• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Food List

I don't think that in itself is a good reason to avoid a certain food item. Wild tegus probably don't eat most of the food we give them in captivity. As long as it's a good approximation, that's the key.

Unless there is something specific about beef that makes it indigestible or otherwise toxic to tegus, but I doubt that is the case.
I'll agree with you there. I feel like you can really only take the "wouldn't happen in the wild" logic so far when dealing with an animal you have in captivity to begin with haha.

But I also think due to its size, beef would be tricky to feed a gu. Because managing to break down beef into pieces a gu could eat, and getting the bones and organs and such to proper size would prove complicated IMO

dpjm

5 Year Member
But I also think due to its size, beef would be tricky to feed a gu. Because managing to break down beef into pieces a gu could eat, and getting the bones and organs and such to proper size would prove complicated IMO

Yup, not an ideal food. Better to use much smaller prey that can be eaten whole. I haven't heard of whole ground beef being available (meat, organs, bones, etc. all ground up together), but that's the only way I'd use beef.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Fish are ok, but in moderation. These should be whole fish, not just the meat. Watch that you limit fatty fish like herring, tegus should not eat a high fat diet.

Zcal93

Honestly clutch I just got a hatchling and have been feeding it primarily ground turkey and the occasiaonl horn and super worm. much love for this post.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Kale can be added back onto the list. Found a study stating that it's far lower in oxalates than previously assumed: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/kale-sheds-bum-rap-on-kidney-stones/

Kale is super low in oxalates, and that goes for almost all cabbages. The only one I know of that is higher is collard greens. However it does contain a sugar called raffinose that can cause some intestinal discomfort. You can minimize this and increase digestibility by cooking it, I'd recommend steaming for about 3 min.

Guman

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/kale-sheds-bum-rap-on-kidney-stones/
Kale is super low in oxalates, and that goes for almost all cabbages. The only one I know of that is higher is collard greens. However it does contain a sugar called raffinose that can cause some intestinal discomfort. You can minimize this and increase digestibility by cooking it, I'd recommend steaming for about 3 min.

Kale and cabage are high in goitrogens. Goitrogens can cause thyroid problems. Green iguana society has a nice food list that list ca+, goitrogens, oxalates, and nutritional make up including Ca+-P, Protein, Fat, Water, and Fiber.

Kre8sioN

How the heck did you come up with this. Fantastic for a new tegu owner. I mean how much time and research? I feel at ease, my Tegu REALLY likes to eat and just want to make sure 1 - its good for him and 2 - variation...Thanks Puff

Joanna

I have a quick question. We are new to tegus and just got a beautiful 3 year old male. I know they can eat raw meat but I have heard of people freezing it first and then thawing it for them to eat. Does that kill bacteria and is it even necessary? Thanks!! Any advice is appreciated as I have not one clue about feeding meat. All the rest of our reptiles stick to meal worms and veggies.

VenusAndSaturn

I have a quick question. We are new to tegus and just got a beautiful 3 year old male. I know they can eat raw meat but I have heard of people freezing it first and then thawing it for them to eat. Does that kill bacteria and is it even necessary? Thanks!! Any advice is appreciated as I have not one clue about feeding meat. All the rest of our reptiles stick to meal worms and veggies.

If it's store bought meat you shouldn't have to worry about freezing it however if its wild game and it hasn't been frozen yet you'd probably wanna freeze the animal for at least 3 weeks before feeding it just so theres no chance of parasites or bad bacteria.

Zyn

Most people make it in large amounts then put them in individual packages then freeze it. Son not to waste any, and only thaw what’s needed for the day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam