Include organ meats, some wet dog food, and canned salmon. Dust with calcium, and provide fish oil. That's it.
Never thought about canned fish I will have to try the salmon. I have thought about a torturous diet, not for frequent feeds but maybe once a month just to add some variation. Today I bought a kong online to fill with ground meat, but possibly the salmon would be fun too.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
So stitches has been eating as many crickets as you can give him but won’t try anything else...won’t touch super worms, veggies, berries, or ground turkey.i got frustrated and rubbed the turkey around his nose and mouth hoping it would get him interested but he just licked his lips 978 times and went back to checking the dark end for crickets again.do I just feed him as much as he wants to eat? I understand they are fast growers but he’s eating around 30+ large crickets a day.

I think you'll see in many of the threads here that lots of people are concerned about what their Tegu "isn't" eating. When they're new to their home, they are in the process of settling, and they haven't developed their routine yet. If he likes crickets, give him crickets with a dusting of calcium. The calcium is so important - I lost a baby blue Tegu when I didn't know any better, and will regret it forever. Wish I'd known about this forum at that time! There's no tellin' if he had issues before I bought him, but I wasn't equipped to handle it, and then got bad info from the reptile store that I bought it from. Don't forget your calcium, and it needs the D3 with it so the animal processess the calcium.

Chris & Stitches

Yes I do have more than enough supply of calcium although I was forgetting to dust them now and then so now I just put a few punches in the bags of crickets and let them chill with it I figure it can’t hurt anything.stitches is doing great though.he likes to dig but seems like he’s just exploring he loves to just eat and sleep.
Also I’ve started a mouse farm with 2 females and a male to keep a steady flow of small mice to feed him half the time

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam