• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Sumatran Water Monitor

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Surviving is a far cry from thriving in my opinion. I personally enjoy constructive criticism but since you don't seem to I won't add anything else. Good luck with your animals, friend.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just hope you keep us updated whatever way it goes, good or bad. I don't agree with the way you are keeping him, but it is your choice. I do wish you a long happy life with him though.

HeatherN

when it comes to keeping separate species together when normal not this link may interest you, good read. http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1988068,1988068

as for the other stuff, they're his animals, and he doesn't seem to mistreat them, i would let him do what he does how he does it as long as they're healthy and whatnot.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
There's more issues than "bonding" with housing separate species. IE parasites since both his water and his columbian were almost certainly imported(from different parts of the country). Also, different care requirements. But it's alright. Done with this thread. Best of luck with this.

m3s4

TegusRawsome80 said:
There's more issues than "bonding" with housing separate species. IE parasites since both his water and his columbian were almost certainly imported(from different parts of the country). Also, different care requirements. But it's alright. Done with this thread. Best of luck with this.

That's all you had to say, and I'm glad you did. No harm, no foul.

Everything's good.

As for the comment about surviving vs thriving, that's a call only an sharp eye and very good visual observer can make. Since I'm not an idiot, I think I know and can distinguish quite easily, the difference.

To everyone that's posted in this thread: thanks.

It's nice to see people that care about the well-being of all the animals involved, ultimately that should be the goal. It's my top-priority to make sure my animals thrive and just because the path I choose is different doesn't mean the destination or end-result is, or will be.

It's ok to think out-side of the box sometimes.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The problem with most reptiles, monitors are notorious for this is once you see a problem it is too late. They will not show any signs of weakness or illness until it is too late.

yulyani

james.w said:
The problem with most reptiles, monitors are notorious for this is once you see a problem it is too late. They will not show any signs of weakness or illness until it is too late.

Dear James............ i totally agree with your words....when we see the problem on monitor lizards,...usually it's too late....I have been keeping them since I was very young,....and because of my limited skill I have lost some of them,...eventhough we provide the proper medical care with vets,...this procedure has limit to cure the illness in monitor lizards.

My conclusion after years of living with them is the prevention is the best, much more than a cure. In my past I tried to co-habitat the monitor lizards in different species ( dumeril and melinus ) and it ended with a very sad result...so I am still thinking the safest way is to keep them solitary,....except for breeding of course...they have the very different temperament ( i think it is also very important beside their different needs ) and we can not predict exactly what will happen

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yulyani .....

How hard is it to get varanus that is native to you? Do you keep yours indoors or out?

yulyani

james.w said:
yulyani .....

How hard is it to get varanus that is native to you? Do you keep yours indoors or out?

Hi James,
I am sorry if my english is limited. If you mean their availability,...they are very easily found ...I could still noticed water monitor run away at the compound (grassy area ) and I envy to see how healthy they are in the wild.

I have the indoor and outdoor cage for my monitors. The tame one usually taken outside during morning to evening to get the sunshine,...but I bring them inside still in the indoor cage with substrates on the evening-night...I am concern about the cool night temperature they may feel if they are staying always outside,...because at the outdoor cage i can not provide the substrate ( it is too big and not easy to clean ).....
The water monitor MJ below in pictures...I haven't release him into the big outdoor enclosure,...because he is not completely tamed down and it's not easy to handle him without help...

I am thinking, the best way to keep monitor is to give them their native environtment...in my minds,..they are more like a cat (wilder),...and tegu, they are more likely a dog

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your English is very good and thanks for the info. Is it legal to catch and keep wild varanus.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
m3s4 said:
TegusRawsome80 said:

Everything's good.

As for the comment about surviving vs thriving, that's a call only an sharp eye and very good visual observer can make. Since I'm not an idiot, I think I know and can distinguish quite easily, the difference.

It's nice to see people that care about the well-being of all the animals involved, ultimately that should be the goal. It's my top-priority to make sure my animals thrive and just because the path I choose is different doesn't mean the destination or end-result is, or will be.

You can be as observant as you like but it only takes 2 seconds on a bad day to completely ruin your utopian cohabitation setup. Even same species kept together is a risk that keepers(myself included) often take. Just don't trick yourself into thinking your observant eye can protect your animals in these conditions - sometimes things just take a bad turn my friend.

m3s4

JohnMatthew said:
m3s4 said:
TegusRawsome80 said:

Everything's good.

You can be as observant as you like but it only takes 2 seconds on a bad day to completely ruin your utopian cohabitation setup. Even same species kept together is a risk that keepers(myself included) often take. Just don't trick yourself into thinking your observant eye can protect your animals in these conditions - sometimes things just take a bad turn my friend.

Duly noted, and I appreciate the concern.

yulyani

JohnMatthew said:
m3s4 said:
TegusRawsome80 said:

Everything's good.

yes John I agree with you the things you mean happened to my beloved varanus melinus Tongky after long time co- habitat with Rokomo my dumeril. She went into the un-treatable trauma condition and i never forgive myself...the one I wish is only to turn back the time again prevent it to happen......:(

JohnMatthew said:
m3s4 said:
TegusRawsome80 said:

Everything's good.

yes John I agree with you the things you mean happened to my beloved varanus melinus Tongky after long time co- habitat with Rokomo my dumeril. She went into the un-treatable trauma condition and i never forgive myself...the one I wish is only to turn back the time again prevent it to happen......:(

m3s4

Grendel said:
Have to agree with the "mean posters"...bad setup for the wanter monitor.

Don't think there's any mean posters in this thread, just concerned ones that want to see a success story and not a mistake.

People, please keep in mind this is only a _temporary_ set-up.

Ally, my adult B&W has her own room and her own enclosure when she isn't roaming. She isn't part of the equation.

Tai, my 8 month old colombian is still too small to roam and he doesn't get that part of it yet - in time he will. So, it makes the most logical sense to house these two together. Since they're similarly sized, and young, they're doing just fine - you know, figuring it out together.

Just to note, when I'm not home, Tai stays in a small sleeper so nothing can inadvertently happen when I'm gone.

I appreciate everyone's concerns and so far, everything's been fine.

The monitor's eating ground turkey like mad and putting back on some of the weight he lost before he was shipped to me.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Face-palm. Monitor... ground turkey... Lord. Why didn't you wait on the water monitor until you had an enclosure for it? How temporary is it?

frost

1,000+ Post Club
haha its always amusing reading posts on here when people rage. but im not going to put any info on the monitors since i haven't had many, i just have the information from what i read on here and other forums. i love water monitors tho. does anyone else on here have any? i wanna see some adults and some cool enclosures.
vulyani can i see your outside enclosures? those are always cool to see what people have built for their reptiles.=]

yulyani

hi,

i post you some of the pictures of outdoor and indoor cages i use...If you see the picture of tongky my melinus,...she is not longer with me since i failed to save her life after accident with the co habitat rokomo....eventhough the cage is big enough....

the very small skink lizard named Caplin is about 10 years old,....he has the heart issue and I keep treat with medicines with the help of the vets.

the black hole is my very number one pet....miut the mixed dog ...!!!hehehehe

Attachments

• 09092010.jpg
    09092010.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 26062010_002.jpg
    26062010_002.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 30012010.jpg
    30012010.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 03022011_004.jpg
    03022011_004.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20072009.jpg
    20072009.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 22052009.jpg
    22052009.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 38

frost

1,000+ Post Club
wow those are awesome.=] i didnt know the dumerils were so pretty.or was that the water? i cant wait till my tegus get that big.my biggest is my red tegu rosy,she is daddy's little girl haha. that is a nice cage for the blue tongue, i have a pair of blue tongues myself. the dog is cute too my grandpa used to have a dog that was was my favorite,it was part wolf and part German Shepard. thanks for taking the time to upload those pics.=] sorry if i was rambling i just woke up a little bit ago. and sorry to hear about your loss. my only pet i had die on me was my rosy boa that i had for like 5 years.=/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980