• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Looking for Ideas on the tegu give away contest?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is everyone ready for the tegu give away contest? Thats right, TeguTalk.com and Varnyard Herps Inc. are going to give away a free tegu hatchling. The winner gets the choice of sex. The Argentine baby will be one straight out of my stock and a normal. I am looking for ideas for the contest, please no tegu photo contests as this should be open to people that don't have a tegu yet too.

Also you must be in the lower 48 states to enter, I will not ship out of the US on this contest.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How about guessing the closest aount of tegus hatched out last season lol, i really cant think of anything

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
How about guessing the closest aount of tegus hatched out last season lol, i really cant think of anything

Too many people know it was 816 babies last year.

NogarD

How about any normal lizard/snake in the animals enclosure? Should it not be animal related? Pics of your kids and their first reptile experience? I have a ton of those, one of my happiest moments was when my 2 year old wanted to stay at the Komodo Dragon exhibit at the Phoenix Zoo. Like father , like son.

adam1120

how about how many view tegutalk.com get on a certain day? alot of choice and people have no set number to chooce from alot of people view daily im guessing? just quick thought:D

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I suggest a comprehensive article about Arg Tegus in their native environments. It is a topic that interests many of us and gives the contestants useful information in caring for their Tegu.

The other option is writing an article on Tegu care in captivity, which is what you usually do...

I do not like the idea of guessing random things. I don't think "luck" should be the deciding factor in this contest, I think dedication to the project should be.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
im thinking a cage building contest? whoever has the best looking/coolest cage wins. maybe to prove they can take it if they were to win. or ill challenge everyone here to a sword fighting tournament.=] although if we did that you might as well hand it over to me right then.lol j/k although if it was for an extreme i would trade over all my animals i have and do w/e contest you thought up. especially if it was one of those show colored ones.those are the most beautiful lizards iv ever seen.=D

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I like the idea of some kind of article or something that shows people are taking the time to learn about the animals and the work it takes to keep them healthy. As toby said, luck shouldn't be the deciding factor. I skimmed some of the posts from previous contests when I first joined the forum in August, the article/essay ones (IMO) would be better, anyone can guess a number but not everyone knows what it takes to PROPERLY care for a tegu.

adam1120

but like bobby said wants poeple without having a tegu to have a chance to win im pretty sure if you dont have a tegu you wont really now answer to questions like that.. so really most likely one of you guys are gunna win when bobby wants a fair chance for everyone "lucks" the best way to go:D but all up to bobby:D

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is a ton of info all over the site and other sites, if people take the time to read up some more it seems like can become a fair contest. Either way, I'm not entering it I've got my hands full with the ones I have lol. It'll be interesting to see how this years contest turns out.

Other personal story type things might work better for the experienced and more novice people.
Most people on here already have some kind of pet, a couple more ideas to throw around:
photograph your pet, best feeding picture, timelines of a pet.
Matching games, identify pictures with scientific names (might be more difficult, there aren't a ton of tegu varieties lol)
Referring members? "Why I should win and get the tegu"? <-- hahaha

hanniebann

5 Year Member
what about a caption contest? It'd be a good way to enjoy everyone's sense of humor and creativity ;D not to mention, you don't have to own a tegu yet to participate, fair enough? ish?

thomasjg23

I think an essay is the way to go. Maybe not on the nity grity of tegu facts but somehow on compassion and care for pets so newer members have just as much a chance.

AvaHal12

Countdown Game - In this game the original poster starts with a number, say 100, then each subsequent poster posts the next number down (99, 98 etc.) until you get to zero. Beforehand the person running the game has selected a secret number (or several numbers). At the end of the game, whoever has posted the secret numbers is a winner!

slideaboot

5 Year Member
hanniebann said:
what about a caption contest? It'd be a good way to enjoy everyone's sense of humor and creativity ;D not to mention, you don't have to own a tegu yet to participate, fair enough? ish?

This gets my vote. Enough with the essays and care sheets...they're cool and all, but really, this isn't an English class and there isn't a whole lot of fun in a CONTEST that involves writing a research paper (which is EXACTLY what the care sheet or essay on tegu husbandry truly is).

Now, a caption contest--that's something ALL of us can participate in and enjoy. We could also all be involved with it by being able to vote on our favorites. This would get a good amount of people on the board getting more involved overall with the forum, which I think is a good thing.

Granted, Bobby'd have to set some parameters or guidelines, but once those are in place, a lot of us could have a field day with this.

Just my three cents...

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
slideaboot said:
hanniebann said:

This gets my vote. Enough with the essays and care sheets...they're cool and all, but really, this isn't an English class and there isn't a whole lot of fun in a CONTEST that involves writing a research paper (which is EXACTLY what the care sheet or essay on tegu husbandry truly is).

Now, a caption contest--that's something ALL of us can participate in and enjoy. We could also all be involved with it by being able to vote on our favorites. This would get a good amount of people on the board getting more involved overall with the forum, which I think is a good thing.

Granted, Bobby'd have to set some parameters or guidelines, but once those are in place, a lot of us could have a field day with this.

Just my three cents...

I will tell you what, you set it up and I will look at it, I really don't have the time right now to get it up and running. I just got two more clutches this morning. :)

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Sweet. Congrats on the clutches, Bobby!

So, we need to figure out what picture or pictures we'd use (where would they/it come from? what would the picture/s be of?---I'm thinking some cool tegu pic, personally).

Then we'd need a way to submit our captions for all to see and vote on.

Obviously, there'd need to be a time limit and maybe some restrictions on the level of "adult-ness" that the caption could contain, too...

What else would we need?

hanniebann

5 Year Member
i think that's about it. caption contests are pretty straight forward, no bad words, have fun, lol. i think...

maybe we give a few options for pictures to choose?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam