• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

livvsha

Hi I have a 2 year old tegu who weighs 13.5 pounds. She always crawls under my queen size mattress and it looks like it crushes her, but every time I move her out from under the mattress and sit on the bed so she can't crawl under it, she claws and scratches the side of the mattress trying to squeeze herself underneath it again. I give her blankets to crawl underneath of, but she keeps trying to go under the mattress. I wanted to try making her a weighted blanket (bc they are so expensive and in case she pees on it) to see if that would give her the same feeling as having a queen size mattress on top of her. Has anyone made a weighted blanket for a tegu before? I have a few questions about this.
How could I make it waterproof?
How to avoid it ripping from her nails if she scratches?
How heavy should it be? (she's 13.5 pounds) it is recommended for people that a weighted blanket is 10% of their body weight but I think 1.35 pounds is probably the weight of a normal blanket.
Is this behavior normal? Has anyone else experienced their tegu wanting to be under heavy weight?

Thanks in advance!!

LizardStudent

I indeed have experienced my gu trying to be under heavy weight, its like she wants me to crush her so she can feel secure lol which makes sense to me, since they love to burrow and all of that dirt on top of them will be pretty heavy.

I have not tried making a weighted blanket ever, but I did buy my girl a soft heated blanket that plugs in, and she seems to recognize that the blanket is "hers" and won't ever pee on it. If I am sitting with her in my lap and she's bundled up in this blanket, she will claw her way out of it just to jump off my lap so she can pee, and then she wants to return to the blanket. They are relatively clean reptiles in that they will not just defecate wherever they are sitting, they seem to like to get away from their waste and are happier if its cleaned up promptly. Thus I have never had any issues with her damaging her heated blanket in any way- just lots of scales on it :)

Mich lady

Hi I have a 2 year old tegu who weighs 13.5 pounds. She always crawls under my queen size mattress and it looks like it crushes her, but every time I move her out from under the mattress and sit on the bed so she can't crawl under it, she claws and scratches the side of the mattress trying to squeeze herself underneath it again. I give her blankets to crawl underneath of, but she keeps trying to go under the mattress. I wanted to try making her a weighted blanket (bc they are so expensive and in case she pees on it) to see if that would give her the same feeling as having a queen size mattress on top of her. Has anyone made a weighted blanket for a tegu before? I have a few questions about this.
How could I make it waterproof?
How to avoid it ripping from her nails if she scratches?
How heavy should it be? (she's 13.5 pounds) it is recommended for people that a weighted blanket is 10% of their body weight but I think 1.35 pounds is probably the weight of a normal blanket.
Is this behavior normal? Has anyone else experienced their tegu wanting to be under heavy weight?

Thanks in advance!!
Ooo,she is a big girl. I have a male black and white. He is just over 2. I'm not sure how much he weighs. But I don't think he's 13 pounds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam