• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone know what happen to thetegu.com??

LouDog760

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
LouDog760 said:
So its no more. I never head about the arguments between, Rick and Bobby. Different views?
They were very good friends for a few years. Until the summer of 2007 when it became apparent what Rick's true personality was. In 10/07 they had it out on thetegu and Rick deleted much of the argument.

I emailed Rick a few times asking questions. He would vaguely answer one and ignore the rest. A few times I tried to meet him in the park he says he takes his Tegu's to free roam. He said he would never commit to being in one place at any time. That showed his true colors to me.

I didn't go back there for about 10 months. I've been helping over there some since it's been a bit slow here. I'm expecting that will change! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info, Dave. I'll point people towards this site. I have another question. What tegu breeders are left now?

dturner05

5 Year Member
Not too many

Doesn't seem that there are too many large scale breeders left...but just to throw this out...Rick never bred...But now that Agama is probably not going to be producing anything, and if they do they won't be good animals, Bobby may be one of the few left. Unless Davedragon starts breeding his blues like crazy!

LouDog760

5 Year Member
What about all Agama's animals? There's so many there, I feel bad for them. Has any bough any thing from them besides my friend, or are they just gonna die off.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Re: Not too many

dturner05 said:
Doesn't seem that there are too many large scale breeders left...but just to throw this out...Rick never bred...But now that Agama is probably not going to be producing anything, and if they do they won't be good animals, Bobby may be one of the few left. Unless Davedragon starts breeding his blues like crazy!
I think there is one big importer. Bobby says he is expecting to up his Tegu numbers from 600 to 1000 next year. There's going to be a big shortage next year.

We'll be lucky if we get them next year, there's no guarantee she'll produce eggs.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
LouDog760 said:
What about all Agama's animals? There's so many there, I feel bad for them. Has any bough any thing from them besides my friend, or are they just gonna die off.
I'm sure many of them died before hibernation. They'll probably do their best to sell the place of before anything wakes up in the spring.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
That's a lot of tegus that are going to just die. Dave, why don't you get into breeding them as well? I know you breed blues. Why not get some of there reds or black and whites. lol just an idea..

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
LouDog760 said:
That's a lot of tegus that are going to just die. Dave, why don't you get into breeding them as well? I know you breed blues. Why not get some of there reds or black and whites. lol just an idea..
No room. We're maxed out now.

hoosier

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
LouDog760 said:
No room. We're maxed out now.

Loudog: breeding tegus takes alot of time and space and money. thus why there really isnt many large lizard breeders out there

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is just hearsay, forgive me if it's inappropriate. Bert was so loved and I feel so bad saying anything against Agama, even though it's not his any longer. It seems that some wholesalers were buying up Agama tegu hatchlings. Word is they were smallish and had nipped toes and tails. :(

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
This is just hearsay, forgive me if it's inappropriate. Bert was so loved and I feel so bad saying anything against Agama, even though it's not his any longer. It seems that some wholesalers were buying up Agama tegu hatchlings. Word is they were smallish and had nipped toes and tails. :(

It is not hearsay, I bought twenty tegus from Timo, and they were really bad. They were very small for even fresh hatchlings. They were sick and very thin. I lost five in the first day. Timo would not answer my emails, so I called and was leaving a message on the phone, he picked up the phone said he did not care and said do not call again and hung up the phone. I was getting them for my local pet stores. Timo is not Bert, and Agama is not Bert anymore. It is Timo's garbage, nothing more, I will also add, Timo will never even come close to being a pimple on his fathers bottom :butt .

Also there are many that were talking about getting bad tegus from him, I heard many with horror stories at Daytona this season. He even asked Linda at Switzers to buy 100 that had no tails, how do you get 100 tail nips, could they be starving? I seen twenty for sale before that at the Tampa show from him without tails, and Linda bought some before that with no tails. So how many had no tail due to starving?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As for Rick, it is what it is. His site might be back though, because I know he has other sites on that server. He would stand to loose money if it stays down.

CuriousTegu760

5 Year Member
It is not hearsay, I bought twenty tegus from Timo, and they were really bad. They were very small for even fresh hatchlings. They were sick and very thin. I lost five in the first day. Timo would not answer my emails, so I called and was leaving a message on the phone, he picked up the phone said he did not care and said do not call again and hung up the phone. I was getting them for my local pet stores. Timo is not Bert, and Agama is not Bert anymore. It is Timo's garbage, nothing more, I will also add, Timo will never even come close to being a pimple on his fathers bottom :butt .

Also there are many that were talking about getting bad tegus from him, I heard many with horror stories at Daytona this season. He even asked Linda at Switzers to buy 100 that had no tails, how do you get 100 tail nips, could they be starving? I seen twenty for sale before that at the Tampa show from him without tails, and Linda bought some before that with no tails. So how many had no tail due to starving?

Wow are you serious, thats alot of tegu's without tails.
I cant believe how someone in this profession can let that happen. :(

Ya, just about a week ago I bought a female tegu from Agama and luckily she didnt have a tail missing but she was kind of on the small side tho and little bit thin.

In the past week she has grew a inch or so and she not as thin from when i got her. So I'm hoping i got a good tegu because all these stories ive been hearing about Agama is making me on stress side :( [/quote]

dturner05

5 Year Member
I just got my first tegu that originally came from Agama this year. Thank God the guy I brought it from took better care than Timo did. It still is a bit small, but is eating well and has the whole tail!

dturner05

5 Year Member
Davedragon, is there any way we can get some of the thetegu crew over here? I really enjoyed the sight recently. Rick hasn't had a hand in it in months, so in all reality it's not even his site anymore, it was ours...(not saying me personally but its users).

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't even have anyone's personal address from thetegu. Many are members of both sites.

As for Agama, I think it was Linda's tegus that I had heard about. I thought the same thing...all those tail nips? OMG, they're starving them. I was also helping a young guy through pm on thetegu who bought a tegu from Agama. They sent it two day shipping to Nebraska in freezing weather, and sadly, it died of cold shock within a few days. They sent another, but it doesn't excuse the carelessness of the first shipment.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
I don't even have anyone's personal address from thetegu. Many are members of both sites.

As for Agama, I think it was Linda's tegus that I had heard about. I thought the same thing...all those tail nips? OMG, they're starving them. I was also helping a young guy through pm on thetegu who bought a tegu from Agama. They sent it two day shipping to Nebraska in freezing weather, and sadly, it died of cold shock within a few days. They sent another, but it doesn't excuse the carelessness of the first shipment.

Laura, Bert's two sons have never cared about reptiles at all like their father. Bert talked to me before about how they would not help him and they cared nothing about the business Bert had at all. So it is not hard to figure out, it is all about the money, he even has Bert's dogs listed as guard dogs for sale on the website, they were Bert's pets. There is much more about how much Timo cared about his father's years of work, but thatÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢s enough to turn my stomach. Bert was working with the Chinese government to release more Chinese Crocodile lizards (Shinisaurus crocodilurus) back into the wild; Bert was breeding them to replenish wild populations. They are getting very rare and there are doubts there are any left at all, but Timo scratched that project when he found out there was no money to be made. I heard he sold the animals that Bert was planning on sending back to China. So the animals will just go extinct, but Timo could care less when he can sell them for money instead.

bubbategu2

5 Year Member
Wow-I'm in shock!

Boy, it sure is sad to hear about Agama! Doesn't Hester have anything to do with the reptiles at all? I've actually been talking (e-mailing) with her about some Lacertas but you all are freaking me out! I don't want to be buying sick/dead lizards. And thetegu.com is gone now?!! I'm with you laurafl, I'm totally gonna miss that website-it felt like family. Bubbategu2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980