• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

evan k

5 Year Member
Hi. I would like to ask for some help again if I may.

Currently I own a argentine black n white tegu (unknown sex). I have kept it for 6,5 years and I thino its biological age is around 7 years. It is 98 cm/3 feet or so long.

For the last 5 years, I let it roam in my yard that is located near my kitchen and my other pet which is a 40 cm/17 inch-ish long leopard tortoise. My tegu never bother or try to bite my tortoise and for the last 6 years it never show any aggresion except if I wake it suddenly (understandbly of course).

But since three or two months ago, my tegu became really really agressive. I don't know if it is a food aggresion since it is always hungry now and more active or if there are any other reason. The thing is my tegu now try to bite my leopard tortoise quite oftenly and try to nip my toes.

So I put it into somekind of dog exercise pen. It is 200 cm/6 feet or so x 120 cm/4 feet or so without a lid. I put a large dog house inside it as a hiding box. I have put my tegu there for 3 days but it is still kinda irritated and always try to dig the ground as if it is trying to escape.

I kinda feel sorry and sad for it but I got no choice. Could I have some tips to help it acclimate faster or settle more easily in its new cage? Do you think the dimension is too small? Or should I just wait it for settle down naturaly? Its appetite and defecation is normal though.

Thank you very much and I am sorry for my bad english and time consuming post...

evan k

5 Year Member
I am sorry. My enclosure is 250 cm/7 feet or so x 120 cm/4 feet or so. Is it large enough for 98 cm/3 foot or so tegu?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That doesn't sound too too small. What else has changed in your tegu's life? Where are you located? Could the weather be affecting him? The new enclosure will be stressful for him but you should see regular improvement with that

evan k

5 Year Member
That doesn't sound too too small. What else has changed in your tegu's life? Where are you located? Could the weather be affecting him? The new enclosure will be stressful for him but you should see regular improvement with that
The biggest change probably that it is sick right now so I usually take it to vet for every 2-3 weeks since 3-4 months ago There are some fluid accumulated. Its condition is improving I think.

I am from Indonesia. We have a humid and quite hot weather all year around.

Ah I see. I hope my tegu condition will improve then..

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
He may just be feeling that he is NOT enclosed (their preferred environment) and is starting to feel territorial. In which case, you've done the right thing, unless you can move the tortoise. When I put my male outdoors, he turned on me the very same day with biting and death rolls. I think he thought he had gone to heaven - until I tried to bring him back into the house. He was a year old when I got him, and had been living the free life in Florida. 7 yrs though? That's a long time for him to decide to get aggressive. Not sure I've heard that before.

evan k

5 Year Member
He may just be feeling that he is NOT enclosed (their preferred environment) and is starting to feel territorial. In which case, you've done the right thing, unless you can move the tortoise. When I put my male outdoors, he turned on me the very same day with biting and death rolls. I think he thought he had gone to heaven - until I tried to bring him back into the house. He was a year old when I got him, and had been living the free life in Florida. 7 yrs though? That's a long time for him to decide to get aggressive. Not sure I've heard that before.
Aah I see. Make sense about the territorial reason. I hope I have done the right thing then..

Lol gone to heaven

Yeah, that is what really bugging me. Why does my tegu suddenly become aggresive at this age since most people said that they become mellower as they get older..

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'm of the opinion that most of us can only guess. Somehow, he felt violated, or challenged or ? Maybe the tortoise decided to see if your Tegu tasted good one day.

:rolleyes: :tegu:

evan k

5 Year Member
I'm of the opinion that most of us can only guess. Somehow, he felt violated, or challenged or ? Maybe the tortoise decided to see if your Tegu tasted good one day.

:rolleyes: :tegu:
Well make sense since my tortoise sometimes try to nip on my tegu tail..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744