• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Largelizards

My basking temps are 107-117 on a half log and 100-105F on a tile but when homemade fogger is on, it lowers the surface temps so log is only 100 and tile is 90.

It’s a 40 g breeder tank, a 160w mega ray is over log, 75 w flood over tile and a 100w Che near middle of tank.

Bêla is around 3-4 months old, he spends most time on warm end although I sometimes see him in middle of tank. I am measuring temps close so temp gun isn’t reading through fog. Without fogger, air humidity would be around 35% or so under lights.

Should I replace the 75w flood, 100w Che, or add another heat source? I leave fogger on all day except for after he eats to make sure he gets hot enough.

Thanks in advance! Also, I do have a zoomed 150w halogen basking light on hand if need be, but will buy another light if needed.

Attachments

• 694C0B87-21C9-49F3-BACA-3F9B14B930C2.jpeg
    694C0B87-21C9-49F3-BACA-3F9B14B930C2.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 25
  • E783004D-2E9E-441F-B3B4-B6FA3FFBB17B.jpeg
    E783004D-2E9E-441F-B3B4-B6FA3FFBB17B.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 31E8E782-BABF-46CF-8112-34C898AD1BB5.jpeg
    31E8E782-BABF-46CF-8112-34C898AD1BB5.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 4B61FA9C-2B37-4015-83C4-03B10662BFC8.jpeg
    4B61FA9C-2B37-4015-83C4-03B10662BFC8.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 25

Waters

Are you measuring humidity levels throughout the day? When you say the fogger is on all day, is it actively fogging all day or is it on a timer? If it isn't on a timer, I would use a hygrometer and only have it turn on when it is needed. That will solve your surface temp issues. If it is on all day, it is probably too humid in the enclosure anyways....especially in a glass cage.

Largelizards

Yes I measure throughout the day. If it’s full blast, there is a layer of fog in tank. Air humidity under lights doesn’t go much over 75%. If I put in lowest setting the air humidity is only 35-40% under basking lights. Excess humidity seems to just leave tank which is half covered by a Rubbermaid lid. When I watched Afroherpkeeper open his grow tent, fog poured out. Also, in their native environment and in Everglades,the air humidity is extremely high which is what I would of thought they evolved to thrive in? If fogger was to be turned off, under the lights the air humidity would drop down drastically right away and if he’s not in the humid substrate, but is basking like is his usual routine, he will be exposed to dry air, which could lead to shedding and hydration issues. It seems like that is two of the biggest issues faced by Tegu owners, which I would think might be because of heavy emphasis on humid substrate and not air humidity.

If I am off or misunderstood about air humidity please correct me. How often are/should they exposed to dry air? Perhaps I should just use setting in between high and low setting? Also, the fogger is over center of tank over water dish to catch drips, not over the basking spot so it’s not getting drenched.

Waters

Yes I measure throughout the day. If it’s full blast, there is a layer of fog in tank. Air humidity under lights doesn’t go much over 75%. If I put in lowest setting the air humidity is only 35-40% under basking lights. Excess humidity seems to just leave tank which is half covered by a Rubbermaid lid. When I watched Afroherpkeeper open his grow tent, fog poured out. Also, in their native environment and in Everglades,the air humidity is extremely high which is what I would of thought they evolved to thrive in? If fogger was to be turned off, under the lights the air humidity would drop down drastically right away and if he’s not in the humid substrate, but is basking like is his usual routine, he will be exposed to dry air, which could lead to shedding and hydration issues. It seems like that is two of the biggest issues faced by Tegu owners, which I would think might be because of heavy emphasis on humid substrate and not air humidity.

If I am off or misunderstood about air humidity please correct me. How often are/should they exposed to dry air? Perhaps I should just use setting in between high and low setting? Also, the fogger is over center of tank over water dish to catch drips, not over the basking spot so it’s not getting drenched.
Are you measuring humidity at the substrate level where the tegu spends most of his time, or up high by the lights? Normally foggers keep most of the humidity down low....you said air humidity under the lights doesn't go much over 75%........it might be closer to 100% down lower where that thick layer of fog is. Also remember, Tegus aren't native to the Everglades where humidity levels can be close to 100%. It is fine if the tegu has access to very high humidity areas but there needs to be areas of lower humidity for the Tegu to escape if desired....otherwise respiratory issues can arise.

Largelizards

Yes, I am measuring it using a standing humidistat device at ground level on both the tile and log at tegu level. There isn’t a huge layer of fog there as heat dissipates it. Yes, I know they aren’t native to the Everglades, is it not that humid in grass Savanna’s bordering rainforest where they are found?

Waters

Yes, I am measuring it using a standing humidistat device at ground level on both the tile and log at tegu level. There isn’t a huge layer of fog there as heat dissipates it. Yes, I know they aren’t native to the Everglades, is it not that humid in grass Savanna’s bordering rainforest where they are found?
The humidity levels in their natural habitat is between 60-80%, depending on where they are found. As long as you are measuring levels at lower in the cage, you should be fine. Since you are using a smaller glass aquarium, you can also use a high humidity hide and keep the enclosure humidity between 60-70 percent if that helps maintain basking temperatures....that way the tegu has the option of different levels of humidity.

Largelizards

Thanks for your help! I do have a humid hide and will continue to try and create a humid gradient for options. This is already the case with the substrate and I will try to maintain to air humidity around 60-70. I suppose I could also make some days more or less humid just as in nature different days and seasons change but will strike a balance with having a consistent environment. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Waters

Thanks for your help! I do have a humid hide and will continue to try and create a humid gradient for options. This is already the case with the substrate and I will try to maintain to air humidity around 60-70. I suppose I could also make some days more or less humid just as in nature different days and seasons change but will strike a balance with having a consistent environment. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
Sounds good! Good luck :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced